George Balabushka, any guess?

BushkaGUY

I bought mine directly from him for $135. That included an extra shaft. This was 1966.
"Bushka" as he was called, used to frequent McGowan's Pool room in Brooklyn. He was also a semi-regular at Sky Top which is where I met him and played most of the time. He rarely went to Ovington Cue because their tables were covered in gold cloth and he didn't like them. He was a cabinet maker by trade.
Interesting side note: His son, George Jr, was called "Bella". He was more of a wannabe and not a very good player. Average at best. I watched him lose his cue that his father made for him in a game of straight pool. He was shattered. I don't know if he ever got it back.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a titlist blank cue that I really like but I think it is the least desirable forearms with Szamboti being the most prized, IMO. Therefore because my cue was made in the early 1960's with a titlist blank I would think it would be the cheapest cue that GB made. I dont know but that would be my guess.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I have a titlist blank cue that I really like but I think it is the least desirable forearms with Szamboti being the most prized, IMO. Therefore because my cue was made in the early 1960's with a titlist blank I would think it would be the cheapest cue that GB made. I dont know but that would be my guess.
I wouldn't be so sure about your cue. I have a Titleist that when I had it appraised by Pete I was told me it was probably one of the earliest cues that George ever made which may give it enhanced value even though it's fairly plain.
I also have one with a Spain blank Balabushka. I'm not sure you'd have to talk to The collector but they may be even more desirable than Szamboti blanks

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only could I not afford the Balabushka, I couldn't afford the Palmer I really liked. I settled for the Gandy HC-145 with two shafts. My first cue. Still have the cue and the receipt from Shreveport Billiards. Paid $64.00 with two shafts. It appears on page 78 in the third edition of the Blue Book of Pool Cues.
A Ricco Cervantes cue when he worked at National.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob was stationed in ‘Nam….although not in combat…they used him for his brains.
I thought I’d speak up for him…he doesn’t want to brag or misrepresent, I’m thinking.
Unlike the troops in combat, I lived in air-conditioned quarters with daily maid service, and had two swimming pools, a theater, and a pool hall.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought mine directly from him for $135. That included an extra shaft. This was 1966.
"Bushka" as he was called, used to frequent McGowan's Pool room in Brooklyn. He was also a semi-regular at Sky Top which is where I met him and played most of the time. He rarely went to Ovington Cue because their tables were covered in gold cloth and he didn't like them. He was a cabinet maker by trade.
Interesting side note: His son, George Jr, was called "Bella". He was more of a wannabe and not a very good player. Average at best. I watched him lose his cue that his father made for him in a game of straight pool. He was shattered. I don't know if he ever got it back.
did mcgowan have another poolroom aside from being partners in ovington? the entire balukas family all had cues from george including more than one for Jean he lived 5 minutes from skytop or ovington (right between em)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All my Bushka’s are Spain blanks. No titlest or Szam’s 🙁.

I have one with szam inlays in it-Barry has the extra inlays from that idea in his shop. They were only used in one cue.

The market has softened up on them a bit

BushkaGUY

did mcgowan have another poolroom aside from being partners in ovington? the entire balukas family all had cues from george including more than one for Jean he lived 5 minutes from skytop or ovington (right between em)
Bushka lived on 89st and 3rd. A stones throw away from Sky Top which was on 86st and 5th. Frank McGowan had a small bar on 3rd Ave with a few tables in it. I don't know how many Bushka's the Balukas family had. I know Jeanie had one. Al probably had one too. Not sure about her sister. I played Jeanie and lost. Ovington Cue was on 5th Ave and 70st. My understanding is that it recently closed.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know how many he made but $18,000 will buy mine. I will bring it to the Expo.