House Come the Pros don't use Chalk Holders?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Number one reason is pro's can certainly expect there a new piece of chalk on the table when they arrive..... the rest of us can't, thus we don't like using the old grounded up piece that should have been tossed long ago, and then have to start searching for a usable piece at the counter, only to have the guy hand you a worse piece ;)

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
????????????

I just want to know "house come" the most meaningless subject, in the ENTIRE pool world, has captured almost 5 pages of responses ?..Is the readership on AZB really that bored (boring) ?..ie; WHO CARES ? :eek:

Lets talk about something exciting, like "How Much Pool Balls Weigh"or"Why am I so Unlucky on League Night" ?..
..(Oh sorry, I see there are already multi-page threads on those thrilling subjects)...Carry on men ! :sorry:

SJD...PS, I think I'll start a thread asking, "Why are Pool Balls Round" ?..Should be good for twenty pages ! :eek:

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I just want to know "house come" the most meaningless subject, in the ENTIRE pool world, has captured almost 5 pages of responses ?..Is the readership on AZB really that bored (boring) ?..ie; WHO CARES ? :eek:

Lets talk about something exciting, like "How Much Pool Balls Weigh" or "Why am I so Unlucky on League Night" ?..
..(Oh sorry, I see there are already multi-page threads on those thrilling subjects)...Carry on men ! :sorry:

SJD...PS, I think I'll start a thread asking, "Why are Pool Balls Round" ?..Should be good for twenty pages ! :eek:

Not sure what is funnier, that we are all this "bored" today, or that you posted twice already ;)

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what is funnier, that we are all this "bored" today, or that you posted twice already ;)

"Bored" is definitely funnier...earlier post was deleted !..Do your homework 'boring' person ! ;)

PS..RJ...People from Illinois, should be the LAST people on earth, to talk about "REPETITION"! .....(think Ghost,
Beardo, and Mr. 3-IQ) :eek:

Last edited:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo! Never could get decent chalk in some of the places I play, so I started using a chalk holder. Now it's become a part of my pre shot routine. So much so that using chalk on the table feels strange. Plus, I'm now 70...chalk holder saves steps.

Dam'n right, us old guys need all the help we can get (71 for me)

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dam'n right, us old guys need all the help we can get (71 for me)

And "the beat goes on"....You 'old guys' need to quit using your age as an excuse, for everything remotely pool related....Get over it, it ain't gonna change ! :p (trust me, it only gets worse) :cool:

PS..RJ is a young guy, and he picks on me because I am old and defenseless..Ask me if I care !..:p

Last edited:

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was watching some vids of the 2014 Away Espring tournament, and Ga Young Kim had what looked to be a custom chalk holder. She had her finger nails done to match.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all learn a way to initiate the PSR and trigger the subconscious to have full control of the mind. Often by simply stepping into the shot.

I would guess that many (if not most) of today's Pros learned in a hall over many hours and that they found you can "trigger" the return to conscious, thinking mode by picking up the chalk.

Notice how many pros "stop" and think when they pick up the chalk. Once you have learned this technique it becomes a favored habit and you then prefer the chalk on the table because that is the way you have always done it and it works well.

BTW notice how often a Pro will get exact position and then move to the shot with little (but some) attention to chalking. When they are stumped they spend more time chalking the cue,

On the flip side, snooker players carry their chalk and take it out for the same reasons.

I bet if you left the chalk on the table for a snooker player it would disrupt their momentum, Removing the chalk from the table would disrupt pro pool players.

So neither way is "correct" it is what one has learned. I also think that we learn many thing that are not in our immediate awareness when we learn them.

For instance, can you tell me why you prefer redheads, blonds or whatever?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Because good players realize when they miscue it was a break down in fundamentals.. not because they weren't using pre flag masters chalk lol They're only focused on making balls and getting position.

What does that have to do with "chalk holders"?

The OP did not ask why pros don't use X brand of chalk, he asked why they don't use chalk holders. Many pros carry their own chalk, and as mentioned most carry it in their pocket. There is a certain rhythm that many players get into when they carry their own chalk and instinctively grab it, chalk, and then repocket it without much thinking. There is a certain sense to this in that it allows the player to keep their focus on the table and the balls instead of having to break their concentration to look for chalk. More then a few times I have seen pros lose their chalk and have to go back to their chair to look for it on the table where their drink is because they did not put it back down on the table.

I think the snooker players have this one right, it is a rare thing to see a snooker player at the table suddenly start looking around for a cube of chalk when they need to be keeping their focus on the table. Nothing will get you out of the zone or keep you out of it faster then having to deal with BS like that.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Geezus, I don't put anything back where it belongs, I can't imagine replacing chalk in that silly holder every time. :D

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Is it some kind of joke so say "House"? what does a house have to do with chalk holders?

--Jeff