How Would You Get Out ?

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please contact Jose Parica in care of West Coast, U S of A:grin:.

I never played good enough to understand why some top players shoot it like this but many do.

Without seeing the video, he may have played that as a slight draw / stun shot with a touch of OE likely. This would avoid having to allow for swerve from his elevated bridging.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Soooo...to summarize the thread, even though we are watching a HOFer, he should of played the 7 three rails (the overall consensus), because if he's reaching for the 8 then he is slightly out of line causing him to continue to be out of line for the 9, BUT because he is a HOFer he gets out anyway ! :grin-square:

Well, if you really want to disagree with what I said, then it stands to reason that from now on you will be shooting it the way he did. Including preferring that shape on the 9 instead of much easier shape.;)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Is that a ten-footer? I can't see why he would have any trouble reaching a cue ball in the middle of the table that's not even past the side pocket.

I think it is a 10 footer, which explains his shot selection.

OLD NINE BALLER LOL :thumbup:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please contact Jose Parica in care of West Coast, U S of A:grin:.

I never played good enough to understand why some top players shoot it like this but many do.

View attachment 363604

View attachment 363605
Thank you.

"If the 7-ball were closer to pocket, then going forward with no inside is an absolute bread-n-butter shot. But, since it's off the pocket by quite a bit, I don't think it's the hanger everyone is saying, else you wouldn't have put it up."

In my opinion, the 7-ball is too far away to make this the hanger that usually comes up. Table conditions will make other shots more feasible.

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set this up and tried the three railer, before the Parica method was posted. I had to really whack it to get it around all three rails, even on fast cloth and rails, and even then I was not falling perfect on the 8. I will have to try the Parica method.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Overcut the seven with 1/2 tip of inside spin, come four around and land the cue ball where the players gut is touching the long rail. Using draw to get shape on the eight in this situation is the wrong route even if your able to get shape that way.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Overcut the seven with 1/2 tip of inside spin, come four around and land the cue ball where the players gut is touching the long rail. Using draw to get shape on the eight in this situation is the wrong route even if your able to get shape that way.
There is no such thing as a wrong route of you are able to get shape.

Comes down to what type of player you are. If you are more comfortable with limited CB travel, and delicate shots then shoot it that way. If you are more comfortable hitting shots firmer with English then shoot it around numerous rails. Either way, if you run this set up out, you shot it the right way.

Island Drive

Silver Member
There is no such thing as a wrong route of you are able to get shape.
Comes down to what type of player you are. If you are more comfortable with limited CB travel, and delicate shots then shoot it that way. If you are more comfortable hitting shots firmer with English then shoot it around numerous rails. Either way, if you run this set up out, you shot it the right way.

Why do you say that....?

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you say that....?
Saying a route is wrong if you gain position is completely contradicting its self. One route may be a lower percentage route for some, but does it make it the wrong route if you gain position? I personally will gain position with draw floating up table, or shooting it the way the pro did, than going around the table. Its only the wrong choice if you don't succeed.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saying a route is wrong if you gain position is completely contradicting its self. One route may be a lower percentage route for some, but does it make it the wrong route if you gain position? I personally will gain position with draw floating up table, or shooting it the way the pro did, than going around the table. Its only the wrong choice if you don't succeed.

It's actually not contradicting itself. Rotation games are a matter of patterns. Repeatable patterns. What makes the draw shot "wrong" is that by taking that choice when there are better choices to make, you are setting up a pattern in your mind.

Then, down the road, when something similar comes up, you will tend to shoot the shot the same way. That is where the "wrongness" comes in. Yes, you may be successful going that way, but you also have a lower percentage of getting out that way than by going several rails around for the eight. More can go wrong with the draw, and eventually it will go wrong more times than the other way.

You want to set in your mind the "correct" patterns, meaning, those patterns that have the least chance of something going wrong.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

On the other hand, I think Maurice Daly was very right when he said that the worst thing for a student to do was to shoot the wrong shot and have it turn out well.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's actually not contradicting itself. Rotation games are a matter of patterns. Repeatable patterns. What makes the draw shot "wrong" is that by taking that choice when there are better choices to make, you are setting up a pattern in your mind.

Then, down the road, when something similar comes up, you will tend to shoot the shot the same way. That is where the "wrongness" comes in. Yes, you may be successful going that way, but you also have a lower percentage of getting out that way than by going several rails around for the eight. More can go wrong with the draw, and eventually it will go wrong more times than the other way.

You want to set in your mind the "correct" patterns, meaning, those patterns that have the least chance of something going wrong.
All I know is the draw shot is the highest percentage shot for myself. Perhaps not for others, but for me it is. So in this instance its the correct shot for me. To say one shot is wrong for everyone is well, wrong.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the two versions of the shot I saw in my head. I only read a few posts in the first page and decided to try... so I don't know what other options were mentioned.

I thought both were about the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8TiJRwLPU4&feature=youtu.be

The video loses some frames, sorry about that.

Below is my setup on the 7 ball. All the balls were marked with doughnuts.

IMG_0197.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
The OP pic, the seven ball was about 1'' + closer to the pocket than this pic.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is the draw shot is the highest percentage shot for myself. Perhaps not for others, but for me it is. So in this instance its the correct shot for me. To say one shot is wrong for everyone is well, wrong.

It's the wrong shot, and if you don't practice the right shot you're just holding yourself back.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought both were about the same.

They are not remotely the same bc of CB direction.

The 3 railer takes speed out of the equation; the one rail w/outside doesn't. You were perfect on the 3 rail shot every time, despite missing the ball on your first try. You failed to get position with the 1 rail shot the first time outright; then questionable shape on the second try, and finally succeeded on your third try...undoubtedly bc you had the two prior shots to gauge the "feel" of the speed.

With the 3 rail position, your CB travels through the acceptable cone of position the entire time after the 3rd cushion.

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member

The 3 railer takes speed out of the equation; the one rail w/outside doesn't. You were perfect on the 3 rail shot every time, despite missing the ball on your first try. You failed to get position with the 1 rail shot the first time outright; then questionable shape on the second try, and finally succeeded on your third try...undoubtedly bc you had the two prior shots to gauge the "feel" of the speed.

With the 3 rail position, your CB travels through the acceptable cone of position the entire time after the 3rd cushion.

This is correct in my opinion. Three rails is way more natural.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, now that you mention that, I think you are correct. I think the 3 rail route was the best. Thanks for watching.

I read the rest of the thread. I shot my floater to mid table with a bit of a high outside hit. I believe some others mentioned using a draw hit. That would certainly get more speed off the 1 rail route.