Follow Up to Dr. Dave's Experiment - Novus 1 vs Aramith

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I was surprised that the Aramith ball cleaner has wax in it. I think one of the primary disadvantages of the wax is that it may build up in certain areas of the cloth, and cause inconsistent reactions. Lately I've been using the world's best glass cleaner. I should break out the Aramith cleaner but I don't want to clean it off after I'm done polishing.

This is not surprising, similar to car care cleaning products sold to the general public (not the professional stuff) Companies will put waxes/polymers in there product to fill in any fine scratches making the surface look squeaky clean, nice and shiny. It's deceiving and cheating lol.

It's similar to when people run their cars through an automatic car wash, get out of their car, inspect their paint and it looks amazing. This is because the water is still covering everything and filling in every little scratch on the surface of the paint. The sun and light will reflect perfectly, making the car look amazing and shiny. Once they get home, see all the water dry up, they see all the dirt and scratches again. Looks like shit lol.

tomatoshooter

This is not surprising, similar to car care cleaning products sold to the general public (not the professional stuff) Companies will put waxes/polymers in there product to fill in any fine scratches making the surface look squeaky clean, nice and shiny. It's deceiving and cheating lol.

It's similar to when people run their cars through an automatic car wash, get out of their car, inspect their paint and it looks amazing. This is because the water is still covering everything and filling in every little scratch on the surface of the paint. The sun and light will reflect perfectly, making the car look amazing and shiny. Once they get home, see all the water dry up, they see all the dirt and scratches again. Looks like shit lol.
It just seems odd that the leading manufacturer of balls markets a ball polish that, when used as directed, doesn't meet WPA specifications. I saw nothing on the bottle about removing the polish before playing.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was me. I still do. The Meguiars PlastX works very well. I did a complete cut-induced-throw test on it. My findings were Aramith cleaner had a larger throw difference between clean and dirty. But the Meguiars spun off the rail a little more

I actually did a follow up at a later date. I added 5% carnauba wax to the PlastX, and was able to duplicate the Aramith almost exactly. Aramith Cleaner actually contains about 5% wax.

I really only have one issue with the Aramith cleaner... it leaves a residue on the balls. Like dried wax after waxing a car. I will have to try the alcohol mix as some have suggested.
Ahh yes, that was you. I remember your test showed good results. Do you have a ball machine? I don't see any residue when they come out of the machine, but that 5% wax you mentioned is interesting. Maybe they put that in to give the balls a shine?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A 1999 MSDS for the Aramith Ball Cleaner says: "Description: Emulsion, suspension of wax and aliphatic solvents with mineral abrasives". But I don't see any mention of the proportion that is (was?) wax.

A 2018 SDS (revised name for MSDS) does not seem to mention wax anywhere. Does an SDS only have to mention the hazardous components? The only percentages I see are for rather small amounts of mineral oil and D-Limonene.
A bottle of the cleaner that I have says "NEW FORMULA." But I don't remember how many years ago I bought it.

Any SDS experts here?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahh yes, that was you. I remember your test showed good results. Do you have a ball machine? I don't see any residue when they come out of the machine, but that 5% wax you mentioned is interesting. Maybe they put that in to give the balls a shine?
Not sure where I got the 5% quote now. I'll have to stop saying that until I research again.

I added 5% wax (by weight) to a sample of the PlastX and my results almost copied the results using Aramith Cleaner. It threw a little less, and had a little less spin off the rail