How Would You Shoot The 7?

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im thinking, I didnt get the angle I wanted on the 7 but this is still easy enough.
I know my post seemed like I was having a pop at you, but I wasn't. Just bad post timing. A few have mentioned this route.

If its easy and you can pull it off 10 out of 10 then we should be guessing how you shot racks instead of the pros. Any slight bit of spin, or unintentionally hitting the wrong part of the pocket and you're risking going into the 9, leaving yourself tougher than it should be on the 8 or having no shot at the 8.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You dont have to be SVB or Mika to shoot a draw shot for position in this scenario, even on worn/slow cloth. Why pick a shot that might mess up the layout?
If you think this is a hard shot to play with draw, you need to work on your technique.

This. I initially thought inside and avoid the 9, then I looked at it again and realized that with a good draw, you can easily bring the cb past the side pocket, probably nowhere near it.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I didn't see this possibility suggested...

What about just drawing the cue ball so it's between the 9 and side pocket and on the other side of the centerline from the 8? You have a long-ish shot on the 8 but it would be pretty easy to get from the 8 to the 9.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cloth is new, I look for something other than the one-rail with inside spin. Even with max follow, it looks like the natural line takes you at the 9 or perhaps even a little left of the 9, and new cloth makes it hard to get enough twist off of the rail to straighten it up.

I might play the slow draw with outside as pidge mentioned. Scratch in the side is unlikely, and at the right speed you should have a workable angle on the 8.

Three rails around is not a bad shot either, but again, with this type of tournament conditions (new cloth, polished balls), it is easy to overcut the 7 due to the additional deflection and extra speed you need to get around the table.

Aaron

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is one option that might be available. Hard to tell unless you are at the table.

View attachment 369597
I don't think that shot is on. The angle coming off the 2nd rail will be wider than you've drawn due to the running english, and even if you miss the 9 it'll send the CB in the direction straight to the 8 after rebounding off the 3rd rail, assuming you hit it hard enough. The CB will also have reverse spin coming off the 3rd rail, so it'll check up and may not even make the other side of the 8.

I would probably hit with low-inside and swing the ball 3 rails.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...it is easy to overcut the 7 due to the additional deflection and extra speed you need to get around the table.
When I miss IE three-rail shots, it's almost always because I overcut the OB because of these reasons.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only (viable) shot I haven't seen mentioned is the 2-rail "Z" draw, long/long. If you're halfway dialed in on the table, it's not hard to judge how much outside you need - usually just a smidge.

Aaron

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only shot I haven't seen mentioned is the 2-rail "Z" draw, long/long. If you're halfway dialed in on the table, it's not hard to judge how much outside you need - usually just a smidge.

Aaron

That's the show off way to shot the shot:D

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I miss IE three-rail shots, it's almost always because I overcut the OB because of these reasons.

Yep. I will pound them in all day on my GC with worn cloth and dirty balls, but I might overcut it by a diamond the first time I try it on new, shiny equip.

Aaron

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
1st choice...left draw above the 9 and out
2nd choice...follow with inside down and up
3rd choice...punch with left spin 4 or 5 rails, let the spin carry it out, trying to lay up with 3 rails on this shot you can land short, let the stroke go.
4th choice...would be my last choice. Inside out, right spin under the 9 around the table.
Earl hits the inside out better than anyone

Hard to tell from a picture, its always good if you have more than 1 option
More than one way to skin a cat, everybody does it different.
4 World Champs might play it 4 different ways, as long as those options are available

Last edited:

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High right, hit the short rail and come back down table.

Standard shot.

Agreed. i can't see any draw or left being appropriate here as you would have a real hard time getting position on the 8. Inside on a shot like this always makes pocketing the ball a little tougher, but it seems like the only real option here.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Low left draw all the way.

From the picture, it looks to me like the angle is too great to use low left english to get above the 9 and get decent position on the 8. Any low left that puts you below the 9 leaves no shot on the 8. I can't see that being very successful here.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Bottom inside (right) spin it around 3 maybe 4th rail with a huge margin for position!!

First rail would be in between the 9 ball and corner pocket
My previous post was referring to this answer.

A very nice shot to have in your arsenal.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set this shot up and shot it 5 times on my table. I used 2 o'clock right spin and on each shot got shape below the side pocket about 1-2 diamonds without hitting another rail. Didn't even get close to the banana ball.

Best,
Mike