Funny pic/gif thread...

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
It’s easier to blame the generations after yours it is to have true self reflection on what impact your (royal your) generation had - both good and bad.

I’m a millennial and my dad would spank us with a piece of oak baseboard that he carved a handle into. My name was written one side and my sister’s on the other.
Lol I forgot, we also had the "board of education," basically a wooden paddle with that printed on it with a kind of comic on it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screenshot_20240327-155612.jpg

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With regard to my meme post #62.021 regarding kids, generations and stereotypical discipline, I thought I might comment about the process of my making it – since there have been a few comments. Let everyone see the sinister, behind-the-scenes plotting that took place so as to single out and ridicule one particular generation...

Monday, March 25th. Wife went to bed early due to early day on Tuesday. I sat down in my office, thinking maybe I can find something to make a meme about in 30 minutes or so.

Saw this posted somewhere:

We Are Not The Same.jpg

Thought, well, not great but I can knock out something quick.

Opened Word and began to jot down ideas for possible captions.

Started Googling names of the generations. The Silent Generation kids got beat a lot, but then a lot of Baby Boomers did, too. And, people know the name Baby Boomers better, so I figured I’d use that.

Then Googled the name of the most current generation. Gen Alpha. Never heard of them. Skip back, Generation Z. Yep, heard of them. I’ll use them. Oh, Millennials came just before them. I’ll use them, also, as everyone has heard of Millennials.

Google pictures where it appears a child might be offered something to behave. Dang, not much. This is taking more time that I thought. Found a picture of a mother and child by a candy display. That’s close enough. Use that.

Google pictures of kids getting harsh discipline. Again, not really any good ones. Settled on the picture of the belt and the boy, but the reality of it bothered me. Time to get this thing finished.

Bring the pics into Photoshop, figure out what aspect ratio crops to use to obtain the desired final size, crop and resize, tweak resolution and contrast, add narrow black border

Make blank canvas, copy/paste pics and flatten image. Border and font will be black, so sample the couch color for the meme background.

Return to Word and finalize the captions.

Enlarge canvas, add guides to place the text, add the text, try a few fonts to see what might work, finalize and draw finishing border.

Took final look. Almost don’t want to post. The reality of kids getting beat sickens me. But, it’s just a stupid meme; I’ve spent too much time; I’m posting it and going to bed.

Me? The last spanking I recall was when I was 5 years old. A bare hand to my clothed bottom. Had happened less than a dozen times in my 5 years of life. Never happened again. Never anything more than a hand to my bottom. Raised by my Mother and Grandmother and was an only child. Was told I just never presented any problems, was a good conversationalist from an early age and acted and spoke well beyond my chronological age.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Pi times the radius squared times the depth. I haven't needed to know that in two score years but it is well and truly stuck in the memory banks. I was usually more interested in the stroke measuring engine displacements. I used 3.1416 for pi if I wanted the estimate to be a little over, 3.14159 if I wanted the estimate to be a little short.

I have so much information I don't need carefully stored in memory that there isn't room to add more!

Hu
It's more than that. You have to calculate the area that's taken up by the thickness of the pipe and subtract it. There are different thicknesses of pipe at different depths. There are shortcuts. You learn what to multiply the depth by to get the amounts. The fun times are the differential equations necessary to calculate quantities of chemicals to add to get to the final amounts necessary based on the necessary additional barrels of fluid you need for the increased depth.

Then there's the 30 calculations needed that depending on what you're calculating, you have to use either 6 decimal places or 4 decimal places and each subsequent calculation is reliant on an accurate previous calculation.

Like I said, I've had graduate level math and this was the most difficult math I've had to do to get it correct.

Jaden

Scrunge19

Registered
I remember one time when I was in maybe third grade or so I got yelled at school or on the bus or something. Nothing serious mind you, but yelled at nonetheless.

I came home so sure that my dad was going to be mad and paddle me that I put on every pair of underwear I owned (to soften the blow). When he got home and heard the details, he wasn’t mad at all and just laughed about it. I had been shitting in every pair of underwear I owned all afternoon for nothing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With regard to my meme post #62.021 regarding kids, generations and stereotypical discipline, I thought I might comment about the process of my making it – since there have been a few comments. Let everyone see the sinister, behind-the-scenes plotting that took place so as to single out and ridicule one particular generation...

