Has anyone seen 9-Ball The Movie w/Jennifer Barretta

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry I didn't catch this thread sooner to save you some mental anguish. This movie is an example of what NOT to do in every aspect. I got through about 5 minutes before my eyes started bleeding and haven't recovered since. :barf:

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished watching it and it was actually better than what I was expecting. My expectations were extremely low because I was expecting something along the line of "Sharks" the web series, but at least "9-Ball" actually had a storyline. The acting wasn't great, but once again most of it was better than I expected (thanks to "Sharks"). There were a few things that I found ridiculous, but I won't elaborate because I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it.

The APA pitches were a little excessive and in your face, but I understand that the APA probably contributed heavily to the movie and wanted to feel like they got a return on their investment.

To clarify a statement made earlier in the thread, her goal was to become a pro player and not just league MVP.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd probably give it a 4 or 5 if it weren't a pool movie. Being that it is a pool movie, I'll give it a 6.

I felt that this was infinitely better than "Sharks" the web series, but not as good as the movie "Turn the River" (another movie about a female pool hustler).

I don't regret watching it because I've pretty much seen every other pool related movie that has been released.

Thanks again for everyone that weighed in with an opinion. I wouldn't mind discussing it in more detail if anyone is interested, but I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished watching it and it was actually better than what I was expecting. My expectations were extremely low because I was expecting something along the line of "Sharks" the web series, but at least "9-Ball" actually had a storyline. The acting wasn't great, but once again most of it was better than I expected (thanks to "Sharks"). There were a few things that I found ridiculous, but I won't elaborate because I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it.

The APA pitches were a little excessive and in your face, but I understand that the APA probably contributed heavily to the movie and wanted to feel like they got a return on their investment.

To clarify a statement made earlier in the thread, her goal was to become a pro player and not just league MVP.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd probably give it a 4 or 5 if it weren't a pool movie. Being that it is a pool movie, I'll give it a 6.

I felt that this was infinitely better than "Sharks" the web series, but not as good as the movie "Turn the River" (another movie about a female pool hustler).

I don't regret watching it because I've pretty much seen every other pool related movie that has been released.

Thanks again for everyone that weighed in with an opinion. I wouldn't mind discussing it in more detail if anyone is interested, but I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone.

I watched a bit of the Turn the River movie, and it was way better than the 9 Ball one.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Just tell me...is it really something Disney would have done...if he had $200?

cueaddict

Registered
I've seen better film on teeth,9 ball has to be the biggest flop ever!

There hasn't been a good pool movie in 20 years(TCOM) it's not a good movie can't be made, it's just no one has put up a half way Decent budget for the kind of pool movie that players will respect and appeal to the non pool Community

The first step would be to find a good technical advisor, because let's face it how many times can we watch the same Masche shot in the corner pocket with cue ball coming back to make the 9 or 8 or what ever. Or the 9 is always hanging in the corner, and all it takes is a draw shot on the 3 to win ( hell, if pool games where set up like the movies I'd quit my job a go pro. Lol) but you boys and girls know what I'm talking about

The next thing you need put good actors in (again budget is an issue) I think we all are tired of pros trying to act!!!

It would be easier to teach an actor or actress a few things about the game, then it would be to teach the pros to act(Newman didn't even know how to hold a pool cue before the movie the Hustler) just a little FYI

Last and definitely not least,you need a believable plot
Maybe a kid Hustlin his way through college?
May be a young girl financing her way through law school
Maybe a single father trying to raise a little girl

And so on and so on..........

The problem with....

Turn the River
The baron in the kid
Pool Hall junkies
Stick man
Shooting gallery
9ball the movie

The viewer walks away no smarter about the game. The same old hustles, same old trick shots the same old banter that's in every other pool movies.
Let's give the non-pool player and a little bit of knowledge about the game

Sorry to go off on a rant but that's just my opinion I would like to know what everybody else thinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quite possibly the worlds worst movie. I never recovered from the total waste of time it was watching it.

If I cringe watching the trailer I'm pretty sure the entire film is going to be God awful.

I cringed a lot during the trailer.

Last edited:

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I won't go quite that far, but it's probably in at least the "honorable mention" category.
However, as a pool player I felt sorta obligated to watch it and as an APA player I felt sotra obligated to purchase the disc, so I did now I can watch it whenever I want!
Anyways. if you truly want to see the worst movie ever, try to find these:

The Oblong Box,
Microwave Massacre
Trouble in Mind

As bad movies go, any of those are light years beyond "9-Ball, The Movie"

Add Stickmen!!!!!!!!!!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you are being a hardon for the movie.

As I recall, Baltimore bullet was equally critisiced at its initial rollout, and now it is one of the top 1746 pool movies of all time,

Just give this one 3 decades, befor you judge.
:killingme:

SCS1014

Registered
Don't waste your time! I knew it was going to be bad but watched it anyway since we are both from the same area. Terrible movie....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
i'm pretty sure they hustled me out of $5 or $10 bucks to pre-purchase the dvd when they were trying to raise money. i never heard from them again.

Belford

Registered
i'm pretty sure they hustled me out of $5 or $10 bucks to pre-purchase the dvd when they were trying to raise money. i never heard from them again.
They also got $5 out of me for the pre-sale dvd. I emailed them about it but they didn't reply.