Fractional aiming zones - new system

footshooter5

Registered
Purchased this for the Kindle last night...read it until about 2am, went to bed, and woke up this morning and started putting it into play. Mind-bogglingly great. Thanks for putting this in such an easy to read format. I agree with the above posters - often times, I'm shooting on instinct, muscle memory, "I've shot this before", some form of a ghost ball, or a combination of the above, but this is a great check system. Really appreciate the hard work you put into making the book.

-Gayan

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
@Brian

Really a very nice presentation and easy reading. Strong work- well done.
A very nice, and in my opinion very very helpful version of fractional aiming/3-cut system. Useful for some students who have a real problem with *seeing* angles- which comes up more often than some may think :)

Very well done Brian,

best from overseas

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
@Brian

A very nice, and in my opinion very very helpful version of fractional aiming/3-cut system. Useful for some students who have a real problem with *seeing* angles- which comes up more often than some may think :)

Very well done Brian,

best from overseas
brian
you have not been around AZB very long but ratta is a VERY WELL RESPECTED instructor in europe
his positive review is a big compliment to your work imho

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
@Brian

Very well done Brian,

best from overseas

Thank you very much for the positive comments! I have made a few blunders in the book, from editing mistakes to certain material that I chose to cut before publication, but now wish I had included it in the book. I will pm you exactly what I'm referring about. Anyway, thanks again.

Brian

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all who commented on Dan White's thread, "Comments on Poolology".

The feedback is greatly appreciated. I wish I had copied some of the comments/reviews for my personal record, because now the thread is gone. I have received numerous emails asking about the disappearance of the thread, but I have no clue what happened.

I'm wondering why they closed the thread. I don't remember anything over heated in it.
Anyway, Brian I'm so happy you are starting to get the accolades you deserve for your work. I try to keep numbers fresh in my mind daily so I don't forget. :thumbup:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bryan

I have used this off and on for about a week and a half now with varying results, though I believe it's largely due to the fact you have to imagine fractional portions of a sphere to aim at, at varying distances, which at least for me is easy to get wrong. I suppose the times it works, I did it correctly. But I have run into a few shots that to me seem to not have a mathematical solution.

I play almost exclusively, one pocket and a shot I see almost every game is say an object ball in front of my pocket, say exactly on what you call 1,1. Okay so say the cueball is at 1,3, or 3,1, whichever way that is, but 1 diamond off the short rail and 3 diamonds from my pocket. So we know this is exactly a 45 degree cut, but I cannot determine mathematically, by your system, what the solution for the shot is. I assume the object ball is in zone a. Now inside of the one diamond mark it makes sense, but from 1 diamond and out ther seems to be no solution, even though for a distance the balls are quite makeable. How do you do this. The same occurs at any point where the cueball and object falls are equal distances from the short rail. Now I can do the same as you do with the 20,20 shot and shoot it as 20, 24, ie, 10.12, and make the shot, but I wonder if I missed something here.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Bryan

I have used this off and on for about a week and a half now with varying results, though I believe it's largely due to the fact you have to imagine fractional portions of a sphere to aim at, at varying distances, which at least for me is easy to get wrong. I suppose the times it works, I did it correctly. But I have run into a few shots that to me seem to not have a mathematical solution.

I play almost exclusively, one pocket and a shot I see almost every game is say an object ball in front of my pocket, say exactly on what you call 1,1. Okay so say the cueball is at 1,3, or 3,1, whichever way that is, but 1 diamond off the short rail and 3 diamonds from my pocket. So we know this is exactly a 45 degree cut, but I cannot determine mathematically, by your system, what the solution for the shot is. I assume the object ball is in zone a. Now inside of the one diamond mark it makes sense, but from 1 diamond and out ther seems to be no solution, even though for a distance the balls are quite makeable. How do you do this. The same occurs at any point where the cueball and object falls are equal distances from the short rail. Now I can do the same as you do with the 20,20 shot and shoot it as 20, 24, ie, 10.12, and make the shot, but I wonder if I missed something here.

I'd shoot a 1/8 aim. The system only covers shots as thin as 1/8. The alignment value here is the first diamond, and a 1/8 alignment for this OB position would be around 9/10 of a diamond. I'll send a pm with additional info.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was nice the other night playing and seeing a shot I felt uncomfortable with was zone c on 80/40 line. I split the pocket with no hesitation and my opponent was surprised how effortless it was

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Was nice the other night playing and seeing a shot I felt uncomfortable with was zone c on 80/40 line. I split the pocket with no hesitation and my opponent was surprised how effortless it was

That's what I'm talking about! :thumbup:

Thanks.

Rackattach

Banned
BC. Read most of your book last night. Wow. Seems nice to me! I'm a math guy and very precise so this (for me anyway) was way better than CTE because I felt lost with CTE. This is really simple and precise. That fit how I learn and go about things anyway.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
BC. Read most of your book last night. Wow. Seems nice to me! I'm a math guy and very precise so this (for me anyway) was way better than CTE because I felt lost with CTE. This is really simple and precise. That fit how I learn and go about things anyway.

Excellent! To each his own. Just keep in mind that reading the book is the easiest part. Applying the method is easy too, but may take a few shots to get the hang of it.

Thanks for the support.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's what I'm talking about! :thumbup:

Thanks.

Brian, I just now got around to reading the part on banking. Quite ingenious how it's possible to just shift the numbers and imagine the spot on the rail as zero. Once again, congratulations on a really great book.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian, I just now got around to reading the part on banking. Quite ingenious how it's possible to just shift the numbers and imagine the spot on the rail as zero. Once again, congratulations on a really great book.

Agreed. I had a funny incident the other night. I read about his banking instructions and later went to the table. I wanted to hit a kind of off angle bank into the side pocket. I didn't recall a discussion of banks in the side but figured it should be about the same system. So I started getting the numbers and moving the rail up in my head and pretty well confused myself. At one point I thought, "Oh what the hell, screw it" and I just got down and fired in the shot. I had a good laugh over that. Brian's system for banks is accurate and smart, but sometimes you just gotta go for it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I had a funny incident the other night. I read about his banking instructions and later went to the table. I wanted to hit a kind of off angle bank into the side pocket. I didn't recall a discussion of banks in the side but figured it should be about the same system. So I started getting the numbers and moving the rail up in my head and pretty well confused myself. At one point I thought, "Oh what the hell, screw it" and I just got down and fired in the shot. I had a good laugh over that. Brian's system for banks is accurate and smart, but sometimes you just gotta go for it.

Exactly. I just see the banks. But for those players that haven't​ reached that point yet, maybe it'll help them. It's like deciding on a tough shot vs a tough safety. Sometimes you just have to say screw it and go for what feels the best.