I phone break ap

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tested this app against a real device made for speed testing, in almost all cases the two measurement were off by at least 10%, sometimes way more. So not sure how accurate this is, at least in a real pool room as opposed to a quiet house table.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm consistently around 24.5 mph +- 1 mph for my normal 9 ball break and I feel I can hit that speed with a good amount of CB control. I definitely hit them slower based on the table and will use a cut break or medium speed break if it means balls are dropping at that speed.

I have yet to get up past 26 - I think I'm still trying to maintain control when I'm measuring, I think if I just went after it I could squeeze a few extra mph out of it. Definitely takes coordinated movements that are well timed to get up around 30...
Scott

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
I remember when I first read about this app about a year ago... I downloaded it and let me pool team try it out during one of our practice sessions. I was excited. I learned about it from a video on youtube where the guy was consistantly breaking at 35mph. He had a monster break and the video was about him trying to teach people how to crush a rack. It was a good video.

So my team used it multiple times and most of us were between 18-22. I stuck right around 18-19 for every break. One guy did top out at 25 on numerous occasions. The funny thing is though.... my break was almost always the best...

Why? CUE BALL CONTROL! People want to crush the rack as hard as they can but they don't give a damn about controlling whitey. I smack the rack and almost always bring the ball back to center table. I would way that 75-80% of the time I'm dropping a ball in 8-ball and I've got from the center of the table and out to work with. I consider this pretty decent stats. Especially when everyone else on the team was more like 50%. In 9-ball, I'm droping a ball 85-90% of the time and I typically break softer, 16-17mph. But, I still always control the cue ball. It's funny when I hear my teammates wonder why I'm so difficult to beat in 9-ball or even 8-ball.

So much of the game relies on starting off on the right foot. Don't put yourself in a hole by getting out of control early and only worrying about how fast you hit the damn rack!