Guide to Finding your Vision Center

dreamingsnooker

I'm going to give you all a detailed guide on how you can easily find your vision center without being near a pool table. It's worked great for me, and so I can only assume it would work for others as well. So please, try it for yourselves if you are struggling in this area and let me know if you have any questions.

Material List:
  1. Strip of Paper - 4-5" (L) x 1/2" (W)
  2. Double Sided Tape (regular tape can be substituted)
  3. Bathroom Mirror

Set Up:
  1. Make an approximate 1/4" fold on either end of the paper, so that it looks like a "J" or "L"
  2. Stick a small piece of tape on the mirror, at around chin level.
  3. Stick the "hook" of the paper on the tape so the paper is sticking towards you.
  4. The paper facing you should be vertical.

All that's left to do is stand directly in line with the paper, and look up slightly at your eyes. Where ever the paper is lined up is your vision center. For me, it lines up around the inside corner of my left eye. I always knew I was left eye dominant, but this test has shown me that I don't need to have the cue directly under my left eye as I previously thought.

Feedback on this guide would be appreciated. I do not consider myself to be a guru on this subject.

Edit: It's probably best to use a thicker stock of paper. Something like a playing card or index card would be ideal.
can you please post a picture, thank you so much in advance

dreamingsnooker

I'm going to give you all a detailed guide on how you can easily find your vision center without being near a pool table. It's worked great for me, and so I can only assume it would work for others as well. So please, try it for yourselves if you are struggling in this area and let me know if you have any questions.

Material List:
  1. Strip of Paper - 4-5" (L) x 1/2" (W)
  2. Double Sided Tape (regular tape can be substituted)
  3. Bathroom Mirror

Set Up:
  1. Make an approximate 1/4" fold on either end of the paper, so that it looks like a "J" or "L"
  2. Stick a small piece of tape on the mirror, at around chin level.
  3. Stick the "hook" of the paper on the tape so the paper is sticking towards you.
  4. The paper facing you should be vertical.

All that's left to do is stand directly in line with the paper, and look up slightly at your eyes. Where ever the paper is lined up is your vision center. For me, it lines up around the inside corner of my left eye. I always knew I was left eye dominant, but this test has shown me that I don't need to have the cue directly under my left eye as I previously thought.

Feedback on this guide would be appreciated. I do not consider myself to be a guru on this subject.

Edit: It's probably best to use a thicker stock of paper. Something like a playing card or index card would be ideal.
i made it but i am confused with the size of paper, how do i know how big the size of J and L width should be? or any size should work? but lets say its too big then after finding the verticle line of those paper straight, how do i find my eye position to put the cue under?
if the width is too wide then it might be even showing that i hvae to put the cue even touching the right or left chick
i am confused, can you please do a short video on this ? or an easy picture so that i understand.
thank you heaps, im glade i found this post

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This thread is now useless without all the pics;)
Yes, the third party image hosting site that BeiberLvr used is gone. Discarded. Broke. And it was set up in a way that prevented archive.org from recording it.

Some of the images were transferred to Dr. Dave's site, linked above.

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have actually posted something along these lines long ago. For me, here is how you do it:

Get your cue and a mirror. Line up and attempt to stroke your tip straight at the mirror. Aim as if you want your tip to go inside the tip in the mirror, as if the reflection of your shaft was a tube that you are trying to stroke down perfectly straight. If you can line up your real shaft with the reflected shaft so that they appear to be pointing straight at each other, you then look and see where your eyes are in relation to this line. There is your vision center. For me it is also just inside my left eye, sort of the left side of the bottom of my nose. If I place this on the line of the shot, the shot looks straight to me.

Hope this helps,

KMRUNOUT
That did help, a lot. It's an easy way to determine just where your head should be in the stroke. I've been hitting better ever since I read this, and I've stopped giving myself a crimp in the next trying to align my cue perfectly with my nose!

Thanks.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those interested, I've added lots of resources to the vision center resource page since this thread first came out. In my experience, the most reliable and easiest way to find one's vision center is covered in this video:

It is done in the shooting position (which I think is important), and it doesn't required any shooting (which I think is also important to separate vision issues from stroking issues).

Enjoy!