Gus Szamboti Original Template Patterns

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Here is a cool collection of wall art.

Done in pencil etching and signed by Barry himself, these are the original patterns used to make Gus Szamboti's actual inlay templates.

This series of frames captures some of the most iconic inlays ever used in cue art. Barry added a comment or two as he signed each, offering history or identification where appropriate.

Each etching is on old original Gus Szamboti stationary and an original Gus Szamboti post card is matted between all Szamboti family business cards. Please enjoy.

This is the only set in existence and it will be shown at the Windy City Cue Show in October.

tikkler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey

Nothing cooler than that. Nothing more collectible than that...how did you get this stuff? What a find.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words Steve

I was fascinated with the iconic inlay designs and where they came from...what made Gus choose a propeller to put into his cue???

One day it just clicked...etch Gus' original patterns. The hard part was finding the right medium to etch upon...so when I managed to acquire sheets of Gus' original stationary the project came to life.

Barry shared the history behind each inlay and talked of his father. His remarks mention some of his Dad's inspirations for the original designs. This set is candid and unique. Some inlays came from elegant inspiration and others from very mundane sources. A few from customers...like the dove, a favorite inlay requested by Steve Mizerak.

Barry's comments tell a true history of the Szamboti inlay tradition from its very origin. This is a really unique set. These stories make for the best Szamboti biography yet and when the next Blue Book goes to publication, I hope to share them.

Here are pics of the actual pattern used to make the etchings. Barry made a gift of the original to me some time ago. He's truly one of the finest people I know and has helped me overcome personal challenges I once thought were insurmountable.

Last edited:

tinh339

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been a pleasure seeing again Gian. Thanks for every thing.....
Regards
Peter

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gian,

Congrats on owning cue history in its highest form, and thanks for sharing.