How do you improve?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, but doesn't answer my question. Gambling, now you're talking about experience and mental toughness, not instruction or mentoring.

I agree they are two different things.

And yes, I believe most all the greats had a mentor at some point and then turned around mentored someone as well.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Practice , practice and more practice.its nice to play against a pro .
But normally you don't get to shoot or if you do, its bank or a kick.
I have a extra shaft with clear plastic tip .and I don't ever chalk the tip.
I practice hitting center cue ball ...if I don't hit center cue ball the plastic tip will miss cue . most unchalked hard tips miss cue extremely easy .
If you have a shaft with a triangle or lepro ,, don't chalk the tip and practice .
I know this sounds extremely basic ..

To me its all about stance ,stroke ,cue speed and or cue ball speed ,where your hitting the cue ball and follow through .

Good luck

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Throw all 15 balls randomly on the table, but not touching. Try to run all the balls without the cue ball or object ball touching another ball.

When you can do this, try it the same way and running them in rotation.

If the cue ball or object ball hits another ball, you must put all the balls back on the table and start over.

Another version is to try to do it without the cue ball touching a rail.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try playing straight pool.
The game will teach all the skills needed for all other games.
My almost 60 years of playing straight pool have taught me to see patterns and how to maneuver around balls such as you always encounter playing 8 ball on 7 foot tables.

I couldn't agree more but to add to that, he should watch some pros on YouTube to get an idea of the rules and strategies of the game.

Start here then let YouTube recommend new videos from there after.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try playing straight pool.
The game will teach all the skills needed for all other games.
My almost 60 years of playing straight pool have taught me to see patterns and how to maneuver around balls such as you always encounter playing 8 ball on 7 foot tables.

ABSOLUTELY!! I can't imagine why any pool player would neglect this discipline in favor of another but some do, most of whom have no idea of the benefits. And, before anyone says "Straight Pool won't teach you the long shots you need to play 9 ball", I never knew anybody who could play 14.1 who didn't spend time shooting long shots until they came out their ears. I know I did and long shots have never held any fear for me and have won me a LOT of 9 ball and One Pocket games!

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch and STUDY (repeat, STUDY) how Shane Van Boening plays the game.
Go to tournaments where he is playing and watch him like a hawk. Think and concentrate on what he does at the table.
Work, work, work, at duplicating what he does.
Ignore overpaid instructors (who choke under pressure themselves). If the instructor cannot gamble his money and win most of the time....then he/she are dust in the wind.
Get a good, reliable, aiming system and master it.
Do all that and you will get better.
After a year, if you haven't vastly improved, then quit and take up something else.
Good wishes to you.
:thumbup2:

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low500...Who are these "overpaid instructors who choke under pressure themselves"...and how would you know, since you've already admitted here that you can't play at all? :rolleyes:

Scott Lee ~ not overpaid at all, but wonders who they are nonetheless

http://poolknowledge.com

Ignore overpaid instructors (who choke under pressure themselves). If the instructor cannot gamble his money and win most of the time....then he/she are dust in the wind.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low500...Who are these "overpaid instructors who choke under pressure themselves"...and how would you know, since you've already admitted here that you can't play at all? :rolleyes:
Scott Lee ~ not overpaid at all, but wonders who they are nonetheless
Well, you brought it on yourself. Here it goes......
YOU are one who dogs it in the clutch.
I've watched you play.
Deal with it.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low 500...You're just a sour old man (hell, I may be older than you), who talks a good game, especially about the "good ole days". Your only gripe with me started when you called me a liar about truthful information I posted about Don Willis, and I called you out for it. You were wrong, and you just can't admit it. Since then you make it your business to insinuate and make innuendo about me. You have never seen me play. You have no idea who I am...just as I don't know you from Adam, with one exception. I, at least, post under my own name. My skills as an instructor are well documented, here and all over the country. I've even helped international players to up their game. I believe I would certainly be able to beat you at any game you choose to play. But I doubt you have the stones to step up.

Scott Lee

Well, you brought it on yourself. Here it goes......
YOU are one who dogs it in the clutch.
I've watched you play.
Deal with it.

Last edited:

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low 500...You're just a sour old man (hell, I may be older than you), who talks a good game, especially about the "good ole days". Your only gripe with me started when you called me a liar about truthful information I posted about Don Willis, and I called you out for it. You were wrong, and you just can't admit it. Since then you make it your business to insinuate and make innuendo about me. You have never seen me play. You have no idea who I am...just as I don't know you from Adam, with one exception. I, at least, post under my own name. My skills as an instructor are well documented, here and all over the country. I've even helped international players to up their game. I believe I would certainly be able to beat you at any game you choose to play. But I doubt you have the stones to step up.

Scott Lee

In your defense, the greatest golf instructors of all time were not great golfers, but most were/are pretty dang good. Good instructors have a lot of knowledge, yes, but importantly, are very observant. And good at communicating. Plus, being likeable and not jerks lol.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
livemusic...100% agreement! I've never claimed to be some champion, but I've proven many times that I have plenty of skill at the table, in addition to knowledge and communication skills. That last thing you wrote fits me to a T...just ask anyone who knows me! :thumbup: What's crawled up Low 500's butt is unknown.

Scott Lee

In your defense, the greatest golf instructors of all time were not great golfers, but most were/are pretty dang good. Good instructors have a lot of knowledge, yes, but importantly, are very observant. And good at communicating. Plus, being likeable and not jerks lol.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
I'll vouch for that Scott. I've never played a lick of pool with him but the money I paid you want for him wasnt for his game, it was for his knowledge.

Even if Scott weren't a good player it doesn't matter, I never claimed to be but I live by the old saying, do as I say (or teach rather) not as I do.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk