Fast Improvement Training Method for Shot Making

What you are saying is that step 1 is to practice really hard on getting a straight stroke. Then step 2 is pocketing balls with that straight stroke. How do you know you are doing the same stroke in step 2 as you are in step 1? You said yourself that cutting balls is different from full shots or "dry" practice. You also said you were swerving your stroke without even knowing it until you saw it on video. My point is that you have two basic variables, aim and stroke, and you are not controlling for either in step 2. I thought you were trying to control aim in step 2 by aiming at the ghost ball circle on the AimRight. If not, I still don't understand the point. This makes it no different than just hitting balls over and over. What am I missing?
I appreciate that it seems confusing. I think partly it's because I'm human and don't do things as I'm supposed to. The swerving on cut shots is partly long habit, but it's also a mechanical thing where I move my body to see/follow the shot result after the CB has been hit (mostly anyways). Today I tried following the cue ball visually and it reversed my direction of movement and it was less because the thin cut didn't have the cue ball move at much of an angle. I need a better solution -- like move my eyes only or something.

But I try not to practice too hard on part 1. I try to spend only enough time to find one or two things that seem to cause the most error (like in deviation of the laser dot (what I was doing today) and see what I need to change to improve. Today I saw that I needed to adjust my shooting arm position and angle; and I learned that the wrist motion through the stroke had reverted back to old ways. I rehearsed the new position and stroke with new wrist motion for a minute and then started shooting part 2 again to see my results. Today, the results were excellent except for very hard strokes, where i seriously lost form and control. I'll work on that later.

When shooting the part 2 drill, I'm not using the AimRight for aiming. I'm using a rail target. I'm trying to shoot straight at it and ignore both the ball and any temptations to adjust my aim left or right of that rail target. So, it's like aiming at a straight in shot or more accurately, it's like shooting the out and back drill -- except for my flaw of then following the path of that object ball with my body.

When I feel I've gotten this under control at a level of difficulty I think i should master, I'll then switch to aiming the shot as a normal cut shot. i'll attempt to sight/aim as I have for cuts of this angle (61 degrees right now -- 1/8 hit) and see the results. If unsatisfactory, I'll try to adjust slightly. If that doesn't work, I'll switch to some other aiming method. For example, switch among contact point, double the distance, ghost ball, intuition, etc. But during Part 2 of this shot, I'm not 'aiming' the 61 degree cut -- or at least I'm trying not to.

I've already done this process for 1/4 ball hits. I tried to slightly adjust, but could not get consistency. I switched to a different aiming method and got consistency. I'm waiting to see if I make the same change for 61 degree cuts. And after I figure this out, I'll probably do 3/8 hit next and then 1/16 after that. By that time, hopefully, my accuracy and consistency will have improved and stabilized and support my shooting such a thin cut and learning to aim it best for me.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate that it seems confusing. I think partly it's because I'm human and don't do things as I'm supposed to. The swerving on cut shots is partly long habit, but it's also a mechanical thing where I move my body to see/follow the shot result after the CB has been hit (mostly anyways). Today I tried following the cue ball visually and it reversed my direction of movement and it was less because the thin cut didn't have the cue ball move at much of an angle. I need a better solution -- like move my eyes only or something.

But I try not to practice too hard on part 1. I try to spend only enough time to find one or two things that seem to cause the most error (like in deviation of the laser dot (what I was doing today) and see what I need to change to improve. Today I saw that I needed to adjust my shooting arm position and angle; and I learned that the wrist motion through the stroke had reverted back to old ways. I rehearsed the new position and stroke with new wrist motion for a minute and then started shooting part 2 again to see my results. Today, the results were excellent except for very hard strokes, where i seriously lost form and control. I'll work on that later.

When shooting the part 2 drill, I'm not using the AimRight for aiming. I'm using a rail target. I'm trying to shoot straight at it and ignore both the ball and any temptations to adjust my aim left or right of that rail target. So, it's like aiming at a straight in shot or more accurately, it's like shooting the out and back drill -- except for my flaw of then following the path of that object ball with my body.

