Favorite cloth color

gbs52

Registered
Since you can’t get Simonis what would be your favorite color in the Championship line of felt? Have you played on the academy blue or steel gray? Would be for a home table with no consideration to have to match decors.

L.S. Dennis

There was once a place in San Francisco called Whitehead and Zimmerman, maybe some of you old timers might remember it, I went in there once to get the rails re clothed, he asked me what color I would like and I said well I’m not sure what do you think and he told me, “There are two things in this world that need to be green one is pool tablet cloth and the other is dollar bills!” So the answer is GREEN!!!

And while we’re at it the five needs to to be ORANGE the four needs to be PURPLE and the seven needs to be MAROON!!!

Greg M

Olive green or powder blue. Unpopular opinion, but I've never liked the deeper blue colour on the American tables. Between the blue or the grey, I'd choose the latter.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The blue is hard on my eyes also, for some reason, so I put Simonis Green on my GC. But I'm not familiar enough with the colors of other brands, to be able to recommend one.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
@gbs52
If you havent already purchased the championshipe felt, I suggest looking into either Cpba billiard cloth , or Ozone super speed cloth , Andys cloth is good as well. All 3 I mentioned above are very comparable & and play very similar to Simonis 860 , at half the price, or slightly above half the price of simonis.

I had simonis tournament blue 860 on my gc3, 4yrs ago , after that I went to cpba cloth for 3 yrs, now this past September I replaced cpba with ozone speed cloth. All 3 are hard to tell apart in terms of playability, and speed .

Link to cpba cloth review

Ozone speed cloths is becoming harder to find, but its still around.

I suggest steel grey for your table , its nice & easy on the eyes, its neutral ,& it gives the table bed a nice modern look.

Grimper

Since you can’t get Simonis what would be your favorite color in the Championship line of felt? Have you played on the academy blue or steel gray? Would be for a home table with no consideration to have to match decors.
I really like my steel gray (well, I think its real name is like Gun Metal Gray).

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I get beat too quickly to notice. I think I can see the edges of the balls a little better on blue but lighting quality is also a factor. Green is near the center of the visible spectrum so our eyes have and easier time looking at it.
That's part of it. The blue is OK if the light is relatively soft. But when you get up to around 4000k or higher, it's too much for my eyes after a while.

The pigments that are present in the cloth reflect the blue spectrum emitted by the light source used. There is a reason that sunglasses advertise as "blue blockers". They filter out the blue spectrum because it isn't great for your eyes. The harmful blue rays do not have to be in the "invisible" ultraviolet wavelength your eyes can't see. The visible portion of the light blue spectrum is harmful also. I think that's why my eyes feel fatigue much faster playing on blue cloth then when playing on green cloth. But it does depend on how intense the lighting is.

I haven't played on the Shark Grey personally, but it does appeal to me when watching it on TV or phone. It looks "calming" to me. Blue kind of screams at you. Green seems natural. Don't EVEN want to talk about red.

How many of you would want to play golf on a blue faraway? It would be completely un natural. Oh... and Kentucky Bluegrass doesn't count as blue! Lol

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

That's part of it. The blue is OK if the light is relatively soft. But when you get up to around 4000k or higher, it's too much for my eyes after a while.

The pigments that are present in the cloth reflect the blue spectrum emitted by the light source used. There is a reason that sunglasses advertise as "blue blockers". They filter out the blue spectrum because it isn't great for your eyes. The harmful blue rays do not have to be in the "invisible" ultraviolet wavelength your eyes can't see. The visible portion of the light blue spectrum is harmful also. I think that's why my eyes feel fatigue much faster playing on blue cloth then when playing on green cloth. But it does depend on how intense the lighting is.

I haven't played on the Shark Grey personally, but it does appeal to me when watching it on TV or phone. It looks "calming" to me. Blue kind of screams at you. Green seems natural. Don't EVEN want to talk about red.

How many of you would want to play golf on a blue faraway? It would be completely un natural. Oh... and Kentucky Bluegrass doesn't count as blue! Lol
I know the different wavelengths of light do not refract/focus at exactly the same point, green being in the middle means that focusing the green will keep the outer edges relatively closer to focused. I wonder if this makes the balls jump out on the blue. I couldn't find the color temperature listed for my lights, and that is certainly a major factor.

Red cloth? yeah, I don't want my pool room to look like a whorehouse. I'm running a classy joint here!