How to Weigh a Cue

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
I just put a cue on a postal scale and the Butt was 13.3 and the shaft was 4.4 that is 17.7? this was supposed to be a 18.5oz cue?

I tried the postal scale down the hall and the butt weight was the same , and it said the shaft was 4.5

Yesterday I weighed a cue that was supposed to be a 20oz and the Butt was 15.7 and the shaft was 3.8 on the postal scale and shaft was 3.7 on the one down the hall.

Do you cue makers run into this with scales?

Is there a more accurate way to weigh the cues?

qfancier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
I just put a cue on a postal scale and the Butt was 13.3 and the shaft was 4.4 that is 17.7? this was supposed to be a 18.5oz cue?

I tried the postal scale down the hall and the butt weight was the same , and it said the shaft was 4.5

Yesterday I weighed a cue that was supposed to be a 20oz and the Butt was 15.7 and the shaft was 3.8 on the postal scale and shaft was 3.7 on the one down the hall.

I have seen a cue butt's weight vary as much as .5 oz. and a shaft .2 oz. due to weather (humidity and heat) changes. But, your variances appear to be extreme.

Differences between scales is not uncommon.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing yours is a production Q. If you order a 20 oz. Q & they don't have one , they will pick the closest weight they have & send it off. I don't think you'll find that with custom Qs...JER

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
Some of the cheap postal scales do not read accurately in the lower weight range. That may be why the shafts registered differently.

CaptainHook said:
Buy a better scale,
or,
If you're weighing a shaft, add an item to the scale that you know the weight of (maybe 10 ounces or so), then subtract that weight from the reading.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
BLACKHEARTCUES said:
I'm guessing yours is a production Q. If you order a 20 oz. Q & they don't have one , they will pick the closest weight they have & send it off. I don't think you'll find that with custom Qs...JER

Yes, so far the only two I have weighed are production cues.

I do have a few custom cues, but have forgot the exact weight.:)

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
TellsItLikeItIs said:
Some of the cheap postal scales do not read accurately in the lower weight range. That may be why the shafts registered differently.

Buy a better scale,
or,
If you're weighing a shaft, add an item to the scale that you know the weight of (maybe 10 ounces or so), then subtract that weight from the reading.

Great idea, Thank you.:)

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
Hey, Dude,,,my dope scales are accurate, man ! :cool:

bought them (digital scales) from home depot,,,the reading is more sensitive in the gram calibration than in the oz. side.... j

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Jack Flanagan said:
Hey, Dude,,,my dope scales are accurate, man ! :cool:

bought them (digital scales) from home depot,,,the reading is more sensitive in the gram calibration than in the oz. side.... j

Good idea, I will check out the Home Depot, and the dope store across the street LOL. Really, directly across the street is one of those stores that sells the pipes & screens & stuff. LOL

It will be interesting to price shop the dope guys then the depot.:D
The dope shop probably buy them at the depot and double the price.:eek:

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
I picked up a good one on eBay a few years ago for about $25.00. I found one that has a capacity up to around 27 ounces, but it also weighs down to the 1/10th of a gram. This way, I can use it for weighing cues (17-21 oz. range) and much lighter things such as epoxy base and hardener for accurate mixing. Check out seller "oldwillknott---(great-scales!)". It looks as if you can get one for under $20.00 delivered these days.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ragbug74 said:
I picked up a good one on eBay a few years ago for about $25.00. I found one that has a capacity up to around 27 ounces, but it also weighs down to the 1/10th of a gram. This way, I can use it for weighing cues (17-21 oz. range) and much lighter things such as epoxy base and hardener for accurate mixing. Check out seller "oldwillknott---(great-scales!)". It looks as if you can get one for under $20.00 delivered these days.

Which one would you recommend he sells? Most of them seem to be very small jewelry scales with a small capacity. The larger capacity ones do not have the fine resolution.

Does this one look ok? Is a .05 oz/ 1 gram resolution sufficient for cuemaking? I know my current postal scale jumps up and down in .4 oz increments.

Kelly

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
It's not the same one I have from a few years ago, but the "LUXE 600 x 0.1 GRAM DIGITAL POCKET SCALE JEWELRY SCALE" sounds like a candidate. It's got a top-end of 21.16 oz, so you should be OK weighing most cues. On the lighter end, it is accurate to .01 grams and .005 ounces which is pretty good. The best thing about it, which is what I looked for when I purchased a scale, is that it uses regular AAA batteries, not button watch batteries. This way, you can always find a set of fresh batteries, and they don't cost you more than the scale. For $17.00 (including S/H), this scale sounds like a good deal. Maybe this is the one you were asking about, but your post didn't specify.

I also discovered the same thing you did.....the larger capacity scales tend to loose their fine accuracy. This is why I stuck with a smaller "jewelers" scale as they are pretty accurate at these fine weights.

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Keep in mind with production cues, when a production manufacture produces a cue by weight it can be + or - 3 grams. So a cue that says 19oz could be anywhere from 18.7 to 19.3 oz.

Have a good day!!!!!

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ragbug74 said:
It's not the same one I have from a few years ago, but the "LUXE 600 x 0.1 GRAM DIGITAL POCKET SCALE JEWELRY SCALE" sounds like a candidate. It's got a top-end of 21.16 oz, so you should be OK weighing most cues. On the lighter end, it is accurate to .01 grams and .005 ounces which is pretty good. The best thing about it, which is what I looked for when I purchased a scale, is that it uses regular AAA batteries, not button watch batteries. This way, you can always find a set of fresh batteries, and they don't cost you more than the scale. For $17.00 (including S/H), this scale sounds like a good deal. Maybe this is the one you were asking about, but your post didn't specify.

I also discovered the same thing you did.....the larger capacity scales tend to loose their fine accuracy. This is why I stuck with a smaller "jewelers" scale as they are pretty accurate at these fine weights.

Yeah, I forgot the link in mind I was asking about. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.
Kelly

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:

Set the scale to grams and divide by 28.35. Weigh the butt and shaft at the same time.

wincue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:

Two things. 1. I've seen people forget and weigh cues with the shaft and joint protectors on. 2. I found a good digital scale at Office Max that has both grams and ounces for less than $30.00Two comments.

olsonsview

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A quick check of your postal scale

If you are wondering if your scale is accurate, take the cue to your local deli or butcher shop. They have scales certified accurate, and if you are a customer there they will most likely consent to weigh the cue so you can compare it to your reading.

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Free Scale

wincue said:
Two things. 1. I've seen people forget and weigh cues with the shaft and joint protectors on. 2. I found a good digital scale at Office Max that has both grams and ounces for less than $30.00Two comments.

I do take the joint caps off.

I just weighed another cue, 18.9 one the one scale and 19.1 on the other.
Close enough, I call it 19.:D

Last edited:

tsp&b

Silver Member
Your local body shop

olsonsview said:
If you are wondering if your scale is accurate, take the cue to your local deli or butcher shop. They have scales certified accurate, and if you are a customer there they will most likely consent to weigh the cue so you can compare it to your reading.
Another Place to check your scale is a Body Shop with paint mixing scales. You talk about accurate their scales are super accurate.