How to make the next step

PoolPlayer22

Registered
Hey guys. I was curious on the board’s opinion on how to make the next step from serious apa player (ranked 7 in 8 ball and 8 in 9 ball) to really putting away other 7s and 8/9s in 9 ball.

I progressed really fast a couple years back by spending 1-2 hrs a day in a pool room after purchasing Tor Lowry’s dvd set. Maybe i need to get back to that. Or maybe lessons are in order. Our house pro at Gradys billiards in Lexington, SC is Josh Roberts. Ive thought about scheduling lessons from him. I consistently give up a game or 5-10 pts in 9 ball when i shouldn't.

I want to make the leap to being able to comfortably beat 8s and 9s in 9 ball and skunk 7s in 8 ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys. I was curious on the board’s opinion on how to make the next step from serious apa player (ranked 7 in 8 ball and 8 in 9 ball) to really putting away other 7s and 8/9s in 9 ball.

I progressed really fast a couple years back by spending 1-2 hrs a day in a pool room after purchasing Tor Lowry’s dvd set. Maybe i need to get back to that. Or maybe lessons are in order. Our house pro at Gradys billiards in Lexington, SC is Josh Roberts. Ive thought about scheduling lessons from him. I consistently give up a game or 5-10 pts in 9 ball when i shouldn't.

I want to make the leap to being able to comfortably beat 8s and 9s in 9 ball and skunk 7s in 8 ball.
First off you have quit your job then start living in your car and then possibly consider some sort of chemical to abuse. ;):D

CokerFan82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play cheap

Find a practice partner and wager small bets for food, table time, etc., if you don't possess the diligence to train very seriously alone.
Practice playing your top speed NO MATTER WHAT. Don't try* shots (you'll lose because of it) unless you are practicing alone and attempting to master it by repeating that 1 shot until it's automatic.
Better players make less mistakes, that's why they win. They make less mistakes by making the right decision. This comes from practicing making the right decisions ALWAYS.
Play safety when you are suppose to. Don't run out if you can't. There ain't no secrets.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You got some good advise already. I would add to start entering some open tourneys which don't have handicaps. Playing tougher competition will help you gauge where you are at.