Faster cloth on 7 footer

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
You must play in nicer bars than I do :)

I played a bit on a 7' Diamond with Predator cloth, this certainly seemed to be the faster grade, it was certainly playing very fast. I actually enjoyed it, even though I typically enjoy a little slower cloth. It wasn't too hard to hold back on my stroke and dial back the spin. It was fun seeing how a small stroke and one tip of English could move the cue ball effectively.On a 9' table, there's a part of me that thinks I need to blast the ball and load up with spin if I want it to last all the way to the other end of the table. It was easier for me to maintain a more delicate mindset on

I like bar box 9 ball more than most and one of my favorite joys is the ability to move 2 or 3 rails using a little English and small stroke.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
That's a good point. I was thinking of a lot of backspin that catches when the ball contacts the rail. Your scenario is something that happens pretty regularly, mine is pretty unlikely except maybe a masse shot.

I think we are accustomed to seeing a ball rebound off a rail with a bit less speed than it came in with. If a rail is extra bouncy, the ball may come off faster than expected, appearing to gain speed.
Every time someone says that the ball rebounds faster off of the rail than it went in my minds eye always pictures a cue going rail to rail the short way speeding up each time until everyone in the bar finally ducks the missle that comes flying off of the table. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"The ball just would not stop!!!!"

Nyquil

860hr is about perfect imo. I played on some real fast stuff and over running is annoying. Do you live in a high humidity area?

tomatoshooter

860hr is about perfect imo. I played on some real fast stuff and over running is annoying. Do you live in a high humidity area?
How much difference does the installation make? I've played in a couple of different rooms the both have 860. One seemed a bit faster than the other. The faster one seemed slide less, too. It was pretty recently recovered. The slower one was probably no more than a week old. Like you say humidity is another factor. My table at home is slower so I'm working a little outside my comfort zone and my perceptions my be a little distorted, but a much more skilled friend also noticed the difference in speed.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Southern California which typically has relatively low humidity.

However, the heavy rain we got this past winter led to high levels of moisture in my garage. The ceiling is fully sealed- there weren't any leaks in the garage, but it did lead to some of the cloth bunching up and the table slowing down considerably.

Now that it has been several months since the heavy rain, it has improved. I might wait another year before having it recovered because an El Nino weather event is expected this coming winter which often leads to more heavy rain- kind of feel like it is best to let the old cloth absorb that and then start over next summer.

RT Ford

I have a 7 footer in my garage that needs new cloth (I’ve had it for 9 years and it gets a lot of play).

I want somewhat faster cloth. I think I had simonis 860 put on originally- plays slower than a lot of tables I play outside of my house.

Is Simonis 760 advised for faster cloth?

Also, the cushions seem to be in good shape still. Is it common practice to get new cushions when getting new cloth? I’ve never had a table redone before so I have no previous experience
I re-covered a table in a garage once and although the cloth was pulled very tight, the customer called me a couple of days later and complained that the cloth had become very loose. I figured it was the humidity in the garage and recommended he use a hair dryer on the table. He called me back an hour later and said the cloth was tight as a drum. Problem solved. Good cushions should last for many years, although even Brunswick gets a bad batch occasionally.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I re-covered a table in a garage once and although the cloth was pulled very tight, the customer called me a couple of days later and complained that the cloth had become very loose. I figured it was the humidity in the garage and recommended he use a hair dryer on the table. He called me back an hour later and said the cloth was tight as a drum. Problem solved. Good cushions should last for many years, although even Brunswick gets a bad batch occasionally.
I have a 7ft Shelti table with Champion cloth, guy recovered and used glue to hold the cloth, one piece slate it plays fine. Is that odd way to cover table?

Nyquil

I live in Southern California which typically has relatively low humidity.

However, the heavy rain we got this past winter led to high levels of moisture in my garage. The ceiling is fully sealed- there weren't any leaks in the garage, but it did lead to some of the cloth bunching up and the table slowing down considerably.

Now that it has been several months since the heavy rain, it has improved. I might wait another year before having it recovered because an El Nino weather event is expected this coming winter which often leads to more heavy rain- kind of feel like it is best to let the old cloth absorb that and then start over next summer.
You got a dehumidifier in the garage?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have a 7ft Shelti table with Champion cloth, guy recovered and used glue to hold the cloth, one piece slate it plays fine. Is that odd way to cover table?

I think that’s a typical method but you could ask in the mechanic forum to get a pro answer.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You have no choice on Valleys, the slate does not have wood backing so there is nothing to staple the cloth to. I have a Gold Crown, that has wood backing and my old cloth was stapled. When it was time to recover I glued the cloth down instead of stapling it, I'm not a table mechanic but as long as you use good contact cement I think gluing is the better method.

RT Ford

I have a 7ft Shelti table with Champion cloth, guy recovered and used glue to hold the cloth, one piece slate it plays fine. Is that odd way to cover ta
The cloth on some tables can be glued instead of stapled. It depends on the way the table is constructed. I've re-covered tables where the cloth was stapled, but after removing the rail assembly, saw that it was possible to glue the cloth instead. It's nice to be able to do that because it makes it easier to re-cover later on if you don't have to remove a lot of staples. P.S. - Never heard of a Shelti table.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consider a ball rolling slowly but with lots of <outside> side spin, hee it very well might accelerate as it bounces off the rail by converting side spin into linear velocity.
All day long it can rebound faster. Depends on the setup and as you stated, spin it's coming into the rail with.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'm finally going to get it replaced next week and I'll likely ask for the Simonis 860 HR.

How much should I anticipate it costing me?

Justaneng

Registered
I think I'm finally going to get it replaced next week and I'll likely ask for the Simonis 860 HR.

How much should I anticipate it costing me?

I just had an 8-footer done a few weeks ago with tournament blue Simonis 860 (not HR). Quoted cost was $250 labor plus whatever the cloth cost him, which was $320.

My dog supervised the whole operation from a furniture pad in the corner, he said it was a fair price, but they may have been bribing him with the treats I keep by the pool table.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had an 8-footer done a few weeks ago with tournament blue Simonis 860 (not HR). Quoted cost was $250 labor plus whatever the cloth cost him, which was $320.

My dog supervised the whole operation from a furniture pad in the corner, he said it was a fair price, but they may have been bribing him with the treats I keep by the pool table.
Thanks- needed a ballpark figure. I’ve never had the cloth replaced

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy could only get 760 in the shortage and put it on his 7’. I gamble long sets with him all the time on that table. It was too fast on day 1 but after it broke in I feel it plays just fine.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 7 footer with 760 on it. It plays very fast and I constantly overshoot position. I don't hate it, but I'll be the first to admit that a bit slower cloth would probably be preferred for most people.
Cloth that is too fast can be brutal on a 7 foot table, as the positioning windows are smaller for all games. If you combine fast cloth with bouncy lively cushions, it’s really challenging.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Look at the some of the cushion selling Names that were used in the past.

Super Speed........ lol hell I knew a player, called Super Stroke. :)
I'm sure a few others might.
Made me dbl park at a gas station some 40 yrs ago, he did his thing and come out of the
store with his supplies and Made $20.
Short change artist.
That's why he asked me too park close to the front door.