Home Tournament Guys (Jay, etc)

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
OK, thanks to Cuephoric and his table mechanic talents, I've now got an old-school brunswick 9-footer at the house....I saw Jay's post about his tourney and I'd like some ideas for fun, inexpensive tournies at the house....thinking about doing a monthly deal with friends, maybe 9 ball one month, 8 ball the next, 1 pocket, and so on.....

From a time perspective and 1 table, a little 4 person deal is easy to figure out and manage....the room is 20x20, so I also have room for a little high top and 2 chairs (when I get cash)......so pretty perfect for 4 people....

I'd like to do 8 peeps, but don't want to have marathons or people waiting hours to play.....anybody have any ideas as to formats or other ways to keep everyone playing....and finish in a 6-8 hour timeframe??? I guess I could do a bigger quarterly deal that lasts all day???? We have an old Wei in the living room and a decent area for 6 peeps to enjoy cigars outside while waiting....

Also, if anyone has a lead on 2 comfy bar stools, a high top table, and a pool light, all at dirt cheap prices in DFW, shoot me a pm :grin:

Oh, and big thanks to Cuephoric/Shane for his table talents.....he did excellent work on such an older table that had been rode hard and put up wet.....room is not quite ready yet, still storing crap in there, so no pics at this time.....

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
What about 3 ball, low cost, fun as hell to play, and everyone can play. Sounds silly but nobody ever lost an arm and a leg and we always had a blast playing.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I used to have 8 man tourneys or 8 team scotch doubles tourneys at my house in NC. What I used to do was make food to eat. A couple people would bring their wives or kids over for a little. Had a room with Madden getting played, always had stuff to watch on two other big screens as well. Lots of booze too and everyone would bring additional food and alcohol. We would start at 6 or 7 usually and finish up a little after midnight most of the time. Had a Diamond at the house. Mostly anyone from Fayetteville attended at some point and always had a good time. We would play 8 ball or 9 ball with pretty short races and entry fee was pretty cheap.

It's not to make money its to just have a good time in my opinion. People would sit around one of my tables and play drinking games or spades so if you werent playing there was always something to do. The key is to have people over you like and not just like to play pool with. Theres a big difference there trust me.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
I used to have 8 man tourneys or 8 team scotch doubles tourneys at my house in NC. What I used to do was make food to eat. A couple people would bring their wives or kids over for a little. Had a room with Madden getting played, always had stuff to watch on two other big screens as well. Lots of booze too and everyone would bring additional food and alcohol. We would start at 6 or 7 usually and finish up a little after midnight most of the time. Had a Diamond at the house. Mostly anyone from Fayetteville attended at some point and always had a good time. We would play 8 ball or 9 ball with pretty short races and entry fee was pretty cheap.

It's not to make money its to just have a good time in my opinion. People would sit around one of my tables and play drinking games or spades so if you werent playing there was always something to do. The key is to have people over you like and not just like to play pool with. Theres a big difference there trust me.

Thanks for the ideas guys.....

Dan, I only have 2 balls :grin:

Roscoe, ring game sounds fun and very workable...

Mikey, like the ideas.....want it to be cheap enough where nobody is concerned about money, just having a good time.....yes, friends and people who are fun to hang with.......good stuff....

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
OK, thanks to Cuephoric and his table mechanic talents, I've now got an old-school brunswick 9-footer at the house....I saw Jay's post about his tourney and I'd like some ideas for fun, inexpensive tournies at the house....thinking about doing a monthly deal with friends, maybe 9 ball one month, 8 ball the next, 1 pocket, and so on.....

From a time perspective and 1 table, a little 4 person deal is easy to figure out and manage....the room is 20x20, so I also have room for a little high top and 2 chairs (when I get cash)......so pretty perfect for 4 people....

I'd like to do 8 peeps, but don't want to have marathons or people waiting hours to play.....anybody have any ideas as to formats or other ways to keep everyone playing....and finish in a 6-8 hour timeframe??? I guess I could do a bigger quarterly deal that lasts all day???? We have an old Wei in the living room and a decent area for 6 peeps to enjoy cigars outside while waiting....

Also, if anyone has a lead on 2 comfy bar stools, a high top table, and a pool light, all at dirt cheap prices in DFW, shoot me a pm :grin:

Oh, and big thanks to Cuephoric/Shane for his table talents.....he did excellent work on such an older table that had been rode hard and put up wet.....room is not quite ready yet, still storing crap in there, so no pics at this time.....

