how are ya'll doing in league ?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i watched both vids. the 1st thing i wanna say is..... you break a helluva lot better than me.:frown:

About the only thing consistent enough to satisfy me, in my game, is my break. I've been through 7 break cues in the past few years, trying to figure out what's wrong with my break and it all came down to the stroke, aiming, and speed. The cue is just along for the ride :p

great shooting in the 8 ball vid. all i got to say if you ever missed i woulda saftied the shit outa you. :grin:

LOL :thumbup: I love nine ball, but my 8-ball game is fairly strong.

Then your ranking is likely just the local group of good players, although if you really count a 2 as a D and a 7 as a B+ or an A, a 5 should be about a B- just going by that.

My brother in law is a 7 and I'm a tiny bit under him in speed, which I figure would make me a 6 but I may be a 7 in APA, which would make you as a 5 very under rated in our area.

It's definitely just our group out here. There's no way it can be like this all over the US. I do believe our 8-ball rankings are "closer," but still off by a significant margin.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played in my 9 ball tricups tonight. the out come was kinda surprising. it was surprising due to the fact we won.

i lost the toss and they elected me to throw 1st. a few players were running late so i did not have much to choose from. i reluctanlty threw my 2 hoping they did not jump on him with a high handicap. to my relief they countered with a 2.

the 1st rack was un friggin believable. my 2 broke and ran 4 balls. his opponent misses and my 2 runs the friggin table !! he is up 10-0 in 1 inning.

the next rack my 2 shows his true speed and it winds up 11-7 him. they go back and forth for an ungodly number of innings and my 2 finally wins 14-6.

they throw a 4....we counter with a 4. their 4 wins 16-4. she is damn near as good as i am. !

after a lil discussion we decide to throw my g/f who is a 3....they counter with a 4. i left the area and did not watch because she says i make her nervous. she wins and i never did look at the score.

they throw a 7 next. we figured up all they had left was a 4 and we had 2-5's available.....me and the co-captain. we decide to throw me because i am prone to playing at the level of my opponent. i win 38-46. :grin:

sure enough they throw a 4 the last match and we throw our other 5. due to the points total so far our 5 needs only 22 points for us to win the match. it ends up him 22 and his opponent 15.

our other 5 will be there in the morning " the one i am always complaining about" but at least he is a lil better than our 4.

hopefully we can continue our winning streak tomorrow.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you guys know the old saying ? there is always next year . well i gotta think that way after we got put out in the semi finals yesterday.

as the above post shows we won fri night .

we showed up sat morning not knowing if we were even going to have enough players. for some reason our 1st match is kind of a blur this morning because all that i can think about is our last match where we got put out.

some high lights of our 1st match sat morning do stick out though.
1. we won with our best player not being there due to working.
2. our weak 5 " the one i always complain about on here " got his ass handed to him by an average 4. nothing new there ...he is 0-6 this session.
3. my g/f's son who is a 19 year old new to pool called a time out. i walked to the table and look at the situation and thought ..oh shit. no way in hell for him to get on the 1 ball. after contemplating it for a minute i thought what the hell. i told him to grab my break stick. i take it and show him how to line up and where to hit the cue ball. i will be damned if he did not execute a perfect jump shot with a full cue on his 1st ever attempt at a jump shot.

now on to our last match.

match time and we are short 2 players. with trepidation i throw our week 5 1st. they countered with a pretty strong 5 and i thought ..oh shit ! well our 5 decides to have the game of his life and won . damn !.

they throw a 4 and i counter with our 4...my g/f's son. we lose.

my best player had shown up during the 1st match..he is the co captain. we decide to throw him hopefully pulling their 6 out. my man is a 6. wrong ..they counter with a 4. a damn good 4 who hands my player his 1st loss this entire session. damn !

they throw a 1. my co captain wants to throw my g/f who is a 3. i tell him no that she has to spot that girl too many balls. i throw our 2 and he wins.

now we have to throw me. sure enough their 6 comes out. it turns into a dogfight ...both of us firing in shots left and right . then he starts playing a shit load of safes and gets 10 points ahead of me. i am kicking the shit out of everything making contact left and right and usually leave him hard.

last rack...he needs 1 and i need 3. he rattles the pocket on the 3. i can make it with no problem but the 4 is in a cluster. i make the 3 and just bump the 4. he bumps the 4. i bump the 4. he bumps again. i bump a lil too hard. he banks it across corner and wins 46-36. they win 52-48. what a bummer. my only loss this weekend and it had to be the most important match of the tournament.

my opponent and 2 of his team mates came up to me and they all said they have never seen any one who can kick as good as me. i replied i got good at kicking cause i always leave myself shit on the next shot. we all had a laugh about that.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bump from page 5. ya'll guys taking a hiatus or something. :grin-square:

it was an unreal night for me at apa 8 ball travel.

i face another 5 in a race to 4-4. i win the lag ...break and run down to the 8. i over cut it trying to snake it in between 2 of my opponents balls. damn i missed a b&r but i still won the rack.

