How would you play this ??

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi folks,

poor Neil always is posting nice situations to think about- so i ll post now also something to think about.
Situation after the 10-Ball Break:

CueTable Help

have fun,

lg
Ingo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Conservative:

Make the 1 and come to the same height as 2/3. Shoot square into the 2, sending the 2 to the opposite short rail while drawing the CB to the short rail on the left.... leaving blocking balls in the way.

Aggressive:

Shoot the 1 with low inside to get to the top rail. Carom the 3 in and knock the 2 to the side, setting up for the low left pocket.

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CueTable Help

This is the safe I would shoot. It breaks out the 2 and 3.(The angle on the 1 ball takes is not correct.)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the best option for the runnout would be to bank the one into the 2 or the 3. Hitting either one should make the one. Put right english on the cb to come over for the two next, or put left draw when shooting the one to come two rails around to the middle of the table.

CueTable Help

CueTable Help

I like this -- banking the 1-ball into the "sideboard" that is the 2-/3-ball, which is almost guaranteed to pocket the 1-ball, assuming you don't hit the 2-ball too full.

BTW Neil, I "fixed" your URLs by substituting the "URL" tags with WEI tags to make sure the table displays in my quote of your post.

-Sean

OPQ

Registered
Bank the one ball 3 rails to the end rail and stop the cueball. That way you only need to control the object ball.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bank the one ball 3 rails to the end rail and stop the cueball. That way you only need to control the object ball.

Exactly. Put the one on the middle diamond at the short rail at the other end of the table. You just need to hit the one firm and stop the cue ball. I'm waiting for a better opportunity. I like your choice.

poolstar31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. Put the one on the middle diamond at the short rail at the other end of the table. You just need to hit the one firm and stop the cue ball. I'm waiting for a better opportunity. I like your choice.

I understand the conservative approach. But consider that the safety will rarely get you a ball in hand against a good player..... even though its not likely.....The opponent Could kick the 1 in, get lucky, and get out. Or hit the 1 and get safe.
Why give the table to the other guy if you have a good chance to get out?
Even if you do get ball in hand, you have to go down table to get the breakout, and the possibility of geting froze to the 3 after the breakout exists OR scratching is alao a possibility.

I like Spidey and Neils shots, depending on the exact angles and table speed. I think If you play it 10 times you will get a chance to get out more than 50% of the time. So, the % say to try to get out from here. IMO

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
i think this is gives the best chance of winning.

CueTable Help

This was my first thought when I read the beginning of the thread.

While I'm curious to see Neils solution played out, and can understand the "why" behind it, I'm not nearly skilled enough to make that shot a reasonable option.

Thanks for the thread, Ingo!

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't really tell by the diagram, but it might be possible to just make the one, spinning the cb over to the rail by the 2-3. Then carom off the two lightly to make the 3 and then the 2 in the opposite corner.

http://pool.bz/P/?@4AAOk3BWBp3CYNw4...VJMm4VAOJ3WYNw3WcQi4kORM4kDIj3kaxr3lbGs3lYFg@

If it's possible to do what you say then this is a no brainer. If the three is not laying for the carom off the two then the score would dictate to me what I would do with the one.
Early in the match I might try the one off the two like you suggested. Late in the match I'm playing safe with the one.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Actually, you are. You just don't realize it yet. Look at the diagram in sfleinlen's post. See the line coming from the center of the one to the two ball? Look closely at where that line starts on the one. Now, just take that spot and move it to the other side of the one, the side nearest the cb. That spot is your aiming point on the one to bank it into the two.

Now, if you use a ton of english, you have to adjust accordingly. But, now you know how to aim the one ball bank into the two!

I'm gonna have my teenage son help me figure out how to print these screenshots so I can take the diagrams to the pool room and try them out. Not just this one, but lot's of them. That will be really valuable. (And my best buddy will like trying them, as well. He's a far better player than I, but I know he will love seeing these and trying them out.)

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand the conservative approach. But consider that the safety will rarely get you a ball in hand against a good player..... even though its not likely.....The opponent Could kick the 1 in, get lucky, and get out. Or hit the 1 and get safe.
Why give the table to the other guy if you have a good chance to get out?
Even if you do get ball in hand, you have to go down table to get the breakout, and the possibility of geting froze to the 3 after the breakout exists OR scratching is alao a possibility.

I like Spidey and Neils shots, depending on the exact angles and table speed. I think If you play it 10 times you will get a chance to get out more than 50% of the time. So, the % say to try to get out from here. IMO

In a close match I would prefer the safe and take my chances with them getting lucky. If the carom on the three off the two is not laying correct then who ever makes the one without a definite plan for the two and three will be the underdog in this game. I'll take my chances even with Efren kicking at the one ball. I'll wait for a higher chance percentage wise than 50/50 or 50/60. I'm not risking a key game with those type of percentages. If I don't have a safety option then I would have to play with these low percentages.

If I get ball in hand that would give me multiply options.

Last edited:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Glad you enjoyed them. Maybe some day you will get on a table and check them out for yourself. Who knows, you might even learn something from them!

What I learned is dont move balls if you dont have to. Yes you could play the one ball off of the 2,3 but is it really nessecary to move them?? Do you really think you have that much control over how their going to roll?? Sure it looks good on the diagrams but sometimes things dont going according to plan. If anything you can make the layout worse and hand the game to your opponent which isnt good
2far.gif

I think the one ball bank safety is a good choice if the angle isnt right to get to the side rail for the carom on the 3 (if available) but if the angle is good and the carom is on you should go for the runout. Play loads of right and hit it soft to float up for the carom..

There's probably 3 or 4 other shots you could shoot here but if you want to play it like a pro then I think you would go with the the safe or carom
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

You can learn what not to do aswell....

Last edited:

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I play the 1 ball straight into the corner and try and land the cueball near the side rail(top from our view) and then play the carom off the 2 making the 3. Looks like it goes to me...