GC I - question about the slate.

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I am in the market for a used Gold Crown and stumbled across a GC 1 that is near to me. After scouring this forum I gathered that many GC1s came with "brunstone" rather than slate. The seller sent me this photo of the bed and it sure looks gray like slate but I was wondering if anyone can tell if this is brunstone or slate. Did any GC 1s come with actual slate?

Many thanks in advance!

TJ

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Are you sure thats a Gold Crown I? Is that one of the skirts in the photo?

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is a GC 1. There is a sticker on it that says "Model AR-6100 series" and the owner says it is"late 60s". Should be GC1, no? And I think that is a skirt...

Thanks!

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Im no expert in the field but I believe the Gold Crown I tables had painted skirts. I think it could be an early GCII

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Im no expert in the field but I believe the Gold Crown I tables had painted skirts. I think it could be an early GCII

I think the first stained/natural wood looking GCs were GCIIIs, all GCIs and GCIIs were painted I think.

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Im fairly positive that the GCII came with the natural wood skirts with silver castings. The GCIII had the Nickel/Copper castings.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hi all,

I am in the market for a used Gold Crown and stumbled across a GC 1 that is near to me. After scouring this forum I gathered that many GC1s came with "brunstone" rather than slate. The seller sent me this photo of the bed and it sure looks gray like slate but I was wondering if anyone can tell if this is brunstone or slate. Did any GC 1s come with actual slate?

Many thanks in advance!

TJ

Yes, that's Brunstone and not real slate, which is not all that bad, could even be great depending on its condition, and yes that's 100% a GC1. The aluminum moulding hinge on the skirts are the full length, which means it was made before they shortened them up to the shorter ones used on the GC2's:thumbup:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think it is a GC 1. There is a sticker on it that says "Model AR-6100 series" and the owner says it is"late 60s". Should be GC1, no? And I think that is a skirt...

Thanks!

Early 60's, maybe 61'-63' but would need better pictures to be sure, or a picture of the head rail, or feet of the table.

Glen

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The skirt is original GCI with the paint removed and wood (maple) re-finished. All I/II tables had painted skirts; III's had finished wood skirts.

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonderful info! Many thanks for your input. Here is a photo of the whole table. I just learned that there is a broken piece of brunstone near the middle pocket. Seller described it as "pizza-sized but mates well with the adjacent piece". Might be a deal killer. Now awaiting a a more-detailed photo....

Thanks again!