In the kitchen and confused

BillinJersey

Registered
What is my best shot when faced with the following situation:
There are 2 balls left on the table, both of which are in the kitchen. My opponent shoots at one of them, misses, and pockets the cue ball. Both object balls are still in the kitchen. I then have ball in hand in the kitchen, but neither ball can be pocketed easily by first having to go down to the foot rail and back up table because they are near the head rail and away from the corner pockets. (which is my only option since I'm not allowed to shoot at them directly,right?) Btw, is there a rule number in the world rules that addresses this?
Anyway, I think my only 2 options are to either leave the cue down at the foot rail and hope my opponent can't come up with a bank/safe; OR
send the cue ball directly into the side or lower corner pockets, take the minus 1, which would leave my opponent with ball in hand in the kitchen. That would mean he's one foul ahead of me and he would get to 3 fouls first if the intentional fouls continued.
When I first realized I was in the kitchen with no shot, I thought to myself that my opponent is the one who scratched, but I was the one being "penalized". I even thought about doing the same to him the next chance I got, but I guess it isn't a good move to make on your opponent, unless they don't know the rules that well, and they think they must try a long shot off the foot rail at one of the balls. Do I have this about right? Thanks.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the foul and let him figure it out. That way he gets penalized for making the first foul by having to either make a kick safe or shot or getting to three fouls first. Intentionally fouling after your opponent has fouled is often the best move. Why should you have to make the miracle shot.