FS- 1982 Schon R14 Green w/ Onyx Dots on Points- 3 Shafts!!!

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Off the market, but would trade for old Joss

Well, I absolutely hate to do this! This cue is very rare and stunning!!! This cue is just a little light for me. I am the third owner. Listed below is the cue description from the first owner (SKINS). The only thing that is different from that is the butt now weighs 15.2 ounces making the cue 19 ounces total. I also put a Kamui Black SS on the original shaft. Only one of these ever made with the dots and different ringwork. No dings, dents or marks. Comes with JPs and 3X6 hard case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a cue that i've had since it's inception....i'm the original owner of this 1982 Schon R14 and it's served me very well over the years and now time for someone else to enjoy. i ordered it from Schon back in late 1982. i spoke with Bob Runde at the time and wanted to make the cue just a bit different from the catalog cue so i had him add onyx dots at the tips of the points and had him make the but diameter just a hair thinner than normal. the cue comes with it's original shaft ( i only ordered one at the time...who new...) and 2 other shafts i had them make for the cue in 1987. i also had him make an extra butt side joint protector because the original was taken from me at a tournament . the original shaft still has it's original protector with it. the only shaft with it's original ferrule is one of the later shafts from 87'. that one has the old yellow micarta. the others have varying types of phenolic. the cue was recently and completely refinished by my partner Keith Josey and of course he did nothing short of a spectacular job.
58 inch cue
Butt
14.4 oz., built slightly thinner at my request, .830 dia at the joint and 1.18 at the cap. it has has pierced ivory ovals in the points and ivory scalloped windows with pierced ebony ovals in the sleeve. i had Keith install one of his embossed leather wraps and it's done perfect as would be expected from him. ( the butt does have a very slight roll. i was told by Keith that it's due to the handle wood moving slightly over the years. if the buyer wants to they could have the handle replaced and that would fix the issue or just do as i did and leave it be ) it's been this way for a long time and i don't see it as a big issue. it does not affect play in any way.
Shafts
Original shaft - 12.3 mm (this shaft is 12.5 mm 5 inches from the ferrule, 13.15 mm 12 inches from the ferrule), 3.8 oz., cream colored phenolic ferrule by Keith Josey
Shaft 2 - 12.85 mm, 4.2 oz, ivory colored phenolic ferrule by Joe Gold (Cognoscenti)
Shaft 3 - 12.9 mm, 4.1 oz, original yellow micarta
All shafts have some slight movement over the years but nothing out of the norm. most would consider it "taper" roll. no tip or collar come off the table when they're rolled. the one with the least "roll" is the original shaft and that one is actually very close to perfect. they're all in very good condition as they were reconditioned by Keith when the cue was refinished. all in all this is a really nice example of early, higher end, Schon work.

r14dotsskinsforearm.jpg

r14dotsskinsbutt.jpg

r14dotsinlay.jpg

r14dotsbutt2.jpg

r14dotspoints2.jpg

r14dotspoints.jpg

Last edited:

Break-n-Run

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous!!

I REALLY wish I had the extra money lying around for this one. One day, these forums will be the death of me, financially!

Someone is going to get a really sweet deal.

Good luck with the sale.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Great Cue

That cue sure brings back memories. Leo Galli, Pennsylvania Straight Pool Champion back in the 70's, had one very similar. And it was about 83 or 84 when I saw his for the first time. Awesome cue, sir. I'd be whining too if I had to sell it. Good luck with the sale though.

Ron F

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Thanks for all the kind words.
The only reason why I'm selling it is because I realized I like butt heavy cues at least 15.75 ounce and above.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
this is a very nice cue....really didn't want to let'er go but the time was right for someone else to enjoy her the way i had.....very rare cue that will make a new owner very happy.....good luck with the sale....

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
this is a very nice cue....really didn't want to let'er go but the time was right for someone else to enjoy her the way i had.....very rare cue that will make a new owner very happy.....good luck with the sale....

This Schon is one of the nicest older Schon cues i've seen in a long time. It's a rare find for sure and I wish Schon still built cues like this one instead of the rounded point style they make today. I own a Schon and it plays well, but it's not in the ball park with this cue even though it's loaded with ivory.....

James

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
111   0   0
Thanks everyone. This cue is really stunning in person too. Actually nicer in person.
Some one is going to get a rare gem.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
The R14 was/is one of my 2 all-time favorite Schons (other is the R12 with mitered boxes) His early 80s cues are AMAZING Players!

And look at those RAZOR sharp points!!

Really nice one here.