When I feel I've gotten this under control at a level of difficulty I think i should master, I'll then switch to aiming the shot as a normal cut shot. i'll attempt to sight/aim as I have for cuts of this angle (61 degrees right now -- 1/8 hit) and see the results. If unsatisfactory, I'll try to adjust slightly. If that doesn't work, I'll switch to some other aiming method. For example, switch among contact point, double the distance, ghost ball, intuition, etc. But during Part 2 of this shot, I'm not 'aiming' the 61 degree cut -- or at least I'm trying not to.

I've already done this process for 1/4 ball hits. I tried to slightly adjust, but could not get consistency. I switched to a different aiming method and got consistency. I'm waiting to see if I make the same change for 61 degree cuts. And after I figure this out, I'll probably do 3/8 hit next and then 1/16 after that. By that time, hopefully, my accuracy and consistency will have improved and stabilized and support my shooting such a thin cut and learning to aim it best for me.
Well good luck. If something works keep doing it!

Paul_#_

AimPro-Ray’s video “AimRight Straight-Cut Drill Introduction” described another test like that of the the down-and-back drill. The test shows when your aiming is wrong in many more types of shots than the straight shot of the down-and-back drill. Ray used his AimRight card and did calculations to show that his failure to make short cut shots was not because of cut-induced-throw or because he had set up his card wrong. The video showed that the AimRight plastic card can be used across many cut shots to determine when you aimed at the correct spot on the object ball but missed anyway.

If the person — as Ray did in the video — misses his shots, Ray knew it was because of a stroke, vision, or ??? problem. The video was very educational and convincing because it showed Courageous Ray’s wobbly stroke and, it didn't take much to figure, that the wobbly stroke was a reason why Ray consistently missed potting the ball despite aiming at the right spot. Ray’s method doesn’t tell you why you are not hitting what you are aiming at but it is useful in instructing player his failure is probably not because of CIT, a wrong (but diligently set up) AimRight card, or some other reason suggesting player hit the ghost-ball center (but didn't pot the ball anyway).

AimRight helps show — as other products do — where the ghost-ball middle is on the pool-table felt. Combine that with a product that places a small light over that ghost-ball middle, above the ghost ball? That is a near-perfect aiming point for the ghost-ball center and to hit the object ball while the two products are on the felt. See photo below of AimRight combined with the Pot Pro Potting/Aiming Training Aid for a half-ball hit (see Pot Pro at https://www.ebay.com/itm/1447871550...d=link&campid=5335988529&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 )

AimRight__Pot_Pro combo_smaller.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... AimRight helps show — as other products do — where the ghost-ball middle is on the pool-table felt.
One example of another product that does that is Cranfield's Arrow. The cost of a single Cranfield's Arrow that will last for months with careful use is under a penny.

Why not just use Cranfield's Arrow? It was developed by a World Champion.

Reactions: bbb

Paul_#_

Why not just use Cranfield's Arrow?
Convenience — Buying AimRight means you don’t have to find hardstock paper and make Cranfield’s arrow.

AimRight's card is plastic laminated versus the Arrow's hardstock paper (I doubt you want to use cardboard and hit the object ball)

AimRight comes with two cards to be used to determine cut-shot angle if aiming from the left or right of the object ball.

Angle Determination — Only AimRight shows the cut-shot angle. Angles, 1/4 ball hit, and ½ ball hit are not discussed in Cranfield’s “The Straight Pool Bible” or "Basic Pool" and their sections on his Arrow. These are helpful concepts and are made clearer only with AimRight.

You can see the angle of your shot using AimRight across the length of a 9' table.

Only AimRight reminds the user that you measure the cut-shot angle from the ghost-ball center (not object ball). Some players don’t know this and it is made obvious with the AimRight cards.

AimRight has users guide that discusses cut-shot angles (maybe too much) versus Cranfield's books that don't discuss cut-shot angles.

AimRight/Arrow versus others?
AimRight and Cranfield’s arrow only show you where to hit on the felt. A player tries to aim at a ball and not the felt. It is even harder to aim at the felt when down on a shot. Some products (or a combo like that in my photo) are superior to AimRight/Arrow on where to hit.

