How can I tell if Nelsonite was used?

HeLLFiSH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can I tell if my shaft have been treated with a wood stabilizer like Nelsonite or Resolute? Do they look, feel, or smell differently than wood that was naturally stabilized and cured over time? Are there any marks that you can tell by? Do these stabilizers in anyway harm the way they perform or affect the woods in other ways?

Thanks in advanced.

HeLLFiSH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
masonh said:
you can definitely smell it when you cut the wood.

what kind of smell is it? Does mass produced cues like lucasi, joss, falcon or viking use it for their shafts? How can I tell without cutting into the wood?

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
HeLLFiSH said:
what kind of smell is it? Does mass produced cues like lucasi, joss, falcon or viking use it for their shafts? How can I tell without cutting into the wood?

It is almost impossible to know unless you cut the wood. But, if you cut the wood, it will have an natural chemical smell.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
something along the lines of naptha.sometimes it gives the wood i slightly darker color but it will be uniform so that really won't help you.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
masonh said:
something along the lines of naptha.sometimes it gives the wood i slightly darker color but it will be uniform so that really won't help you.

deleted post

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
For years Mcdermott used Thomson water seal, They and most of the big manufactures have stopped using stabilizers on there shafts/cues for 1 major reason, most cue's are made over seas now, and it's cheaper for them to replace a few hundred or thousand shafts and or cues a year than to make the investment to treat there wood, or too let it sit for a long time. I've seen the factory that makes 80 percent of the cues from asia, 1,000,000 square feet building, upper level is nothing but pallets of wood, lower level is the machinery.

The big cue companies buy 100,000 shafts or more a year, so lets just say they get them for .50 cents, or maybe less a piece? they take 2 turns on every one of them, If one warps, so what, cost effective to do them quick and get them done,

Most my knowlege come's from my uncle who actualy has the first hand knowlege of seeing this building, and its goings on. Infact, My uncle told me that I could have all our b/js made there, for about half of what the parts cost me, all I have to do is install the tip, and sand the shaft. I was so tempted, but that's not custom cuemaking is it.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HeLLFiSH said:
How can I tell if my shaft have been treated with a wood stabilizer like Nelsonite or Resolute? Do they look, feel, or smell differently than wood that was naturally stabilized and cured over time? Are there any marks that you can tell by? Do these stabilizers in anyway harm the way they perform or affect the woods in other ways?

Thanks in advanced.

Falcon uses it.

dave sutton

Banned
RFisher said:
Infact, My uncle told me that I could have all our b/js made there, for about half of what the parts cost me, all I have to do is install the tip, and sand the shaft. I was so tempted, but that's not custom cuemaking is it.

mike g did it. i dont think its horrible. just like buying a skeaky pete blank and converting it. then you can focus on the higher end customs. although the imports will never be as good as your jb's.