Foul question

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
18. One point loss for each foul. Then 15 points off. Then rerack using opening break rules. At the highest level of play 18 points is not that much considering top players can run 100.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
18. One point loss for each foul. Then 15 points off. Then rerack using opening break rules. At the highest level of play 18 points is not that much considering top players can run 100.
I saw Lassiter take three in a row three times in one match. He was a master at getting a perfect break. Often his opponent found himself stuck to the head cushion with no shot and no easy safe and on two fouls.

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Lassiter take three in a row three times in one match. He was a master at getting a perfect break. Often his opponent found himself stuck to the head cushion with no shot and no easy safe and on two fouls.
So who breaks after the 3 foul? Is it the person that took the penalty then and in this case, Lassiter used it to his advantage?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So who breaks after the 3 foul? Is it the person that took the penalty then and in this case, Lassiter used it to his advantage?
Both players are on two fouls and Lassiter has no safe to play. He takes a foul. He loses 1+15 points, the balls are racked and he breaks. His opponent finds himself on the head cushion with no shot and no safe.

In order for you to use three fouls to your advantage, you have to break very well, but if you can do that, you can turn around a foul sequence. If you leave a good shot or even a possible safe, you lose on the deal. If your nine-ball playing sharpshooter opponent fires in an 80-degree cut from the tall grass and busts open the rack, you also lose.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both players are on two fouls and Lassiter has no safe to play. He takes a foul. He loses 1+15 points, the balls are racked and he breaks. His opponent finds himself on the head cushion with no shot and no safe.

In order for you to use three fouls to your advantage, you have to break very well, but if you can do that, you can turn around a foul sequence. If you leave a good shot or even a possible safe, you lose on the deal. If your nine-ball playing sharpshooter opponent fires in an 80-degree cut from the tall grass and busts open the rack, you also lose.
The point being, if you consider your opponent to be overly aggressive/impatient, and less likely to leave YOU safe after he might have to re-break following a 3-foul penalty, then repeatedly taking that third intentional foul in a long safety battle makes good sense. In that situation, it is more likely he would eventually go for & MISS that long 80-degree cut shot that opens the rack. or, leave you an opportunity after his sloppy re-break so YOU can run out. Otherwise, where less skilled opponents are well-matched, giving up 53 points in a game to 150 could be hard to justify, as running over 200 isn’t all that common (?).

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Lassiter I wonder if the entire match with Cicero Murphy was filmed and if it might be sitting on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere. It would be interesting to see them in their prime in an extended video.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Lassiter I wonder if the entire match with Cicero Murphy was filmed and if it might be sitting on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere. It would be interesting to see them in their prime in an extended video.
In the tournament I saw in 1969, I'm pretty sure they recorded/filmed the whole thing. For that one, they had to film two finals as it was double elimination. I think Wide World of Sports covered both events. I suppose the successor of ABC (Disney) would have the film if it exists. Storage of that old video is a large problem or rather a large set of problems. Film decays and is bulky.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the tournament I saw in 1969, I'm pretty sure they recorded/filmed the whole thing. For that one, they had to film two finals as it was double elimination. I think Wide World of Sports covered both events. I suppose the successor of ABC (Disney) would have the film if it exists. Storage of that old video is a large problem or rather a large set of problems. Film decays and is bulky.
If someone could find it and restore it I'd like to watch it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a site set up to license footage from Wide World of Sports. There is apparently no useful search function. It seems they only want to talk to people with lots of money. If anyone wants to try them, here's the site: https://espnfootage.com/wide_world_of_sports/
If they only want to talk to people with lots of cash that eliminates just about everybody in this sport. The Cardinals have a ballplayer making $30 million a year. That's probably more than every pool player in the world will make this year.