Convenience — Buying AimRight means you don’t have to find hardstock paper and make Cranfield’s arrow.

AimRight's card is plastic laminated versus the Arrow's hardstock paper (I doubt you want to use cardboard and hit the object ball)

AimRight comes with two cards to be used to determine cut-shot angle if aiming from the left or right of the object ball.

Angle Determination — Only AimRight shows the cut-shot angle. Angles, 1/4 ball hit, and ½ ball hit are not discussed in Cranfield’s “The Straight Pool Bible” or "Basic Pool" and their sections on his Arrow. These are helpful concepts and are made clearer only with AimRight.

You can see the angle of your shot using AimRight across the length of a 9' table.

Only AimRight reminds the user that you measure the cut-shot angle from the ghost-ball center (not object ball). Some players don’t know this and it is made obvious with the AimRight cards.

AimRight has users guide that discusses cut-shot angles (maybe too much) versus Cranfield's books that don't discuss cut-shot angles.

AimRight/Arrow versus others? AimRight and Cranfield’s arrow only show you where to hit on the felt. A player tries to aim at a ball and not the felt. It is even harder to aim at the felt when down on a shot. Some products (or a combo like that in my photo) are superior to AimRight/Arrow on where to hit.
I think you are quite accurate in describing the AimRight product and thanks for your support.

I agree that an aiming aid that shows the contact point at the right elevation is ideal. I think the extra value there depends upon the person and their needs.

I have greatly improved my accuracy in the 5 - 6 weeks since starting down this training path. I can't say what people might think of how my stroke looks now; it likely won't measure up for some. But again, dramatically improved results and RESULTS are my goal. I was able to successively find the NEXT flaw and find its cause and the fix multiple times. So, my accuracy is now VERY good compared to where I started -- the best in my whole life.

I might create and post a new YouTube video showing this, but I'm inhibited -- at least of posting it here -- because of so many focusing on my stroke flaws and not on the new Method and its potential. I want to show the results I've gotten, but it's hard to be motivated given the responses I've gotten here.

And now I'm ready for part 3 of my FIT Method, because I've learned that my prior aiming methods for thin cuts at distance are poor, as my shot making percentage degrades substantially when I switch to AIMING the shots. I've found a fix for quarter ball hits, but the eighth ball hits aiming seems challenging. I fear I may need to change my visual alignment.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you are quite accurate in describing the AimRight product and thanks for your support.

I agree that an aiming aid that shows the contact point at the right elevation is ideal. I think the extra value there depends upon the person and their needs.
But to be clear you said the AimRight has nothing to do with your recent improvement, right?

But to be clear you said the AimRight has nothing to do with your recent improvement, right?
As I've said numerous times, the AimRight makes it MUCH easier to do the setup, but otherwise is unused for Part 2 -- because Part 2 is not about AIMING. Part 2 is a modification of the CB out and back drill and doesn't require cut angle aiming. And in the last few weeks, I've just had donuts on the table for ball positioning (setup using the AimRights, a laser, a tape measure and computed data). I didn't want to keep setting up and tearing down for each practice session and most don't mind my leaving the donuts on the table. Setting up donuts is harder to do accurately than setting up with an AimRight, but in this case it's easier overall because at my clubhouse, I can leave the donuts on the table for multiple days.

For Part 3, which is all about AIMING, the AimRights could be used if one wants to use the contact point indication or ghost ball outline (or base) or aiming lines; I'll try first without using those first for whatever angles I'm working on for aim. If I struggle too much with aim, I'll put the AimRights back on the table and see what I can learn, using those aiming aids.