Monday, March 25th. Wife went to bed early due to early day on Tuesday. I sat down in my office, thinking maybe I can find something to make a meme about in 30 minutes or so.

View attachment 750967

Started Googling names of the generations. The Silent Generation kids got beat a lot, but then a lot of Baby Boomers did, too. And, people know the name Baby Boomers better, so I figured I’d use that.

Then Googled the name of the most current generation. Gen Alpha. Never heard of them. Skip back, Generation Z. Yep, heard of them. I’ll use them. Oh, Millennials came just before them. I’ll use them, also, as everyone has heard of Millennials.

Google pictures where it appears a child might be offered something to behave. Dang, not much. This is taking more time that I thought. Found a picture of a mother and child by a candy display. That’s close enough. Use that.

Google pictures of kids getting harsh discipline. Again, not really any good ones. Settled on the picture of the belt and the boy, but the reality of it bothered me. Time to get this thing finished.

Bring the pics into Photoshop, figure out what aspect ratio crops to use to obtain the desired final size, crop and resize, tweak resolution and contrast, add narrow black border

Make blank canvas, copy/paste pics and flatten image. Border and font will be black, so sample the couch color for the meme background.

Enlarge canvas, add guides to place the text, add the text, try a few fonts to see what might work, finalize and draw finishing border.

Took final look. Almost don’t want to post. The reality of kids getting beat sickens me. But, it’s just a stupid meme; I’ve spent too much time; I’m posting it and going to bed.

Me? The last spanking I recall was when I was 5 years old. A bare hand to my clothed bottom. Had happened less than a dozen times in my 5 years of life. Never happened again. Never anything more than a hand to my bottom. Raised by my Mother and Grandmother and was an only child. Was told I just never presented any problems, was a good conversationalist from an early age and acted and spoke well beyond my chronological age.
Freaky deeky.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
It’s easier to blame the generations after yours
Does this sentiment sound familiar?:

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".

That is attributed to Hesiod in the 8th century B.C.!

Kids don’t change, we do.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Or you could just measure the inside diameter...

pj
chgo
No, you can't because you have to know the hole volume including the piping that you're pumping through. So you're given the O.D. of the pipe and the thickness of the pipe, You have to calculate the volume of the pipe, and the volume of the hole, but you have to subtract the volume taken up by the pipe from the volume of the hole. Then you have to add that volume to the volume that is inside the pipe. The point is to know how much fluid is in the hole very accurately.

So you have to calculate total hole volume, the volume that is displaced by the pipe and the volume inside the pipe. All in about 2 minutes with just a calculator and your brain. This is with different hole sizes (due to casings that are in place) at different intervals.

Jaden

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does this sentiment sound familiar?:

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".

That is attributed to Hesiod in the 8th century B.C.!

Kids don’t change, we do.

I don't remember the date, that might be what I am thinking about or even earlier. One of the earliest writings found was despairing of youth. I figured out why things work though. The total idiots our children marry produce grandchildren that are all geniuses!(grin)

Something else they found, a list of twenty jokes. I recognized about fifteen of them still being told today.

Sometimes I think there isn't much new in this old world.

Hu

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member

View attachment 750967

My dad was silent generation. In case you wonder, they were mostly born between the 2 Great World Wars. So,.....they grew up with nothing, and were totally happy with the simplest of things,(like enough food to eat, running water and Jobs). You didn't complain because they did have it so bad. Even in the 60's growing up, LIFE was much simpler, and easier. BTW, Imma late Baby Boomer.
DAD, believed in corporal punishment. He was stern, but fair, (he let ME choose my fate). I was the bad a**, so I got it whipped with a leather belt quite often. Never once did he say, "This is gonna hurt me more than it will you." Virtually, NOTHING was "gven" to me, and I thank my parents for that.
Kids today have no clue.........

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
View attachment 751073

Hey, I turned out OK. I think,........ 🤔
As a mouthy GenX I initially believed WAIT TILL YOUR DAD GETS HOME was the scariest words in the English language. I soon learned I was wrong. One morning after my mom finished breaking the 43rd wooden spoon or yardstick (whichever was closer) over my butt, I spoke the two words I should have been more scared of……….Didn’t Hurt .😳😳. Those words were immediately retracted and replaced with IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS 😆.