How well known are Omen cues made by Pete Ohman compared to other cue makers?

I am curious how well known Omen cues made by Pete Ohman compared to other cue makers?

Are his cues as well known as cue makers like Gilbert, Lambros, Scruggs, Richard Black, and others in the same league?

I know that Omen cues may not be as high end (or might be, but I just do not know), but I am just curious how well known Omen cues are?

Is the quality of his cues in the same league as the other very well known cue makers?

I also really love Mike Durbin cues, and wonder if Oman cues are in the same league as Durbin cues?

I know that all of this is a matter of personal opinion, but I would just like to know some opinions about this.

There is an Omen cue that I am thinking about trading for a high end Billy Webb cue that I have, and just want to know some opinions about how well known Omen cues are (compared to some of the other well known cue makers).

Thanks

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, you will NEVER go wrong purchasing, trading, ordering etc. an OMEN cue!

I'm working on getting one myself at this very moment!

G.

Thanks Gerry. Has anyone here hit with an older Omen that has an SS 5/16x14 joint on it? Do they hit anything like Schon cues, or comparable to any other cues out there? Thanks.

IMO, you will NEVER go wrong purchasing, trading, ordering etc. an OMEN cue!

I'm working on getting one myself at this very moment!

G.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
As I mentioned in your other post, probably the best, most unique thing about an OMEN is the joint he now uses, the big pin, flat faced joint. The first time you screw one together...you'll know what I mean. I personally would go for that style cue if you're gonna go with an omen.

How well known...? Not as well as he should be, but he don't make many cues, so I think the secret will be guarded for some time. Value wise, EXCELLENT bang for the buck. I like to buy low and sell high. His cues are under-priced for the quality IMO, so I've bought two.

Who knows if the values will rise to the quality, but what I really like, is that you don't see them for sale every five minutes. I think they are special. And, Pete's a great guy.

Hope it helps

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete is a great guy and builds a super cue. I have owned 4 over the last few years. We did a project together three years ago and it came out great.

His cues with the big pin and flat faced joint play great. HIs craftsmanship is top notch and he is honorable. I am sure I will buy another Omen when the opportunity presents itself.

I don't think his cues are in as high demand as the other cue makers you mentioned. This can be seen in the difference in the new cue price and the secondary market. It reminds me of Jensen cues on that front, they play jam up, look great, feel great and should demand more money at resale.

I know where one of my old Omens are right now for sale. PM me for details.

chaozzzsg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry to bump this thread up.

I would like to know if Pete builds his cue in a humidity controlled environment? I am assuming that he does as humidity in Florida is very high compared to the other states.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This

Pete is a great guy and builds a super cue. I have owned 4 over the last few years. We did a project together three years ago and it came out great.

His cues with the big pin and flat faced joint play great. HIs craftsmanship is top notch and he is honorable. I am sure I will buy another Omen when the opportunity presents itself.

I don't think his cues are in as high demand as the other cue makers you mentioned. This can be seen in the difference in the new cue price and the secondary market. It reminds me of Jensen cues on that front, they play jam up, look great, feel great and should demand more money at resale.

I know where one of my old Omens are right now for sale. PM me for details.

I have played with this guys cues. They play very good and even the sneakers seem to play as good as the higher dollar customs. I don't think you could go wrong with one.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second that

I have played with this guys cues. They play very good and even the sneakers seem to play as good as the higher dollar customs. I don't think you could go wrong with one.

I second that ive played with two of Petes sneakys and both played great nice stiff and firm hit. Plus workmanship and the finish was all top notch. I'd highly recommend an Omen cue to any body.

Now that the thread has been bumped, I am real curious what justinb386 has done with his Webb cue....

chaozzzsg- It sounds to me like you need to talk to the cuemaker. I recommend you call or email him. http://www.omencues.com/index.htm

That Spider Webb cue was so beautiful, but I did not like the way it hit, or the taper of the shafts. I know who now has that cue (if he has not sold or traded it within the last 2 years), and I am sure he would give anyone interested an amazing bargain on it. He owns an Arcade, and a trading shop next door that is attached to it (he has a very nice large collection of high end custom cues, and some lower end cues too). His place is in Evansville, and if you are interested to know his contact info, you can send me a PM (not sure if it is good to post that info on the public forum). He is a really cool guy though, and was always nice to me, and gave me many good deals on trades. Anyways, he might still have that Spider Webb cue. It sure was a beauty.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omen

I have a 5/14 - 16 Omen that is awesome! One of the best playing cues that I own. And I have about 30 of them. All custom, and some in the 3k - 4k price range. He also returns messages!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm late for the boat and last man on the bis, but is anyone else " wondering " about the validity of all of Justin's posts?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel bad in a way!!

Maybe I'm late for the boat and last man on the bis, but is anyone else " wondering " about the validity of all of Justin's posts?

This one is old, so I can't say much. Also "I'm wondering" if Justin may just be looking for some attention. I'll be the first to say in NPR I want to discuss but in the main forums I either want to be educated or pass along knowledge I can offer. I honestly have no idea of Justin's endgame, he just seems to want to waste all of our time. Hence my rubberneck comment. At any rate, for some value, I thought I heard that Searing taught Pete quite a bit, I'm thinking I want one of his sneakies. I unloaded my Scruggs and Frey and only have Dufferin cut in two by a local guy who is not a cue builder.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This one is old, so I can't say much. Also "I'm wondering" if Justin may just be looking for some attention. I'll be the first to say in NPR I want to discuss but in the main forums I either want to be educated or pass along knowledge I can offer. I honestly have no idea of Justin's endgame, he just seems to want to waste all of our time. Hence my rubberneck comment. At any rate, for some value, I thought I heard that Searing taught Pete quite a bit, I'm thinking I want one of his sneakies. I unloaded my Scruggs and Frey and only have Dufferin cut in two by a local guy who is not a cue builder.

Yeah man I remember them from your avatar pic and liked both of themy alot. I wastill actually interested in both but by the time I found out they were for sale they were gone - I think they both sold quick as sheet right? And rightly so. Can you disclose what they brought? Far J, I just don't know. I initially thought that was just how he was but now I'm not so sure what to think. A few others mentioned they thought he was a retread, but I couldn't even begin to guess who???

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
to the az crowd newbs not included they are very well known very high quality cue.....to your local 5speed "who is that?"

if you bought a really expensive some nit probably wouldn't give ya a quarter of what its worth....you know like cue racisim stuff lol....if you dont know the maker all cues look alike it may as well come from china.

not that any idoit could possibly mistake a omen for something made in china....

but i've had a ebony 4pt with red black veneers and ivory inlays and steel joint get mistaken for a house cue before so.....ya know.

never heard bad about his cues and i sure never seen one i thought looked bad either. he's put up monsters or the customers put them up for cue of the year....i could swear he made this bright blue veneered cue few years ago that was the stone cold nuts yet not too "modern"

Gary G

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omen

I just went to his shop this past week n bought
a nice set of cues (player&break) . He has a couple
really nice high end cues that he hasn't really shown
off yet but let tell ya they are BEAUTIFUL. Pete is a
very nice guy n his cues play exceptionally well
(do you like broccoli , I don't. Life is all about
personal preference) n I would tell anyone looking
to give him a call. :grin: