First cue advice

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Dont use sandpaper or anything abrasive on the shaft. Keep it dry. Do not wipe it down with a damp towel. Just wipe it down with a microfiber towel and always keep your hands clean. Shaft bluing is chalk dust picked up from your hand or chalk dust that settles on the shaft as you chalk the tip.

Remember though, if your going to play with the cue its impossible to keep it like new. The shaft will turn a few shades darker no matter what. You will just have to learn to love your cue for all the games she has won you and not for her looks ;)

SMG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont use sandpaper or anything abrasive on the shaft. Keep it dry. Do not wipe it down with a damp towel. Just wipe it down with a microfiber towel and always keep your hands clean. Shaft bluing is chalk dust picked up from your hand or chalk dust that settles on the shaft as you chalk the tip.

Remember though, if your going to play with the cue its impossible to keep it like new. The shaft will turn a few shades darker no matter what. You will just have to learn to love your cue for all the games she has won you and not for her looks ;)

Awesome thank you. Great post.

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
Hey so my birthday was yesterday. I know, i know. Go me. My girlfriend bought me my first cue. I have not received it yet but she bought me a VIKING G-14. Any advice on tips or accessories to help keep this thing in mint condition and keep the play of it at 100 percent?

Absolutely! You should buy a nice case to protect your new cue.

Check this one out, for sale now on AZ: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=166347

This case is 'like new'.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You're on the right track. Just keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the game. Everything will come along in due time.
And, by-the-way, give that girl of yours a big hug for buying you the cue. The only thing I ever got for my birthday was when my first wife bought me a sack of condoms at a yard sale. Said they were seconds.
My second wife gave me an STD. Said she got it from the restroom at the condom factory.
My third wife also gave me an STD. Said she got it from a woman who used to work in a condom factory.
It's been a rough life. You're a lucky man. :D

SMG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8Ball48043 Thanks for the offer but a buddy of mine said he has a couple extra cases he will let me use until I find one that I really like. LOL at Tramp Steamer, great post buddy. Yes I did give her a great big hug haha. Thank you as well DoubleD for the advice. Very helpful.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Lots of good advice here, and most everything you need was covered. I'd emphasize strongly to avoid temperature extremes, which does bad things to wood. Keep your cue inside your home when not using it and never leave it in your car where it will freeze, or heat up, or get stolen. Use the tip it came with and when it's time to change, try a different one to see what the difference is for yourself. Tip preference is very personal. Joint protectors are a great investment for not much money. Don't roll the balls with the side of your shaft, it gets little round dings in it from doing that. Get a Willard dime tip shaper/scuffer. Use tan chalk to keep your shaft looking good, if you care about that. Get your girlfriend something really nice for her birthday. Enjoy!
:p

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
No tan chalk. Just chalk correctly and your shaft won't turn blue.

Careful how you lean it against things. Better if all the weight isn't on the tip... leaning it in the crook of a chair's arm is good, so that the weight's on the middle of the stick. Keep it away from areas where anything might bump it accidentally.

If you get serious enough about pool, resist the urge to whack it against things. Seriously. Once you start the habit it's hard to break.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some does and don'ts....

Do's
-hard case
-tip pik (don't over do it)
-keep the le pro until it wears out
-find a good cue repair person to put on new tips when you need them. Make sure that you request that he does not take any diameter off of the shaft when replacing.
-you don't have to clean your shaft, leave it alone and it will develope a nice patina over time. Once in a great while clean it, but only with isoprop alcohol

Dont's:
-sand your shaft
-don't get water on your linen wrap

You will get dings and scratches no matter what. You can do a search on the forum on how to get dings out of a shaft.

mr_griff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue accessories

If Viking has a weight bolt kit I'd splurge for that, if not oh well.

Id try the Lepro for a little while, but a good layed tip will make a big difference. A lot of the people who think layered tips aren't any better have a much better stroke than you or I. Medium to medium soft is a good starting point. As you get better you might prefer a harder tip.

Tip shaper is a must. Hard case is optional but not a bad idea, if not be careful. They become a must if you want another cue or if you have more than 250 bucks or into your cue. Joint protectors are not necessary, but its your money. I really like the tiger shaft smoother and burnisher. Use it sparingly.

You don't need to spend a bunch of money on accessories, shafts, cases, etc. At least not yet anway. Id put a jump break at the top of my list for a next purchase, and the more money you spend on all the goodies the longer it is until you get your next cue, shaft or whatever (assuming you have a budget).

orangecrush

Just a banger
Silver Member
You will get dings and scratches no matter what. You can do a search on the forum on how to get dings out of a shaft.

Best way to get dings out are to get a piece of napkin. Big enough to cover the ding. Wet it. Place the wet napkin over the ding. Let it set for 15 mins or so, to let the water soak in. Then get a piece of leather, napkin or even a dollar bill. Leather works better and you dont burn your hands. lol Use the leather to burnish the shaft. If the ding is really bad you might have to repeat the steps a couple of times. But usually it will come out in one or two times. Some people have said that rubbing a shot glass will work too. But I've never tried that method. Good Luck and happy shooting.

Shane

Last edited:

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in your opinion whats a resonable price for the first cue? 440$ is too much? It is my first cue but i play from 3 years.

SMG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cannot say thank you enough to everyone on here. The Viking FAQs was really helpful.