Install disaster yesterday...I want to give up

realkingcobra

Silver Member
GC4 pocket liners on a GC1, they were not trimed, i just mounted them correctly. And those are 4" corners and 4 1/2" sides.

received_1229320247123298_1024x1024.jpeg

received_1229320413789948_1024x1024.jpeg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Gold Crown IV was installed yesterday and it can't be played on it until I repair the poor work done on it. I thought I was going to have my brother over tonight and play some pool. I don't have the desire to fix this right now. I've spent a lot of money to have a great playing pool table. Here's the story...

I think I do everything right. I buy a very nice GC IV that has never seen commercial use. I've got to take it apart and get it out of this guys basement. I dismantle the table and find all but 2 of the the slate frame bolts have been cross threaded. I buy all new hardware and retap the captured nuts in the frame. I reinforce the frame to prevent corner sag. I send the rails to Mark Gregory for new Superspeeds and pro cut pockets. I get the correct ball box, ball return track, and gully boots to convert it from drop pockets. I purchase a Centennial ball set and Delta 13 rack. I think I'm ready to go. I'm not using the guy that installed the table originally. I'm hesitant about him after I see what he did to the frame bolts. I've got an install guy based on a strong recommendation from a room owner. I should have talked to the original guy and voiced my concerns.

Now to the install. I'll preface that i can be a perfectionist and typically I do nice work. I talked to the guy and specifically told him what I had. The guy and his helper shows up. I tell him there's a well stocked hardware store less than a half mile away in case he needs anything. I have already built and placed the base. The slate frame is already built. The rails are ready to go and covered by Mark. I have everything neatly placed and orderly. This guy can clearly see this isn't some $999 homeowner special from the local game store. One guy works on the slate and cloth. The other assembles the rails, corner castings and blinds. I notice the rails clearly marked F for foot seem to be opposite of where they should be. They say iy doesn't matter. They at least have the rails assemble as numbered by Mark. When the cloth is going on I question in my head if it's going on correctly and think the guy's a little sloppy with his cuts at the pocket openings. The cloth is on and now they're installing the ball return track. The guy refuses to go to the hardware store and uses any miscellaneous hardware he has. I think in my head wtf and wouldn't it be better to get the rails and boots set first? Now they place the rails and install the gully boots. They clearly don't look right due to the rail extensions.The guy is fine with it and looks easily corrected with some trimming with a razor knife. I mean I already had a large portion of the table assembled for them. I decide I should do this because I'm afraid of what the boots will look like after they do it. they attach the boots and leave them as is. Now it's time to put the ball box in. More whatever hardware they can find and relocation of the hidden brackets. Claims all of them are don this way. They're really hard to assemble where they are at. Now it's time to try out the table. Ball return doesn't work.The balls are getting caught under the side pocket gully boots. I'm done with these guys at this point. I tell them I'll fix it, pay them and they leave. I'm ****ing aggravated but I have to go to the eye doctor and then out with my wife. I don't have time to really look at the table.

I return home for the evening and first thing I notice is a smudge of what looks like grease or maybe chocolate. The table hasn't even had a rack played on it and it's stained. There's no way you would have not known you did that. Then the pocket openings aren't centered on the side pockets(I might be overly critical, maybe not). Then they leave a mess. I cant really use the table until I fix the return and get the box installed a little better. I'm about to give up on my pool table dream. Seems nearly impossible to find someone who takes pride in what they do.
My first impression is you should have spent as much time researching the very best installer you could get regardless of price, even if he wasn't local, as you did with all your other preparatory work, to make absolutely sure you'd have your dream table when the installation was finished. Table owners just don't realize that regardless of the quality of the table, it will only play as good as the installer who sets it up.

My second thought was you shouldn't have paid them if you weren't happy with the work!

My advice now is to get the best installer you possibly can to come fix it right - even if it requires biting the bullet and spending another $200+ on new bed cloth, even if it requires getting someone really good from out of your area, even if it requires waiting a number of weeks until they can do it - very good installers are in high demand, and even it requires whatever $$ that installer will charge you for the job. Anything less, you just won't be happy with your dream table! Good luck!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Gold Crown IV was installed yesterday and it can't be played on it until I repair the poor work done on it. I thought I was going to have my brother over tonight and play some pool. I don't have the desire to fix this right now. I've spent a lot of money to have a great playing pool table. Here's the story...

I think I do everything right. I buy a very nice GC IV that has never seen commercial use. I've got to take it apart and get it out of this guys basement. I dismantle the table and find all but 2 of the the slate frame bolts have been cross threaded. I buy all new hardware and retap the captured nuts in the frame. I reinforce the frame to prevent corner sag. I send the rails to Mark Gregory for new Superspeeds and pro cut pockets. I get the correct ball box, ball return track, and gully boots to convert it from drop pockets. I purchase a Centennial ball set and Delta 13 rack. I think I'm ready to go. I'm not using the guy that installed the table originally. I'm hesitant about him after I see what he did to the frame bolts. I've got an install guy based on a strong recommendation from a room owner. I should have talked to the original guy and voiced my concerns.

Now to the install. I'll preface that i can be a perfectionist and typically I do nice work. I talked to the guy and specifically told him what I had. The guy and his helper shows up. I tell him there's a well stocked hardware store less than a half mile away in case he needs anything. I have already built and placed the base. The slate frame is already built. The rails are ready to go and covered by Mark. I have everything neatly placed and orderly. This guy can clearly see this isn't some $999 homeowner special from the local game store. One guy works on the slate and cloth. The other assembles the rails, corner castings and blinds. I notice the rails clearly marked F for foot seem to be opposite of where they should be. They say iy doesn't matter. They at least have the rails assemble as numbered by Mark. When the cloth is going on I question in my head if it's going on correctly and think the guy's a little sloppy with his cuts at the pocket openings. The cloth is on and now they're installing the ball return track. The guy refuses to go to the hardware store and uses any miscellaneous hardware he has. I think in my head wtf and wouldn't it be better to get the rails and boots set first? Now they place the rails and install the gully boots. They clearly don't look right due to the rail extensions.The guy is fine with it and looks easily corrected with some trimming with a razor knife. I mean I already had a large portion of the table assembled for them. I decide I should do this because I'm afraid of what the boots will look like after they do it. they attach the boots and leave them as is. Now it's time to put the ball box in. More whatever hardware they can find and relocation of the hidden brackets. Claims all of them are don this way. They're really hard to assemble where they are at. Now it's time to try out the table. Ball return doesn't work.The balls are getting caught under the side pocket gully boots. I'm done with these guys at this point. I tell them I'll fix it, pay them and they leave. I'm ****ing aggravated but I have to go to the eye doctor and then out with my wife. I don't have time to really look at the table.

I return home for the evening and first thing I notice is a smudge of what looks like grease or maybe chocolate. The table hasn't even had a rack played on it and it's stained. There's no way you would have not known you did that. Then the pocket openings aren't centered on the side pockets(I might be overly critical, maybe not). Then they leave a mess. I cant really use the table until I fix the return and get the box installed a little better. I'm about to give up on my pool table dream. Seems nearly impossible to find someone who takes pride in what they do.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Suffice to say I think we've all been there before at one time or another. In my first poolroom I had all GCI's and the guy I got to recover the tables couldn't even put the plastic aprons back in place properly. He left the rails covered with the old cloth and only redid the bed of the tables. They played okay but it looked a little funny. Some of the pockets had the proper hex bolts in them and some had screws instead, due to a shortage of hex bolts.

Needless to say I fired the guy after the job was over and that's the last time I worked on my own tables. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Suffice to say I think we've all been there before at one time or another. In my first poolroom I had all GCI's and the guy I got to recover the tables couldn't even put the plastic aprons back in place properly. He left the rails covered with the old cloth and only redid the bed of the tables. They played okay but it looked a little funny. Some of the pockets had the proper hex bolts in them and some had screws instead, due to a shortage of hex bolts.

Needless to say I fired the guy after the job was over and that's the last time I worked on my own tables. :rolleyes:
Funny story - at the BCA Junior Nationals roughly 10+ years ago, hosted by a university poolroom in the midwest with 20+ tables, the Simonis cloth provided to the BCA for the event was installed upsidedown by the installers. There was not time nor cloth to correct the problem, so the BCA Junior Nationals Championship was played in its entirety with upsidedown Simonis cloth. Funny, because unlike many other cloths, there is a huge difference between the up and down side of Simonis cloth.

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used a guy that does the best pool halls in my area and travels all around Texas.
He charged a premium and corrected a lot of issues with my original hackjob install, but I found out later that he left crusty glue spots on top of all the rails. It's very hard to find a really professional installer.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it too late to stop payment on the check? If you use the credit card call them they are surprisingly helpful to their customers.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first impression is you should have spent as much time researching the very best installer you could get regardless of price, even if he wasn't local, as you did with all your other preparatory work, to make absolutely sure you'd have your dream table when the installation was finished. Table owners just don't realize that regardless of the quality of the table, it will only play as good as the installer who sets it up.

My second thought was you shouldn't have paid them if you weren't happy with the work!

My advice now is to get the best installer you possibly can to come fix it right - even if it requires biting the bullet and spending another $200+ on new bed cloth, even if it requires getting someone really good from out of your area, even if it requires waiting a number of weeks until they can do it - very good installers are in high demand, and even it requires whatever $$ that installer will charge you for the job. Anything less, you just won't be happy with your dream table! Good luck!

I did consider this. He came with a strong recommendation from a former room owner.I should have given it more thought considering other factors. In retrospect I should have called the guy who had jacked up the table originally and had a talk with him. He's pretty well regarded around here. There were other factors that could have contributed to the poor assembly procedures but still doesn't take away the fact that it still was for a paying customer.

I have no idea who is really qualified, I pm'd RKC to see his schedule and got no response and I believe this was before the accident. He's highly regarded but yet we have someone on this thread unhappy with him. I got a strong recommendation for the guy I used. After pulling that ball box off myself I cant even imagine that you would remove the mounting brackets from the inside of the ball box and mount them on the outside of the ball box. I mean there's pre-drilled holes for it on the panel it attaches to. The guy would rather put his name on work like that than go to a hardware store less than a half mile away. I got strong recommendations for the guy that installed the table. Who cross threads 1/2" course threaded bolts? That's 6 of 8.
DSCN1023.jpg

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bite the bullett

If you want quality work,you pay to get the best
if not you pay the price of regret

what you are going through is not that unusual

call mark gregory

perfect pocketz

describe the condition of the table

realize you are talking to the best

it will seem like too much,but its not

he is earning his money and you will be happy by the time its perfect

770 548 4292

i am a satisfied customer
i tried getting locals to put a table in my house,it never was right

not level ,wrong angles on the pockets,banks come up short

i would have been happy if all got was dirty felt and a little glue

believe me it can get worse and you might find out the hard way

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
bite the bullett

if you want quality work,you pay to get the best
if not you pay the price of regret

what you are going through is not that unusual

call mark gregory

perfect pocketz

describe the condition of the table

realize you are talking to the best

it will seem like too much,but its not

he is earning his money and you will be happy by the time its perfect

770 548 4292

i am a satisfied customer
i tried getting locals to put a table in my house,it never was right

not level ,wrong angles on the pockets,banks come up short

i would have been happy if all got was dirty felt and a little glue

believe me it can get worse and you might find out the hard way

mark did the rails, no problems there....... the installer hacked the installation.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mark did the rails, no problems there....... the installer hacked the installation.
Just seems strange he'd spend the money to get Mark to do the rails, and all the other meticulous preparations he did to make sure everything would be perfect, then hire an installer to do the installation based on a recommendation from a room proprietor. Clearly the poolroom proprietor has lower standards than this gentlemen needed - too bad.

Most table owners are completely ignorant of what's involved in setting up a table, so it's a pretty low bar for most installers / mechanics to satisfy. Obviously this was not the case here, where the owner sounds like he's quite the perfectionist, and likely has more knowledge and far higher expectations than the installers anticipated.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Problem solved....Trent will be in my neck of the woods and will be making a stop at my house to put new cloth on the bed and correct any problems.

On another note I find I don't mind the drop pockets. Still going to reinstall the ball return though.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Problem solved....Trent will be in my neck of the woods and will be making a stop at my house to put new cloth on the bed and correct any problems.

On another note I find I don't mind the drop pockets. Still going to reinstall the ball return though.

This is good news. You'll have a great playing table when finished....Don't forget to call the hacker and thank him. Iv'e been through this....A bad job leads us to a quality installer.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I did consider this. He came with a strong recommendation from a former room owner.I should have given it more thought considering other factors. In retrospect I should have called the guy who had jacked up the table originally and had a talk with him. He's pretty well regarded around here. There were other factors that could have contributed to the poor assembly procedures but still doesn't take away the fact that it still was for a paying customer.

I have no idea who is really qualified, I pm'd RKC to see his schedule and got no response and I believe this was before the accident. He's highly regarded but yet we have someone on this thread unhappy with him. I got a strong recommendation for the guy I used. After pulling that ball box off myself I cant even imagine that you would remove the mounting brackets from the inside of the ball box and mount them on the outside of the ball box. I mean there's pre-drilled holes for it on the panel it attaches to. The guy would rather put his name on work like that than go to a hardware store less than a half mile away. I got strong recommendations for the guy that installed the table. Who cross threads 1/2" course threaded bolts? That's 6 of 8.
View attachment 479964

It's not cost effective to drive out from WA to IL to set up a pool table, sorry as it would cost more than you paid for your pool table. As far as prople not getting ong with me on AZB, that's pretty much normal, but it has nothing to do with my quality of work.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
It's not cost effective to drive out from WA to IL to set up a pool table, sorry as it would cost more than you paid for your pool table. As far as prople not getting ong with me on AZB, that's pretty much normal, but it has nothing to do with my quality of work.

RKC is the best and if you can get him to come, it will be worth the time and money! I learned this in life: not everyone is going to like you, thats ok, you should still treat them with respect. It goes a long way.

Trent