i need help banking

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start off shooting short easy cross corner banks. Object ball half way between corner pocket and 1st diamond, about a half ball off the rail. It's a half ball hit, tip above center. Don't over think it, just shoot it like that until you get the feel for it. Then create distance and so on. I made that my first quick drill for the day to show you. This was right after my first 2 cups of coffee, I still have the jitters. LOL https://youtu.be/Ezk_YInLxEw

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhGXAxRFVBY

Do any of you touch type? I do...70 wpm...but I could not write the keyboard layout on paper from memory...yet I NEVER look at the keyboard for anything...not even numbers or symbols. It is mapped in my brain...pure muscle memory. THAT is the level you need to get your game to.

btw before I learned how to touch type I topped out at about 30 wpm...that is what learning the diamond system will get for you playing pool. Now I am at 70 wpm, with more accuracy, and my average speed keeps increasing. Another thing is fatigue...you can't sit there racking your brain on every shot. Schmidt said his high runs come when he isn't thinking just shooting.

I you have to "rack your brain" to see the angle in=angle out, you should pick up another sport, or get a pair of glasses that allow you to see clearly. :) Not everyone here has the brain power and muscle memory that you possess so we need all the help we can get from others. :) I touch type as well, and have for years, but it has little to do with banking.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Beard's books a lot and they have great stories in them, however, I feel a lot of the info was written for a different era i.e., when different cloths were the norm.

Tor's Zero-X banking and kicking literally changed my banking game in a quick fashion. That, as well as Brumback's DVD, although JB's material is a little more spectacular, avant-garde stuff.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
after all these years I realize i just bank poorly

is there something that could actually help me
i tend to hit my banks short

also i only play one pocket so i need to bank pocket speed

The easy fix would be to simply add a little outside english.....if you are a little short, that will do the trick. But if you are playing only 1pocket, then it's likely you are more focused on cueball. If you are banking short, you are hitting more of the CB, which means more control and easier to pinpoint CB placement.

My two cents - mix up your games. Play some banks, 8-ball, 9-ball, etc....work on actually playing leave for banks as often as you can......and do the same for your one-pocket. IMHO, mixing up your games and banking like this can turn this into your strength. If you can get as confident making banks as you do short straight in shots, you don't have to play as much defense with the CB.

Good luck.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Diamonds are a banker's best friend.

8ballr

Banned
About 98% of us are NOT professionals, and don't PRETEND to be.:cool:

Do I make a living playing pool? Thankfully not with the way things are today. I will enter the US open and make it to the final table...where I will then play with a broom handle to make a point about the lack of sponsorships.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too many variables involved to rely on any system...same like aiming systems.

Since you are a genius how about posting a 14.1 video of yourself. I'd love to see your game. There is a guy on this site who claims to be an instructor and the only video of him revealed he can't run 3 balls.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Do I make a living playing pool? Thankfully not with the way things are today. I will enter the US open and make it to the final table...where I will then play with a broom handle to make a point about the lack of sponsorships.

I plan to make my debut at the U.S. open....where I will make it to the final table and draw the spot light on how poor the state of sponsorship is in pool today.

can we get rid of him now?

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here is a method you can try. You might already know it, but here goes anyway.

I don't bank very good, so take this with a few grains of salt. It may work better for you.

It is basically a mirror system.
aim your shot at an imaginary pocket 4.5 feet directly across from the pocket you want the ball to go in, you will be aiming to a point that far away from the pool table. Hit it with whatever spin you desire, as hard or soft as you like, but make sure to pocket the ball in the imaginary pocket.

If it is a full table length bank, you are now aiming at a point 9 feet away from the pool table. This method works with all bank shots.., but only as good as a person can imagine that imaginary pocket, and hit it with the exact speed and spin, etc.

Best of luck
steven

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The most pool 8Ballr plays is on his keyboard with his 70 wpm skills.

I you have to "rack your brain" to see the angle in=angle out, you should pick up another sport, or get a pair of glasses that allow you to see clearly. :) Not everyone here has the brain power and muscle memory that you possess so we need all the help we can get from others. :) I touch type as well, and have for years, but it has little to do with banking.

8ballr

Banned

That was in referrence to John schmidt...saying his high runs come when he is just shooting loose...not trying to be perfect. I can nail a 3 railer before you even start your plus 2 calculations or whatever system you are using lol.

The most pool 8Ballr plays is on his keyboard with his 70 wpm skills.

https://youtu.be/xNi04y7bfFc?t=16m39s

Let's see you guys do it...at least BRAGS backed it up.

"About a minute ago it was like an evening at the Apollo up in this mother****er, now all of a sudden it's quiet as a church."

Last edited:

8ballr

Banned
Bragg's didn't

Ok sure...we'll ignore the fact he was robbed by a gc...with a shot that was pocket speed...on old cloth...and the fact that he had a go pro flopping on his head preventing him from getting down on the shot properly...fine.

Let's see one of you guys do it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
No one challenged him

And he still didn't do it

What , did the ball shoot itself ?
Your quite invested in the matter aren't you