2nd rack. i break and run to the 8. i bank cross side and hit the tip . damn i missed another b&r. win the rack any way.

i start missing a few shots i should make....old habits are hard to break. i guess. :grin-square:

my opponent wins 2 in a row ....seems i am caught up on missing those 2 b&r's.

so now its 2-2. my opponent breaks and runs a few balls and then he misses. i run out.

6th rack. i break and run....damn !. this inconsistent apa 5 damn near had 3 b&r's in 6 racks tonight. unfriggin believable to me. probably lose to a 3 next match lol.

Banks

Banned
6th rack. i break and run....damn !. this inconsistent apa 5 damn near had 3 b&r's in 6 racks tonight. unfriggin believable to me. probably lose to a 3 next match lol.

I hate it when 5's do that to me! :eek:

That's why I shut one out on Sunday, just in case. :p

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our team is doing ok so far. Our league is just managed by the bars and not sponsored or organized by any formal bodies, etc. No handicaps or ratings, just teams of 5 or more players and we play 3 sets of 5 games where individuals play a single game of 8 ball. After the 15 games, wins and losses are tallied to see who won the match and win losses are tracked for overall team rankings.

Our team has 2 beginning players (so D or lower). I'm the only B level player on our team, (and I'm only B level on bar tables). The rest of our squad is more C level players. Last night the team we played was all B level players. So we knew we had our work cut out for us.

I pulled in our only win in the first set. In the second set I stepped up on my first shot and knocked in the 8 ball...crap. In the 3rd set, our team captain had mistakenly put my second game down as a win for me. This made him feel like we had a chance to win the match in the 3rd set and he mentioned it to one of the C players next up. I corrected the captain but we didn't say anything to our boy who stepped up and BnR out. LOL! I ran out my third game in the final set but we lost 9-6 for the night. Not a bad showing overall for our team considering who we've got and who we were playing. We have lost 2 in row though so we're sitting at 1-2 so far to start this season.

Last night I stayed until the bar closed and played $5 games with players of our opposing team. I finished ahead but the few bucks is nothing compared to the fun and good time. I love this game.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate it when 5's do that to me! :eek:

That's why I shut one out on Sunday, just in case. :p

yea i know your type.:D

faced a guy i have known for years sun night. actually we used to be team mates in a money league.

he is a 7/9 and we dumped my g/f on him in 9 ball. she is a weak 3. as you know 3's and below get 2 time outs evry rack. i used every one of them.:grin: he gave me the finger once when i told her what to do. i just laughed at him. she won 25-64. :thumbup:

he got revenge on me in 8 ball. he shut me out 5-0 in 4 innings. :eek:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
NAPA last night... played 9-ball, I needed 5 in a 5-3 race. I won 5-2. It should have been 5-1; I practically handed the guy one game.

My other two guys shut-out their opponents, so that will be a nice points bump. Just did the math; we are now in second and only 6 points behind the first place team. :)

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
back to mr inconsistent again.:embarrassed2:

after playing just about the best i have ever played tue night.....i played like crap last night. napa laggers choice. i won the lag and chose 8 ball...4-4 race. i lost 4-2 because i was missing balls left and right. did not help that my opponent played a few jam up safes either.:(

tony frank

THE TRAPPER
Silver Member
After perusing some of these generically equal posts - I pray that I will never be required to be involved with this total BS. ALAS 54 rules for 8 ball. DUHHHH And many make up their own OF course to compliment the BS.

Trapper

Banks

Banned
After perusing some of these generically equal posts - I pray that I will never be required to be involved with this total BS. ALAS 54 rules for 8 ball. DUHHHH And many make up their own OF course to compliment the BS.

Trapper

You must be a blast.

I only got 37 points in bca last night, playing on the 4 diamond tables I own in the bar. Yeah, I suppose they're only barboxes, but will it count for anything when I buy the next six? Nice to have them close by and available any time I want.. and my time is free! Good thing there's no 100 miles of driving involved either. Well, I did make the 20 minute walk home after staying out a bit late with friends afterwards.

