How much difference in feedback will a Supersoft/Soft tip compared to Medium/Hard tip

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
be on a Carbon Fiber shaft?

What's the rule of thumb on different types of tips on a CF shaft?

Thanks!

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
I honestly think it's personal preference. I like hard tips. I am currently using a @pooldawg8 milk dud on my rhino shaft and love it.
I couldn`t agree with you more boogieman. It`s all about personal preference what each individual likes rather it be a soft tip, medium tip, hard tip, super hard tip, etc etc. To each there own as it should be.

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
So on my bull carbon, had a kamui black medium I believe… for me, even after it was shot in and settled… I just couldn’t get used to it (it responded inconsistently).

I finally got annoyed, cut it off and put a lightly pressed triangle on. I am very pleased.

What I have noticed (for me anyway) any shaft, be it wood or carbon, will have tips that you like more on.

May also depend on the game you are playing and how much energy you put into the cue ball.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEB

I don’t understand why people aren’t answering your question.

The difference is BIG. If my tip is too hard, i miscue all the time on fairly routine shots...probably once every 4 games.

When I play with a soft tip i never ever miscue.

BUT…the price i pay for not miscueing ever is that the soft tip grabs the English so much easier that it allows for missed shots because of unintended english.

The feel between a soft and medium hard is vastly different. One “pops” (medium hard) while the other is like hitting with a pillow (soft)

Everyone here is correct that it’s a personal preference but there are some tangible differences between the two.

You will “feel” stun shots and forceful shots better with a medium hard tip. No doubt. But conversely you will “feel” slow spinners and kill shots much better with a soft tip.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From a purely objective standpoint I think if you can get the hardness rating of any tips that you would consider; then it would be the same difference in feel as measured by the differences in percentages based upon the rating. For example a 70 hardness rated soft tip should be about 20% softer feel than a 90 hardness rating tip- 70/100 as compared to 90/100.

But that would be just on the pure math- right- so individual sensitivities will result in a more subjective decision on tip hardness effects on your CF shaft--- so that you could only determine via self experimentation- I can't talk to that for you.

SEB

I think both of these are misperceptions caused by imperfect strokes.

pj
chgo
It’s definitely not misperception. This is commonly known stuff amongst players.

But imperfections in the stroke?…No doubt. We’re not robots. So you have to pick your poison…do you want to miscue sometimes or be slightly less accurate?

The more perfect your stroke, the harder your tip can be.

Don’t believe me? Put that same exact tip of left English on a stun shot with a Kamui super soft. It’s going to spray like you wouldn’t believe compared to your normal cue. (Aka…you’re going to miss badly)

Now with that same Kamui super soft…try and miscue. Like, literally try…it’s pretty crazy how hard you gotta work to miscue with a tip that soft.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
It’s definitely not misperception. This is commonly known stuff amongst players.
It truthfully is a misconception, especially your beliefs that you miscue with a hard tip and your soft tip “grips the ball better allowing you to impart more spin on the ball and reduce miscues”.

A tip is a small piece of leather you use to hit a hard phenolic ball. Given this, they’re all “hard” very quickly. You don’t miscue more with a hard tip, you miscue because you either don’t chalk properly, or more commonly, have flaws in your stroke. A soft tip doesn’t “grab the ball better or impart more spin” either, that’s a figment of your imagination. All a soft tip does is have you spend more time trimming and shaping it after it’s installed until it becomes hard.

SEB

It truthfully is a misconception, especially your beliefs that you miscue with a hard tip and your soft tip “grips the ball better allowing you to impart more spin on the ball and reduce miscues”.

A tip is a small piece of leather you use to hit a hard phenolic ball. Given this, they’re all “hard” very quickly. You don’t miscue more with a hard tip, you miscue because you either don’t chalk properly, or more commonly, have flaws in your stroke. A soft tip doesn’t “grab the ball better or impart more spin” either, that’s a figment of your imagination. All a soft tip does is have you spend more time trimming and shaping it after it’s installed until it becomes hard.
Then go play with a samsara…it’s just a piece of leather right? Let me know how that works out for ya 😂

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Then go play with a samsara…it’s just a piece of leather right? Let me know how that works out for ya 😂
I do on my break/jump, and their break/jump tips are not just leather. It’s leather that’s been chemically treated to achieve a level of hardness similar to phenolic.