The other implicit aid is knowing the cut angle; this underlies the entire setup. Knowing the cut angle can aid aiming for many aiming systems/methods. So the AimRight leads one to setup for specific known angles and then one might aim based on those known angles. In the long term the goal is to develop automatic aiming. In the medium term in games, one might need to develop the skill to determine/estimate the cut angle of the current shot to help with one's aiming.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I've said numerous times, the AimRight makes it MUCH easier to do the setup, but otherwise is unused for Part 2 -- because Part 2 is not about AIMING. Part 2 is a modification of the CB out and back drill and doesn't require cut angle aiming. And in the last few weeks, I've just had donuts on the table for ball positioning (setup using the AimRights, a laser, a tape measure and computed data). I didn't want to keep setting up and tearing down for each practice session and most don't mind my leaving the donuts on the table. Setting up donuts is harder to do accurately than setting up with an AimRight, but in this case it's easier overall because at my clubhouse, I can leave the donuts on the table for multiple days.

For Part 3, which is all about AIMING, the AimRights could be used if one wants to use the contact point indication or ghost ball outline (or base) or aiming lines; I'll try first without using those first for whatever angles I'm working on for aim. If I struggle too much with aim, I'll put the AimRights back on the table and see what I can learn, using those aiming aids.

The other implicit aid is knowing the cut angle; this underlies the entire setup. Knowing the cut angle can aid aiming for many aiming systems/methods. So the AimRight leads one to setup for specific known angles and then one might aim based on those known angles. In the long term the goal is to develop automatic aiming. In the medium term in games, one might need to develop the skill to determine/estimate the cut angle of the current shot to help with one's aiming.
Well, if it works for you then do it. I still don't understand the benefit of the precise set up. You are not eliminating any variables so I'm not sure what the point is.

Well, if it works for you then do it. I still don't understand the benefit of the precise set up. You are not eliminating any variables so I'm not sure what the point is.
This (Part 2) eliminates cut shot aiming and by design gives some help to minimize 'cut shot' errors like arm swerving).
Precision setup allows this idea to work. Without the precision, you will miss the shot until you learn to cheat -- which just means developing more bad habits.

And the progressive nature is about solving the most important source of stroke inaccuracy first -j- where you see the results immediately and then move to a shot requiring a bit more accuracy and finding the next stroke flaw. Note: it's important to work on the easiest shot that causes problems so that only one or two flaws need work at one time. So, no cut shot aiming is involved and one works on whatever is the most important problem area for the player so results can be observed and give feedback about the results of whatever fix is being attempted.

What is it NOT? It is not mixing cut shot aiming with stroke accuracy refinement. It is not trying to do everything at once that is 'pool wisdom' for how to stroke accurately. There are many variations to success and why work on something that's not an important cause of a player's errors at his level? Only when the stroke (and straight sighting) is sufficiently accurate, move on to learn/refine aiming. Note: doing both left and right implicit cuts are essential to find and fix flaws rather than invent new ones. At this point (accurate stroke), misses are caused by flawed aiming/sighting and that can be addressed independently of stroke quality.

If you were to learn sky diving, would you want to just be taken up in the air and thrown out with a checklist and try it all at once, or would you rather have a ground school first and learn/practice what to do incrementally and maybe fall a short distance into sand and learn how to hit and roll? It's more exciting to just immediately jump out of the plane, but you are likely to burn in more bad habits. That can be minimized if the skills can be worked on separately.

Is all of this discussion academic or can you personally gain from an improvement in your shot making (accuracy and aiming)? If I ever convince you that there's merit, then what?

Can you ever be convinced by theory or do you need 'proof' besides that it's working for me?

lets see a video of the new you
I'm hearing your request as a skeptical challenge, partly because you don't commit to any payoff if I provide something convincing. Is that what you intended?

I've not played for ~10 days because I've been ill. I'll soon restart and once back in the groove, I expect to video some sessions. And likely post something on my YouTube channel. That will take probably one to six weeks-- I'm slow to produce and publish my videos and I have limited time left at this location. And then no pool for at least a month. So I may favor spending my remaining time on the table and delay publishing until April, when I will likely have more free time for making/publishing a video. We'll see.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm hearing your request as a skeptical challenge, partly because you don't commit to any payoff if I provide something convincing. Is that what you intended?

I've not played for ~10 days because I've been ill. I'll soon restart and once back in the groove, I expect to video some sessions. And likely post something on my YouTube channel. That will take probably one to six weeks-- I'm slow to produce and publish my videos and I have limited time left at this location. And then no pool for at least a month. So I may favor spending my remaining time on the table and delay publishing until April, when I will likely have more free time for making/publishing a video. We'll see.
you are hearing your own voices in your head
you are claiming to have solved many issues with your stroke
i would just like to see the new you
why you would interpret what i said in the way you did i have no clue

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This (Part 2) eliminates cut shot aiming and by design gives some help to minimize 'cut shot' errors like arm swerving).
Precision setup allows this idea to work. Without the precision, you will miss the shot until you learn to cheat -- which just means developing more bad habits.

And the progressive nature is about solving the most important source of stroke inaccuracy first -j- where you see the results immediately and then move to a shot requiring a bit more accuracy and finding the next stroke flaw. Note: it's important to work on the easiest shot that causes problems so that only one or two flaws need work at one time. So, no cut shot aiming is involved and one works on whatever is the most important problem area for the player so results can be observed and give feedback about the results of whatever fix is being attempted.

What is it NOT? It is not mixing cut shot aiming with stroke accuracy refinement. It is not trying to do everything at once that is 'pool wisdom' for how to stroke accurately. There are many variations to success and why work on something that's not an important cause of a player's errors at his level? Only when the stroke (and straight sighting) is sufficiently accurate, move on to learn/refine aiming. Note: doing both left and right implicit cuts are essential to find and fix flaws rather than invent new ones. At this point (accurate stroke), misses are caused by flawed aiming/sighting and that can be addressed independently of stroke quality.

If you were to learn sky diving, would you want to just be taken up in the air and thrown out with a checklist and try it all at once, or would you rather have a ground school first and learn/practice what to do incrementally and maybe fall a short distance into sand and learn how to hit and roll? It's more exciting to just immediately jump out of the plane, but you are likely to burn in more bad habits. That can be minimized if the skills can be worked on separately.

Is all of this discussion academic or can you personally gain from an improvement in your shot making (accuracy and aiming)? If I ever convince you that there's merit, then what?

Can you ever be convinced by theory or do you need 'proof' besides that it's working for me?
Referring to the bold items -- You say you are not aiming in part 2. I think you said you are aiming at a spot on the rail or something like that. This is the crux of my confusion. I thought you were aiming at the circle on the AimRight and this would eliminate the aim variable as long as you truly held true to aiming right at that circle. But then you said you were not using that. How are you sure that you are not adjusting your aim (instead of correcting your stroke) in order to pocket the ball? It seems to me if you don't have a clear, easy target like a full ball or even a half ball hit, or a hole reinforcer to run the cue ball over, how do you know you are eliminating the "aim" variable?

I've already done the kinds of things you are suggesting. I set up several kinds of shots and shot them over and over trying not to adjust my aim but rather adjust how I stroked the cue. If this is what you are doing then precise set up is not necessary. It just has to be repeatable. It works, but I surmise that you have to be a pretty advanced player to be able to keep aim and stroke from interfering with each other.

I can be convinced by theory but, with all due respect, you are not explaining things clearly enough for me to understand. I'm trying.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From my perspective, your question could have been taken as a challenge. Sometimes writing is hard to interpret and some of us have been challenging him. If he knew you better he might not think as such. You are usually a fuzz ball.:)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From my perspective, your question could have been taken as a challenge. Sometimes writing is hard to interpret and some of us have been challenging him. If he knew you better he might not think as such. You are usually a fuzz ball.:)
i am a warm fuzzy ball....;)
it was not a challenge
in general i am non confrontational unless pushed
just wanted to see what he says is great improvement
we have a before from his first video

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
How are you sure that you are not adjusting your aim (instead of correcting your stroke) in order to pocket the ball? It seems to me if you don't have a clear, easy target like a full ball or even a half ball hit, or a hole reinforcer to run the cue ball over, how do you know you are eliminating the "aim" variable?
Even if there was a specific spot to aim for....It may IMO be a deterrent....I also think IMO...no matter what aiming system you are using there is a variable of subliminal adjustment....a GB center spot may not be visually what is best for someone.....