This Sunday I'll probably end up playing a 7/8 in both. Still a little bummed I let a match slip away a couple weeks ago.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Trapper

And the good news is that those of us who enjoy league don't need to put up with attitudes like yours...

Enjoy what you do. We will do likewise.

I had a great night at 9-ball this week, beat another SL5 15-5. Probably should have been a little better spread than that, but I'll take it. Played better than I have in a while. I hope I can take that and keep it moving forward.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member

Trapper

I'm glad I saw this post this morning. If I had seen it last night I may have cried myself to sleep. :rolleyes:

Banks

Banned
bump from page 5. ya'll guys taking a hiatus or something. :grin-square:

My turn to pick up the slack here!

Had a few players busy elsewhere yesterday and the team that we played had a 7/8, so off I go..

But their player didn't show! Doh. I ended up playing a 3 in 8b. She was a decent shot, just not the best at executing all of her safety shots and leaves. I had left my cue at my usual bar after BCA on Thursday. That bar doesn't open until about 3pm, so I had to bring another cue. Didn't like it, so tried a couple bar cues - every one of them had a metal ferrule, almost a sphere for a tip and either a wooden end or a slip-on rubber end(wtf?). I eventually switched out to a teammate's cue. She almost had me on the last game. I ran down to the 8, left it in front of the side, then she played a safety or two and ran down to the 8, only to leave herself bad and give me another shot at it.

Overall, we lost 6-7 in 8, but won close to 60-40 in 9. I think we were first in 9 and second by a few points in 8. There's still a lot of play to go, though. One of these days, I'll get my other 2 9b matches in.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Any of you guys ever run into the bar opponent on league night that when you play a safe he looks at you like you have lobsters coming out of your pants? Then he calls you a B1tch and tells you you're playing B1tch pool, or something similarly charming?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any of you guys ever run into the bar opponent on league night that when you play a safe he looks at you like you have lobsters coming out of your pants? Then he calls you a B1tch and tells you you're playing B1tch pool, or something similarly charming?

Yes, all the time. I keep winning, they keep losing. Then they get annoyed and leave.
I had a guy tell me that he would quit playing if I didn't stop, so I kept playing safe and he eventually quit complaining and just let it be. It doesn't happen all the time, but we do have a "straight 8 league" out here and they get annoyed when you "hide the cue ball." I told one of them, "I'm sorry, I thought I was supposed to win the game, not help you make shots."

I haven't picked up a cue in weeks, since I hurt my back. I'm feeling much better now and I'm going to go out to our match on Wednesday and hit some balls around.

Banks

Banned

I've been playing in bars since I started. The first thing I ask is what rules they prefer. If they don't say some kind of ball-in-hand/BCA rules, I assume it's basic "straight 8" and don't play defensively unless it's a two-way shot. It just emphasized different parts of the game, so as long as I work on safeties outside of those few games, it's all well and good. Fortunately, most of the people that hang out and play at the bar now know BCA-style rules.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There's one in our area who every single time after his opponent misses, if he doesn't have a clear straight shot, he will loudly proclaim his opponent just played a safety and it should be marked down.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not in league, no, but in my area it's referred to as "nagger pool." Just exchange the "a" with an "I." Yeah, classy people.

Last week:
Monday APA 8-ball: Our team, 2nd to last, played the 2nd place team. Every single match went to double hill. We lost by a single point, so I chalk it up as a win for us. Checked last night, we moved up a slot in the rankings. For my match, I played against a four who beat me in my first match of the session. I won the first game, lost the next two, when something clicked inside. I got mad, and as I got mad, I slowed down, concentrated more, and hit more softly. The balls stopped jawing in the pockets and started going in. I had to make two long, difficult, and almost identical shots on the 8-ball to win the next two, and the match. I felt vindicated. I finally beat a fellow 4 at even games.

Tuesday 9-ball: my bad luck keeps with me in nine. I played a 2 (myself:3). If she missed a shot, I had to try a kick just to not give up ball in hand. I miss a shot, she's left with an easy straight in shot. Needless to say, this phenomenon got to me. I started beating myself. I lost, not sure of the score. I'd like to sit out a week, see if it helps, but I doubt it, as tomorrow our opponents are 4s and below.

Wednesday in hous3 bar rules: got obliterated in my singles match. Opponent was a good friend of mine who seems to have my number. I break, make nothing. He runs six balls. I'm left with nothing. He makes his last, misses. Again, I have nothing. Horrible layout. He sinks the 8-ball. I win my scotch doubles later. My team wins by a point.