I used to be better, but I haven’t played in a while.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop saying this, please.

Start saying,

“I am only as good as I am right now.”

LOL
Or "I have not played for a while", then they run 2 racks.

Almost every one that I have seen said that had beginner mechanics and shot making as they are talking about paying for college with pool.

I'm going to be 52 and I am playing as good as I ever have before, probably better. Having a kid that is a level over you will do that, gotta try to keep up a bit so he is not teasing me so much about being able to beat me.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you know how good you are right now….this might be the time you don’t miss till they pry your fingers off the rails.

So true! Performance fluctuates. Sometimes a 600 player will play like a 700, yet other times he/she might play like a 500.

Most of the time we play our average game, sometimes better, sometimes worse. It's called regression to the mean, and everyone has to deal with it when it comes to performance.

So when someone asks, "How good are you?", the best reply might be... "Rack 'em and let's find out."

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm better than I was back then but I wish I had the natural care free play style I did back then. Sometimes not knowing what you don't know isn't a bad thing.
I used to just freewheel and would only play dogs. Over the years I had opportunity to work a lot of things out and did. Walked away from the larceny - not for tougher action but to really work on the pool. Didn't look back. That made the biggest difference. No bravado just competence.
Now though, especially with pool bombing, I miss playing. I'd kick but if there was butt to kick. :ROFLMAO:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alot of guys say this and they always sucked, sometimes you know they always sucked because you've known them for a while,
that gets annoying

the statement holds true for alot of guys though
At 66, I can have a hot night or more likely 1-2 hot sets and play like I did decades ago, but the overall consistent level of play is just not there.

I find I have to rely much more on my safety play to win, which likely is at least as good if not better than it ever was.

The safety / defensive game was not yet a well accepted strategy 40+ years ago in 8-ball or 9-ball, plus most younger players (including myself back then) generally played and still play way more aggressively with no fear of missing.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hustled my way through college ... but did not got to college. But I was better then. But haven't practiced....Therefor I should have stayed in school. I should practiced more ...so I'm only as good as I am now. I said it. HAPPY NOW?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For me it's "I play so poorly now that I wonder whether I imagined having once been a good player."

Father time is undefeated.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
For artistic pool shots I have fun with how much time it takes to set up. The struggle from reading those primitive diagrams to developing the technique. Now I can just feel a table.

For competition pool I experienced the discipline of organized sports. The best memories were the shots that had the biggest reaction from an opponent.