Fractional Cuts Visualization Practice

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Does anyone know if the "color line" of a striped ball is at the 1/4 and 3/4 positions? Is that a regulation or can each manufacturer make the stripe as wide/narrow as it wants?

It is not standardized.

On Brunswick Centennials (at least those of recent vintage), the stripe is essentially half the width of the ball, so the edge of the stripe (when oriented up and down) is at the 1/4 and 3/4 positions.

On Super Aramith Pro balls and Aramith Tournament balls, the stripe is wider than half the ball (approx. 1 5/16" stripe), so the edges of the stripe are not at the 1/4 and 3/4 positions.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Great diagram with benefit to pratice visualisation skills-
no matter what kind of aiming system you ll use!

Looks great patrick- well presented.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
For people who struggle with this I set up a rack of three ball. They then place the cue ball on the head string opposite the rack on the foot spot so that they are aligned with one of the balls in the second row. A straight on shot is a half-ball hit on the head ball of the rack. They could move their head in their stance as you suggest to see the more thick and thin cuts as well.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For people who struggle with this I set up a rack of three ball. They then place the cue ball on the head string opposite the rack on the foot spot so that they are aligned with one of the balls in the second row. A straight on shot is a half-ball hit on the head ball of the rack.
Putting the CB's center on the center line of the table (for example, putting the CB on the head spot) is probably close enough for visualization purposes if the CB is that far away or more. But aiming at one of the back balls is only an exact half ball alignment if the CB is placed with its edge (rather than its center) on the center line of the table - and then it's true no matter how close or far the OB is. (Maybe this is what you meant.)

But I don't understand why to have the 2nd and 3rd balls there in the first place. Does that make it easier to see than just sighting to the edge of the head ball (which can be done from anywhere on the table)?

Edit: On second thought, I think I can see how aligning a whole ball can be easier than aligning center-to-edge.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To use Fractions for aiming you need to get familiar with (learn to visualize at the table) the cut angles formed by the three common fractional overlaps: 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 ball.

To help with that, here's a practice setup diagram of the fractional cut angles (left and right) for shots parallel with the short and long rails. I hope it's self explanatory.

pj
chgo

View attachment 20337
PJ,

As usual, good illustration. FYI, I've added it (with a link) to the fractional-ball aiming resource page, which also includes other ways to easily set up 1/4-, 1/2-, and 3/4-ball shots for practice.

Diagram 2 in "HAPS - Part I: Fractional-Ball Aiming" (BD, November, 2014) shows an easy way to set up spot shots for the different hits, and the following video demonstrates how to set them up at the table:

NV E.1 - Fractional-Ball Aiming, from HAPS I

Enjoy,
Dave

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
To use Fractions for aiming you need to get familiar with (learn to visualize at the table) the cut angles formed by the three common fractional overlaps: 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 ball.

To help with that, here's a practice setup diagram of the fractional cut angles (left and right) for shots parallel with the short and long rails. I hope it's self explanatory.

pj
chgo

View attachment 20337

Very Good Post !!!!!!!!!!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
PJ,

As usual, good illustration. FYI, I've added it (with a link) to the fractional-ball aiming resource page, which also includes other ways to easily set up 1/4-, 1/2-, and 3/4-ball shots for practice.

Diagram 2 in "HAPS - Part I: Fractional-Ball Aiming" (BD, November, 2014) shows an easy way to set up spot shots for the different hits, and the following video demonstrates how to set them up at the table:

NV E.1 - Fractional-Ball Aiming, from HAPS I
For those interested, here's the diagram from the article for spot-shot ball-hit-fraction practice:

HAPS_ball-hit-fraction_shots.jpg

Regards,
Dave