finished cue questions?

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
is it ok to ask a cue maker to add inlays to a cue after it has been completed? like a plane 4 point cue with wood butt sleeve...is it common for someone to ask this of a cue maker? thanks mickey carroll

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is it ok to ask a cue maker to add inlays to a cue after it has been completed? like a plane 4 point cue with wood butt sleeve...is it common for someone to ask this of a cue maker? thanks mickey carroll
Mickey:

It's not that common for me. I think I have had maybe 2 customers in 15 years ask me to go back and put inlays in one of my finished cues. Now I have had a 2-3 others that have brought in used cues from other builders and asked me to put some inlays in it before I refinish them. If I remember right I think I was able to put inlays in 2 of them. One cue was warped so bad that I didnt even want to try it.

I will say this. If you want inlays in a cue I would suggest having them done before the cue is finished! It's just a little more costly to have them done after the cue is finished!

I hope this helps!

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
thanks doug it does help...the issue is i am not the original owner of the cue...i was wanting to have a few inlays put in a cue that i am thinking about picking up.... i would send it to the maker he is still making cues and they are getting better each cue he makes....once again thanks for allways answering my questions...maybe one day i will get on your list....:thumbup: ps doug is it harder to do after cue has been done? is that why it would cost more?

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks doug it does help...the issue is i am not the original owner of the cue...i was wanting to have a few inlays put in a cue that i am thinking about picking up.... i would send it to the maker he is still making cues and they are getting better each cue he makes....once again thanks for allways answering my questions...maybe one day i will get on your list....:thumbup: ps doug is it harder to do after cue has been done? is that why it would cost more?

Most inlays are done when the cue is still a little oversize. They're put in and then cut down when the cue is cut to it's finished size. I guess it depends on the machinery that the builder has as to how much extra work is needed to install inlays into a finished cue. For some, it would be easier than others. I'd prefer to do it before the butt was finish size so that any problems might get cleared up in the final taper.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It shouldn't be a problem. Last month I had a cue come into the shop, that I made in '94. I added 4 Ivory diamonds to the butt sleeve...JER

searingcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Original Maker only!

Only if done by the original maker, then depending on the makers equipment, and ability, it's very possible to add inlays to a finished cue in some cases. I would also recommend cutting pockets before the original finish is removed, as it can aid in preventing chipping around the outer edges of a pocket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Mickey:

It's not that common for me. I think I have had maybe 2 customers in 15 years ask me to go back and put inlays in one of my finished cues. Now I have had a 2-3 others that have brought in used cues from other builders and asked me to put some inlays in it before I refinish them. If I remember right I think I was able to put inlays in 2 of them. One cue was warped so bad that I didn't even want to try it.
I will say this. If you want inlays in a cue I would suggest having them done before the cue is finished! It's just a little more costly to have them done after the cue is finished!

I hope this helps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if this was done innocently, I totally disagree with putting inlays in another makers cue. I don't think it's ethical, and depending on the cue in my opinion it's almost criminal. How about if it was a Gus Szamboti, or a Balabushka? Would anyone think it was Ok then? If it's an absolute necessary repair for the cue's preservation, and the original cue maker is not with us anymore then it might be acceptable. Even then some cues should only be done by certain makers. ie Pete Tascarella / Balabushka.
I for one would like to see all makers stick to this policy, it would certainly help the future of cue integrity, authentication, and most importantly protect the buyers of all cues.

Thanks,
Dennis

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
man o man

my question drew out the master....thanks dennis and everyone else for the replys this clears up my question...i wouldnt have it done by anyone else other than the maker...i have seen on here a few cues that were ruined by having someone else do inlays on a cue that wasnt theres...the infamous BB that keeps showing back up comes to mind...anyway thanks again mickey carroll

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Ok, How about if the origional maker will not do the additions? Not trying to hijack your thread but this goes along the same lines.I know they are not customs but I contacted Evan Clark(Schon) about putting some inlays in an
R-1(SP-90 series) and he did not want the job.I also contacted him about a forearm repair on a STL-9 and he also said no.He said he could sell me a new cue for the price to repair the cue.In most cases it would be better to just get a new Schon but I wanted this one repaired because of the personel history. I'm sure most custom maker will do just about anything a customer wants to one of their own cues,but what if they decline and you really want the work done?

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis makes an excellent point. (Who's surprised at that...)
Evan wasn't high on my list of customer service folks before... Less so now. One man's opinion.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only if done by the original maker, then depending on the makers equipment, and ability, it's very possible to add inlays to a finished cue in some cases. I would also recommend cutting pockets before the original finish is removed, as it can aid in preventing chipping around the outer edges of a pocket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Mickey:

It's not that common for me. I think I have had maybe 2 customers in 15 years ask me to go back and put inlays in one of my finished cues. Now I have had a 2-3 others that have brought in used cues from other builders and asked me to put some inlays in it before I refinish them. If I remember right I think I was able to put inlays in 2 of them. One cue was warped so bad that I didn't even want to try it.

I hope this helps!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if this was done innocently, I totally disagree with putting inlays in another makers cue. I don't think it's ethical, and depending on the cue in my opinion it's almost criminal. How about if it was a Gus Szamboti, or a Balabushka? Would anyone think it was Ok then? If it's an absolute necessary repair for the cue's preservation, and the original cue maker is not with us anymore then it might be acceptable. Even then some cues should only be done by certain makers. ie Pete Tascarella / Balabushka.
I for one would like to see all makers stick to this policy, it would certainly help the future of cue integrity, authentication, and most importantly protect the buyers of all cues.

Thanks,
Dennis
Dennis:

I certainly would not do it to a cue that is made from one of the above mentioned makers. The ones I have done were in Lucasi cues. I wont do again!! I agree with you that if the maker is still building cues you should send the cue to them to have this done. If the maker is not with us then make sure to do you homework to get this work done by the right person!

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have put inlays in other cuemakers cues in the past. I got to thinking about it and decided to put my "H" logo right in the middle of one of the inlays. I figured that way no one would think the inlay work was original to the cue. I did not want the cuemaker to get too much credit for me making his cue look so good. :)
I can see Dennis' point on high end cues getting inlays. It might give the buyer of a used Bushka the impression they were getting something really rare and special. So it does open the door up to someone getting taken advantage of down the road. That is another reason I decided to sign the inlay work permanently by engraving my logo into it. Even if they refinish the cue my logo won't sand off.
As far as why it would cost more. There is more hand work in getting inlays flush on a cue that is already down to size and you have to refinish the cue and possibly change the wrap also.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
A cuemaker might refuse because he designed the cue to look a certain way as well. The first thing most people do when they examine a cue is ask who made it. Adding something to a custom cue is something that should be done with the acknowledgement and blessing of the builder, as it is ultimately his name that gets associated with it.

When I worked at Porsche we had a customer who put bright orange(picture a crossing guard vest) wheels on his blue(not that it would matter what color it was) 911. Only takes 10 mins to change that out though.. It is an exaggeration I know, but not what Stuttgart had in mind when they built the car.