Ferulle scratched up-how to fix

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
A friend of mine tuned up my tip with his Ultimate Tip tool and the tip is a nice shape, but it left scratch marks on the ferulle. I clean it once a week with a Majic eraser. How do I get it nice & smooth again? Will the Majic eraser smooth it out or do I need emory cloth or 600 or something?

Thanx,
"CH":)

dave fingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He actually carved a groove into your ferrule. I bet its a ring that runs all the way around your ferrule. You may be able to sand it out by hand, a better choice is to have it done on a lathe so the ferrule can be kept round. I'd never suggest using the burnishing forks on the Ultimate tool, as I've seen it pop off a lot of tips. If he was sanding the sides of the tip (and ferrule) then you should not be allowed to play for 2 weeks because you allowed it!!!

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
dave fingers said:
He actually carved a groove into your ferrule. I bet its a ring that runs all the way around your ferrule. You may be able to sand it out by hand, a better choice is to have it done on a lathe so the ferrule can be kept round. I'd never suggest using the burnishing forks on the Ultimate tool, as I've seen it pop off a lot of tips. If he was sanding the sides of the tip (and ferrule) then you should not be allowed to play for 2 weeks because you allowed it!!!

They are small vertical scratches from when he shaved the side of the tip.:eek:
He did not Burnish it with the forks, I wet the side of it and rubbed it on the top of the rail while spinning it, to get it burnished.

I guess it's back to the Poker table.:mad:

I can do 2 weeks standing on my head.:D

PoolFool

Judge me by my size do u?
Silver Member
I would avoid trying to fix the scratched up ferrule at all. Although it is visually disturbing it doesn't affect the cue. Depending on how deep the grooves are your best bet would be to bring it to a Cue Mechanic and he could get the ferrule smooth in seconds. Using any kind of sandpaper by hand will probably turn your ferrule into more of a cone shape and I know that itwould bother the hell out of anyone even more. However if the grooves are really deep; the only thing you could do is just have a new ferrule put on.