How To Break And Run 9-Ball

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there,

some of you may already know my channel from the AZB Ghost Challenge. I now decided to do my instructional videos in english.

Recently I made a video where I explain how to break and run a rack of 9-ball. Thats maybe interesting for some of you. There are also other instructional videos in english available.

https://youtu.be/xwcFkkm3IFw

I would be thankful if you would take a look and give me some feedback on my work.

Shari

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I just had a private lesson with Jennifer Barretta this past week.

Your video is a perfect demonstration application of the theories & techniques she taught me. A home run, no doubt. Thank You! -Z-

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there,

some of you may already know my channel from the AZB Ghost Challenge. I now decided to do my instructional videos in english.

Recently I made a video where I explain how to break and run a rack of 9-ball. Thats maybe interesting for some of you. There are also other instructional videos in english available.

I would be thankful if you would take a look and give me some feedback on my work.

Shari
I love the "thinking 3 balls ahead" thought process, although it's really only 2 balls ahead of the ball you are currently shooting at. I stress this to our "B" level players - Planning 2 balls ahead of the ball you are currently shooting at, in terms of where you need to try to leave the cue ball, is the only way for them to get their game to the next level.

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback. I've put a lot of heart into it. New lessons are coming soon :)

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of players will find this helpful...you have a magic 4 ball though, at 1:59 into the video the 4 ball changes from pink back to the standard purple when you switch to animation..nicely done!

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of players will find this helpful...you have a magic 4 ball though, at 1:59 into the video the 4 ball changes from pink back to the standard purple when you switch to animation..nicely done!

Yeah, I'm using the aramith tv balls. You have a good eye on details.

I'm hoping this helps a lot of players. Here in my club are so many players who still dont do the things that I explained in the video, even if they are already playing several years.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
a few observations:

First, nicely done both in production quality and in the lesson itself.

I agree with Chris who pointed out that it's actually the shot you are shooting plus the next two shots being planned.

The break shot that you used you appeared to draw the cue ball straight back to bounce off the center of the head rail and then release back down toward center table. I know it didn't make it all the way back to center table but, as you pointed out, it still worked out well. My question about this is are you recommending to draw the cue ball for a bounce off of the head cushion rather than the traditional "squat the rock" to get the cue ball to center table on the breaks? I wonder how consistent that method could be not only to achieve the centerline draw but for whitey to avoid potential traffic going up and back.

The last thing is on your shot on the 5b going to the 6b your ball strike animation shows a somewhere around 3 to 3:30 cue ball strike but the actual hit looked like center ball though it could have just been the camera angle (or my eyeballs :eek:). If you could clarify this minor detail.

Bottom line was a very nice runout imo, and that's what we're all after. :thumbup:

thx for sharing.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Hey there,

Shari

Nicely Done! Kudos!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good video for beginners.
I would have shot the 4 ball differently but it works the way you did it.
there is more than one way to shoot a lot of shots.
I always tell players if you have 2 options shoot it the way you are most comfortable.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback. I've put a lot of heart into it. New lessons are coming soon :)

Good vid. I think you should have explained a little more going from the 2 to the 4. The way you played it was correct because you are coming into the path of the 4 ball and have more room for error. Explaining that might help people who feel dragging over is the right shot.

Video is very well made. I think I'm gonna subscribe.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nicely made video! Well done sir!
Good information. It may have been slightly more helpful if it had been an 8 ball runout instead of a 7 ball runout (made 2 on the break), and if the balls hadn't been spread out quite so nicely.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These youtube instructionals are great for the game.

In my area, there are a bunch of college students who haven't been playing long but are very capable, and they almost all claim to have learned the game from youtube.

Keep-up the good work.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is a very informative and well-produced video.

The only criticism I have -- if it is a criticism -- is that there is a great deal of information in a fairly short video. I think a lot of players would be helped by more examples of each major point that you make.

One way to do that would be with several more rack run videos. That would naturally lead to a variety of examples. Another would be to do several examples of each concept together in a single video.

Good job!