glass top pool table

mechanic/player

Silver Member
I got a call today from a salesperson who sold a glass top table($$$$$) to a customer about 2 hrs from me. They had to use a crane to get this table in the house,anyway the person who installed the table did not do a very good job applying the clear vinyl playing surface and the customer is not happy with it at all, bubbles are in it everywhere. Apparently it is applied with a squegee using olive oil as a lubricant.She also wanted to know how many tables a year I do and how long I have been doing this line of work and that the vinyl is applied very much like a worsted wool cloth.

I was wondering if anyone has done one of these type tables before and is this something I really want to get myself into because it is a 2 hr drive 1 way for me.

Last edited:

Slate Billiards

Silver Member
That is a cool table. If you have ever tinted car windows you know what a pain it can be. I would imagine that this would be as time consuming. One question I had was why use olive oil? I recently had my car tinted and the guy used dish soap and water mix. Please post pics if you take this job.

mort

NeverLevel

Registered
Cool lookin novelty but sounds like a nightmare. Do you have any idea if its even possible to remove the vinyl and re-use it like you would with cloth? Might want to look into that atleast before driving two hours.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I would charge like $500 for labor, tell them its a long drive, you have no experience doing this work and you guarantee your work. If you can't do it, it would be fun to check it out. And make sure you get good instructions.

mechanic/player

Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering what to charge.I'm with you Donny $500+ for sure. I would have to bet on a long day, maybe practice once or twice with the old piece of vinyl first . I dont know all of the details of the job yet but she did say it had to be replaced, she sounded pretty desperate to have it done and said she would tell the customer that she talked to me so she could at least tell the customer something.

Dartman

Silver Member
We think alike Rick, that was the first thing that came to mind during our phone conversation this afternoon.

I'd guess that whoever makes the table can provide instructions which, IMO, is something you
should get before venturing out 2 hrs to try to figure it out.
Of course this is if you have nothing better to do until the Bwicks come in ... :grin:
and you have some experience installing window tint.

mechanic/player

Silver Member
The tables for next week have grown to 6 now, where was she last month ,lol?

I have no exp. with window tint. I have read the instuctions she sent me some,from the little I read from it you apply it the same way as any other cloth,stapling it to the sides of a liner and then you need 6 buckets to put under the pockets so that the olive oil that you apply evenly on the playing surface before you put the vinyl on can all be squegeed out to the pockets and then into the buckets. I can only imagine at this point how much fun this might be :grin:

Dartman

Silver Member
The tables for next week have grown to 6 now, where was she last month ,lol?

I have no exp. with window tint. I have read the instuctions she sent me some,from the little I read from it you apply it the same way as any other cloth,stapling it to the sides of a liner and then you need 6 buckets to put under the pockets so that the olive oil that you apply evenly on the playing surface before you put the vinyl on can all be squegeed out to the pockets and then into the buckets. I can only imagine at this point how much fun this might be :grin:

If it's a glass top table what's the deal with the vinyl?
I'd still call the manufacturer for some guidance and explain what the current problem is if you
decide to do this.
And Olive Oil isn't cheap. Maybe the last guy used regular instead of extra virgin. :grin:

TableTek

Silver Member
glass top table

I contacted this company recently about being the local installer in my part of the country. I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been stated other than these tables are made in Australia and replacement parts are going to be a nightmare. If it were close, I would be interested in taking a look at it. Let us know how you make out!
Rob

tableman

Silver Member
I'm with Rick on this one. Not NO but HELL NO! Sounds like BS to me. I wouldn't touch it. How much can you make in the same amount of time working on a real pool table. I won't even work on the "outdoor" so called tables. They're a croc too. My advice........RUNNNNNN :eek:

mechanic/player

Silver Member
I think I am going to pass on this job, it's not my baby. If anyone is interested say so in this thread and I will give you her contact info. The table is in the Newport News area of Virginia.

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
I cant blame you for passing up the offer to work on this table. Its a shame though for the customer after paying so much money for this table and then having no support for the install.

Looks like they should have just bought a Diamond :grin:

mechanic/player

Silver Member
Well I passed the job along to another local installer and am glad that I did after hearing the details of the job from him .:nono:

Last edited: