Initial team usa squad is named for mosconi cup xxv

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup woofing is getting heated up now between the players.

They posted the Euro Rankings on the Matchroom facebook page and SVB made a post challenging them all to a gambling match lol

And Kaci made a reply that he would play anybody on team USA but Shane lol

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but why is it? having done 3 of those bootcamps myself only as an Amateur but with Johann and Alex....I am familiar with the concept....

do they feel they have
- nothing to learn?
- demeaning/waste of time to do exercises
- too costly?

to me....as an Amateur....the first step would be "yeah we are not performing at the same Level as EU at the Moment....why is that?" identify why....and go from there...
if I feel I am being beaten continuously....I would like to know why....and then try to improve that aspect of the game...whether it is the physical or mental side of the game...

Personally I get the feeling (not that it is worth anything) some People are not willing to commit to change even if it stares them in the face...US is the Underdog going into Mosconi at the Moment...that means something HAS TO change.....the problem is that even when most people actually do not resist change....they resist being changed. Could this be a factor? "We don't need no stinking yuuropeeean to tell us how to play our game!"?

just asking....

To answer your question, first off, was the training you attended called a "boot camp"? And right off the bat I'd suggest that you attending whatever it was called, as an amateur, is an entirely different thing than for an elite pro player.

in any case I can't speak for anyone. I was just postulating that calling the sessions "boot camps" was a negative. The connotation of that moniker being that you had to submit yourself to participating in some entry level grunt work. Now, maybe for me, or any player that is an average or even above average, that's OK and an opportunity to attend a boot camp is a positive. But what about the players at the top of the pile? The very best guys out there? How on God's good green Simonis covered earth can you ask them to submit to a boot camp? Would you ask Rory or Rickie or Tiger or Phil to attend a "boot camp" before being allowed on a Ryder Cup team?

Lou Figueroa

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your question, first off, was the training you attended called a "boot camp"? And right off the bat I'd suggest that you attending whatever it was called, as an amateur, is an entirely different thing than for an elite pro player.

in any case I can't speak for anyone. I was just postulating that calling the sessions "boot camps" was a negative. The connotation of that moniker being that you had to submit yourself to participating in some entry level grunt work. Now, maybe for me, or any player that is an average or even above average, that's OK and an opportunity to attend a boot camp is a positive. But what about the players at the top of the pile? The very best guys out there? How on God's good green Simonis covered earth can you ask them to submit to a boot camp? Would you ask Rory or Rickie or Tiger or Phil to attend a "boot camp" before being allowed on a Ryder Cup team?

Lou Figueroa

You reckon the difference might be that those guys aint gettin their ass whupped year after year at the Ryder cup like our mosconi teams are ?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You reckon the difference might be that those guys aint gettin their ass whupped year after year at the Ryder cup like our mosconi teams are ?

I reckon that that issue is immaterial and that there would still be enough ego and pride that the PGA wouldn't dream of ever asking it, whuppin' or not.

Lou Figueroa
particulerly if the USA
had a European coach

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I reckon that that issue is immaterial and that there would still be enough ego and pride that the PGA wouldn't dream of ever asking it, whuppin' or not.

Lou Figueroa
particulerly if the USA
had a European coach

I dont keep up with golf much but as I understand it....most pros have coaches. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't tiger struggle for a while and went back to get help from his old coach.

Taking the coaching analogy a lil farther. There are batting coaches for base ball pros. Strengthening coaches .... Position coaches for football and base ball pros

I dont know of any U S pool pro that has a coach. Maybe its just pool pros that have the ego you speak of ?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

You can be offended by the name or you can improve and get that extra 10k each year. Oh yeah, and quit having the WORLD laugh at your performance(lack of).

Guess some people would rather be laughed at.
Jason

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
I was pretty much the only amateur there actually... There was nick vd berg, Stephan Cohen, serge das and a couple of more international level players there... Doing stuff at different level. It was called boot camp as well...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont keep up with golf much but as I understand it....most pros have coaches. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't tiger struggle for a while and went back to get help from his old coach.

Taking the coaching analogy a lil farther. There are batting coaches for base ball pros. Strengthening coaches .... Position coaches for football and base ball pros

I dont know of any U S pool pro that has a coach. Maybe its just pool pros that have the ego you speak of ?

I don't know that much about golf but my understanding is that many golf pros do have personal coaches and physical trainers.

But a personal coach you've hand picked and hired isn't quite the same as being required to attend a boot camp and I think some (many?) guys would bristle at being compelled to participate. I mean, how often do you hear of an American pro seeking out even private coaching/instruction?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can be offended by the name or you can improve and get that extra 10k each year. Oh yeah, and quit having the WORLD laugh at your performance(lack of).

Guess some people would rather be laughed at.
Jason

Attending a boot camp is no guarantee of improvement (depending on the individual it could actually screw up their mechanics) and certainly no guarantee of success in beating the Europeans and pocketing that extra $10K.

So the world may just continue to chuckle whether you attend or not.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was pretty much the only amateur there actually... There was nick vd berg, Stephan Cohen, serge das and a couple of more international level players there... Doing stuff at different level. It was called boot camp as well...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I don't know.... maybe boot camp means something different to Europeans. To me, in terms of professional players, it sounds somewhat demeaning.

Lou Figueroa

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know.... maybe boot camp means something different to Europeans. To me, in terms of professional players, it sounds somewhat demeaning.

Lou Figueroa

Would it soothe your ego if it was called....mosconi format training seminar ?

Which is more demeaning ? going to a training seminar labeled a boot camp or getting your ass whupped year after year ?

I dunno.....svb must have realized there may be something to this boot camp since he changed his mind and decided to attend them.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Attending a boot camp is no guarantee of improvement (depending on the individual it could actually screw up their mechanics) and certainly no guarantee of success in beating the Europeans and pocketing that extra $10K.

So the world may just continue to chuckle whether you attend or not.

Lou Figueroa

No cents in trying then
Yes ^^^^^^ intended.
Jason

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it soothe your ego if it was called....mosconi format training seminar ?

Which is more demeaning ? going to a training seminar labeled a boot camp or getting your ass whupped year after year ?

I dunno.....svb must have realized there may be something to this boot camp since he changed his mind and decided to attend them.

My ego is not involved — I’ve paid for lessons (literally and figuratively).

Maybe what SVB figured was that what was in it for him was playing in the MC and not much else.

Lou Figueroa
hope they covered
how to break

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A boot camp or advanced training seminar or whatever you want to call it may or may not be that helpful for the Team USA players. I'd suggest they also need a psychological/motivational coach as well, and maybe even more so. JMHO as always.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
My ego is not involved — I’ve paid for lessons (literally and figuratively).

Maybe what SVB figured was that what was in it for him was playing in the MC and not much else.

Lou Figueroa
hope they covered
how to break

They should spend 2 weeks on Lagging alone.
Jason

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
A boot camp or advanced training seminar or whatever you want to call it may or may not be that helpful for the Team USA players. I'd suggest they also need a psychological/motivational coach as well, and maybe even more so. JMHO as always.

The right boot camp would have taken place in February, and the coaches would have told each player what they were expected to work on and which skills needed further development. Those failing to improve the indicated skills should be eliminated from consideration for the team.

Boot camp in August is too late and won't accomplish nearly as much.

I'm inclined to disagree with you here, Jay. I think the skills gap is so large that training is the only solution and if the skills gap were filled, I'm not convinced mental game coaching would be terribly important. Unfortunately, addressing the skills gap might take years until players are held fully accountable for their development.

Year after year, our team shows up with the same weaknesses in both conceptualization and execution. No amount of motivational coaching will fix that.