Big Perm, we've had the two AZPoolFest so far, the first one was the DogsPlayingPool Invitational at my house and the one we just had at Jay's. The same format was used at both, and both finished in about 7 hours with, for some strange reason, almost every match going hill/hill:

8 person, double elimination 9 Ball, with races to 3 on each side - race to 4 final (single elimination final). So you could do this and finish in the 6-8 hours you are looking at. You can tweek the time by shortening or lengthening the races. You can also go shorter on the losers side with races to 2 for example. Or you could make it single elimination and have the races a little longer but no one wants to get bumped out of the whole event after one loss. You could also limit it to 4 people which would obviously make it faster and then you could maybe have two events in one day.

We allowed an hour or two before the start for everyone to get some practice time in (not included in the 6-8 hour estimate which is tournament time only).

As far as having people waiting with nothing to do, that hasn't proved to be a problem with us so far. At my event I had set up a poker table so that everyone not at the table could play cards. We never did get a poker game going. It seemed everyone was content to watch the action and just BS with each other. No one even watched TV.

Just make sure you have beer, soda, water and some snacks. Around the dinner hour you can order in a few pizzas.

Hope this helps.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
It does, really good detail here....thank you....

No problem, glad it helps. If you have any other questions or need more info, just ask or PM me.

BTW, there are many brackets available online but I used this one: http://www.printabletournamentbrackets.net/

What I like about this site is that you can download it in either PDF of Word doc. The cool thing about the Word doc is that you can actually add the names to it on the computer. With the PDF, if you only have Adobe Reader then you can only print it out and use it to write the names on. When my tourney was over I was able to print out a real nice looking chart of the bracket results, slip it into a frame, and hang it in my pool room.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Jay's tourney worked out really well. It was double elimination, race to 3 9-Ball, with a race to 4 final.

8 Players started at about 3:30 and we finished at maybe 11PM?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay's tourney worked out really well. It was double elimination, race to 3 9-Ball, with a race to 4 final.

8 Players started at about 3:30 and we finished at maybe 11PM?

Actually Brad, you made the last nine ball at about 10:30 PM. So it was about seven hours from start to finish. The time went by fast as everyone was schmoozing, eating and hanging out. I think eight guys is a good number. Not too crowded and yet enough that we have a lot of visiting we can do together. I try to spend some time with everyone.

The host (me this time) provides the snacks (soft drinks, beer, water, nuts and candy are fine) and also some dinner around 5:30-6 PM. Like Dogs I brought in four large pizza's (mixed styles) and that was more than enough for everybody. Once every month or two seems like a good schedule. You need about nine to twelve guys so that you can always make a full field of eight. It's hard to pick a day that works for everyone, so some people will always miss out whenever you schedule. But like I said, eight is a good number.

One other thing, we each pay a $20 entry fee so the total purse is $160. I would suggest paying three or four spots, with the winner getting half ($80). $80 - $50 - $30 is not a bad pay-out for three spots. This way it's fun, it's competitive and yet it's not too expensive. I added $20 to my event just so I could pay out four spots and make sure that fourth place got his entry fee back. Funny how that turned out to be me this time. By the way, it's more fun if all the players are fairly equal in skill. All eight of our players are fairly good shooters, with no one who is exceptional. This wouldn't work if you had a pro winning every time.

Last edited:

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
The real entertainment was getting to meet people you try to picture from reading posts.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I don't know the right word for hanging out and talking/gabbing. :smile:

schmoozing-present participle of schmooze (Verb)1. Talk intimately and cozily; gossip.
2. Talk in such a way to (someone), typically in order to manipulate, flatter, or impress them.

Jersey Shore smooshing - having sex

You confused me Jay...YOU CONFUSED ME!

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
LOL.....smooshing....you mean like walking into the bathroom and....

Nevermind :rolleyes::D

Thanks for all the help guys, good ideas to work with....now I just need to get to work and finish that room....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
schmoozing-present participle of schmooze (Verb)1. Talk intimately and cozily; gossip.
2. Talk in such a way to (someone), typically in order to manipulate, flatter, or impress them.

Jersey Shore smooshing - having sex

You confused me Jay...YOU CONFUSED ME!

Appropriate changes have been made. :rolleyes:
I like these guys but they're just not my type. They play too good! :thumbup:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hickey pool. I've had tournaments with at least 18 players on one table. Great for party environment. Loads of fun for all levels because you can handicap it.