How do you clean up the Pool Table?

Calgaryplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice pool daily basic that leaves many marks on the pool table. I basically clean up the table with a brush. But, using the brush can damage the surface of the cloth because my table are those very cheap / low quality cloth put on. Moreover, using the brush can't remove all of the marks.

I would like to know what the proper way is to clean up the table? Is using a damp cloth alright or need to buy those table cleaner products?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I vacuum my table every week or two (it's always covered when not in use). A damp cloth (wring it out) will get up what little is left and then a light brushing in one direction towards the foot end should smooth out the cloth.

Some guys recommend "Chalk-off" (I think it's called). I prefer not to put any agent on the cloth to avoid any possibility that it ends up attracting dirt. Put if you do a search of the stuff, many use it and like it.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I practice pool daily basic that leaves many marks on the pool table. I basically clean up the table with a brush. But, using the brush can damage the surface of the cloth because my table are those very cheap / low quality cloth put on. Moreover, using the brush can't remove all of the marks.

I would like to know what the proper way is to clean up the table? Is using a damp cloth alright or need to buy those table cleaner products?

Thanks!!
Vacuum it. There is a problem with vacuuming if the installer didn't do the joints in the slate well, and that is that you may pull up broken bits of joint seal. You can avoid this by not vacuuming over the joints.

I think it's a bad idea to use the spray-on products. A damp towel is sufficient for getting off the top layer of chalk if no vacuum is available and it doesn't leave who-knows-what in the cloth. Using a damp towel after vacuuming helps to clean up any remaining dust.

If you find that the brush is damaging the table, you have a really bad cloth and/or a really bad brush. I'd get rid of one or both.

JCurry

can I use my mulligan?
Silver Member
I've used brushes, vacuums, chalk-off, etc... Now I just wipe my table down with a damp microfiber cloth once a week. I soak the cloth and wring it out completely so it's just damp. Brush it in one direction the length of the table. The microfiber cloth picks up everything like a magnet. If you do this once a week, or after each practice session, and not let the chalk build up you will probably never have to resort to any other cleaning method.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I take my advice from they Knights of Ni and use a herring. It's great to comb out your cloth.

Calgaryplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used brushes, vacuums, chalk-off, etc... Now I just wipe my table down with a damp microfiber cloth once a week. I soak the cloth and wring it out completely so it's just damp. Brush it in one direction the length of the table. The microfiber cloth picks up everything like a magnet. If you do this once a week, or after each practice session, and not let the chalk build up you will probably never have to resort to any other cleaning method.

How about those paper which is used for wiping the vechicle?

mr_griff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vaccuum

I used a vaccuum with an attachment that has rotating brushes powered by a little impeller. This is probably too aggressive for most people, but it isn't motorized like the actual vaccuum head and light finger pressure stops the brushes from moving. I used Bondo on the joints of my table so I don't worry about breaking off the joint filler. It works great. Here's a link.

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageI...602896&utm_content=6790&utm_campaign=DATAFEED

Part of the problem you might be having isn't from chalk, but actual burn marks which don't come off. If that's the case you'll figure that out if you vaccuum.