I find that I want any GB aiming aid out of the way as soon as possible....I feel it is only good for demonstration purposes and not a tool for developing ones stroke....

Example....I made a GB 3 line converter. Sometimes it is hard to tell is this a 1/4 ball shot or edge of ball shot....or even off the ball shot....You may be just not seeing it that day......I made this GB 3 line converter to show which line you are using...

3LC1.jpg
3LC2.jpg

The GB center cut out is about the size of the tip of your cue....you can place it there and extend the line of the cue to show which shot line you are on....

Here is where it gets goofy.....If I focus my aim on the GB center (clearly marked) my pocketing is dismal....If I convert it to one of the 3-line locations my pocketing improves.....If I then remove the GB converter and use my own guesstimate of GB center and extension to the shot line on the OB....I pocket more shots.

I fully believe my visual subconscious makes any fine tune adjustments to the shot line.

So...IMO....GB or external devices should only be used for demonstration purposes to develop an awareness or ability to measure out where the GB center should be....and then converted to a aim point, contact point, vertical line point, overlap, shadow or whatever else you aim at to pocket the ball....Even using GB center (I feel) you will make some subliminal adjustments.....If there is no actual mark there from a device that you did not pick on your own.

Add to that.....the sharper the cut....the more subliminal fine tune input we are using as the precision necessary to pocket a cut shot goes up as the cut gets sharper........IMO

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Even if there was a specific spot to aim for....It may IMO be a deterrent....I also think IMO...no matter what aiming system you are using there is a variable of subliminal adjustment....a GB center spot may not be visually what is best for someone.....

I find that I want any GB aiming aid out of the way as soon as possible....I feel it is only good for demonstration purposes and not a tool for developing ones stroke....

Example....I made a GB 3 line converter. Sometimes it is hard to tell is this a 1/4 ball shot or edge of ball shot....or even off the ball shot....You may be just not seeing it that day......I made this GB 3 line converter to show which line you are using...

View attachment 748299View attachment 748300

The GB center cut out is about the size of the tip of your cue....you can place it there and extend the line of the cue to show which shot line you are on....

Here is where it gets goofy.....If I focus my aim on the GB center (clearly marked) my pocketing is dismal....If I convert it to one of the 3-line locations my pocketing improves.....If I then remove the GB converter and use my own guesstimate of GB center and extension to the shot line on the OB....I pocket more shots.

I fully believe my visual subconscious makes any fine tune adjustments to the shot line.

So...IMO....GB or external devices should only be used for demonstration purposes to develop an awareness or ability to measure out where the GB center should be....and then converted to a aim point, contact point, vertical line point, overlap, shadow or whatever else you aim at to pocket the ball....Even using GB center (I feel) you will make some subliminal adjustments.....If there is no actual mark there from a device that you did not pick on your own.

Add to that.....the sharper the cut....the more subliminal fine tune input we are using as the precision necessary to pocket a cut shot goes up as the cut gets sharper........IMO
Neat device.

I've found with aiming there is much more going on than most people realize (this isn't meant towards OP, just in general). If your head is tilted, your aim is off. Sometimes holding a cue out parallel to the floor can get you seeing what true level is. This is especially true for people with physical problems, like back, neck, tight muscles etc. I've also found that you can easily miss a ball if you're not perceiving it correctly. Most people blame missing on a bad aim, when it could in fact be from visual distortions or even stroke errors. This game is brutal but at least it gives us something to work towards! :)

It sounds silly but when my back is out of whack, I'll hold the cue vertical and sight the OB. Basically if you focus on it you will see two "ghost cues" for lack of a better word. Center the OB in those and come down on the line. It's screwy but it works. It's pretty amazing how far you can be off and think you're aiming correctly when your body isn't cooperating that day. I also take some feather strokes to assure my stroke is straight. Of course if it's not it's get back up and reset. It doesn't take more than a rack or two of 9B using this until you can be confident you're not tilting or something, then can go more into rote shooting.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Frustration from AZB naysayers, so I appreciate your sincerity. APB is thoughtful, methodical, a kind person.

Thank you.