flat lam blanks

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Flat lam blanks

Is it normal for flat lam square blanks to be turned round, then 2 weeks later have about a 1/4" wobble in the middle of them? These are blanks from falcon cue when they were in canada(that's what I was told when buying them) and they have been in my basement for about 1.5 years or so. We have 70-80% humidity in the summer, and about 20% in the winter. The blanks were 1:x1" x 32". I turned them from squares to round 2 weeks ago (some flat spots),4 of the 6 I did had about 1/4" wobble in the middle today when I spun them. I thought the reason for lamination was to minimize this type of issue when cutting shafts or coring dowels?
Just want to know what to expect before spending more time on these than it may be worth.
Thanks,
Dave

I have bought some from Schmelke and some from Dufferin, all years ago.
Have no problem with them staying straight. Actually, I have a customer
that requires 30" flat lam shafts and have made him at least 6 with no
problem. I just cut then like a regular shaft, if not quicker.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Gary, I didn't even think that someone would link these to be his. IN NO WAY ARE THESE THE BLANKS FROM BOB, AKA 'BDCUES'
These are blanks that I bought on here almost 2 yeas ago and were told they came from Falcon Cues, in Canada.
I have stored them properly, and they just seem to have a mind of their own. I am only interested in using them as coring dowels, not shafts. There is a big difference in a 3/4" x 30" dowel staying straight compared to a 12.5 - 13mm x 29" shaft staying straight, IMO.
I don't want anything taken out of context here, just asking about Flat lam coring dowels not staying straight as soon as they get turned.
Dave

Thanks Gary and Dave. From my experience the flat lams tend to be less radially consistent than pie-lams. Pie-lams can also move but I probably get 2 or 3 out of 100 that do. The Purpleheart 6-pie cores I make seem to never move.

I have about 100 boards that will not make full 29" shafts/cores, but they will make 18" cores. Wonder if anyone would be interested in them? If there is enough interest I will spend the time to make them up. Contact me if interested.

Bob Danielson
www.bdcuesandcomix.com

Bob Danielson

cuemaker.mi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have bought dozens and dozens of those same blanks. I quit using them because they warp more times than not. The best method is to use a straight grain maple as your core, it has worked for years and why change it. I think that using anything else is wasteful of time and money. The fact that you are coring at all brings twice as much stability to the cue as those who don't. Sometimes trying to do too much or be one up does not benefit anyone. Stick to straight grain maple, you will not be disappointed. Good luck to you

Master of None

Paul Allers Cues
Flat-lam shafts

I've been using them for 10+ years and have very few that warp. I shoot with 4 that have been straight for over 7 years.:eek: