Instructional Path For New Players

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best way to teach a new player? My kids (12 & 15) are to the point they are both interested and my table should be up and running in a month or so (hopefully sooner). I do not want them to pick up on any bad habits I might have or I'd just start out teaching them what I know and go from there. I also plan on picking up some books and videos to help them as well as myself.

My goal is to start them off right and hopefully learn a few things myself.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RG

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would let them hit balls for a while, with you showing them some basic fundamentals...not to in depth of course, but basic stance and aiming etc. Don't jump head long into throw squirt and other advanced techniques until they can make a few balls. The reason I would not start with books/videos is because most things wouldn't make sense to them. But if they have a grasp on it, it will be easier for them to pick up on things. Let them have fun for awhile, you don't wanna burn them out with things they wont understand.

I am no expert, nor an instructor, and no, i didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Last edited:

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your answer (thanks). Actually it resembles the way we have been bringing them up and so far it's working. They are both exceptional kids, both in and out of school. We have never pushed them other than asking them to see things through to completion. If they finish their task/journey and do not think it is something they want to pursue further that's fine with me. I think the main thing in learning something new is to have fun. Maybe I should get the books/videos and pass on the knowledge as I see fit.

Thanks again,
RG

Big_H515

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when they begin to find interest in it, they will start asking more indepth questions..at which point you could say here, read or watch this. instead of giving it to them as you see fit.

people are different in what helps them learn, but i like to do/try first, then research afterword going back to the task and doing it again. If I have a concept of what I am reading, than it is easier for me to relate to the do portion.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hussa :)

right on the beginning it s important to teach good fundamentals-
Stance
alignment
Stroke

get the DVD from RandyG and Scott Lee- very good for Beginners! Also the DVD from PAT 1 is very nice (german- but you can choose english commentary)

But what is most important-let them have fun, too :)

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Very good

I would let them hit balls for a while, with you showing them some basic fundamentals...not to in depth of course, but basic stance and aiming etc. Don't jump head long into throw squirt and other advanced techniques until they can make a few balls. The reason I would not start with books/videos is because most things wouldn't make sense to them. But if they have a grasp on it, it will be easier for them to pick up on things. Let them have fun for awhile, you don't wanna burn them out with things they wont understand.

I am no expert, nor an instructor, and no, i didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night.

Very good points of view. I totally agree with you. Let them take small steps first

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
What is the best way to teach a new player? My kids (12 & 15) are to the point they are both interested and my table should be up and running in a month or so (hopefully sooner). I do not want them to pick up on any bad habits I might have or I'd just start out teaching them what I know and go from there. I also plan on picking up some books and videos to help them as well as myself.

Thanks,
RG

Why not find an instructor who will work with all 3 of you? Make it a family affair getting lessons. I have done this quite often. One big advantage is as you complete different lessons, all of you are on the same page and working on the same things. Practice becomes a time to help one another. It can be a great family project.

Steve

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Why not find an instructor who will work with all 3 of you? Make it a family affair getting lessons. I have done this quite often. One big advantage is as you complete different lessons, all of you are on the same page and working on the same things. Practice becomes a time to help one another. It can be a great family project.

Steve

thats a really cool idea especially the fact that it would be a family event.

Green to you brother!

Grey Ghost

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

Steve

For sure that would be the best idea :thumbup:

Schlosser Cases

Schlosser Cases
Silver Member
Mike Fieldhammer is very good instructor. He could help you out. Check out his web site. Billiard coach. Hope this helps.

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch pros on video and get lessons from a real instructor. Keep doing that and before too long, you will become fairly skilled in no time. It is unbelievable how much kids pick up just by watching and imitating. Kids learn so many of the small things from observing their parents... especially the things we don't want them to learn! Your kids will just sit there in awe watching Earl stroke balls in, and I can just imagine the bond you will form with your children over the years spent hanging out together learning the game. You are a great father. I wish you and your kids the best.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instructions

Thanks,
RG

Hi,
I"ve been teaching people how to play for a very long time. In my experience , with pool , as in life, things are learned by watching others do and then repeating. Repetition seems to be the key, but not without focus. Focus is there only with passion or a motive of some kind. Passion is the secret to becoming great, but who knows if the person has that on his / her agenda. Maybe they just don't want to be embarassed or look bad at the table in front of their friends. I like to watch someone, ask them questions about how much time they have, their goals, etc. And then I might give them corrections in their fundamentals first , before I'd give them playing lessons. Any sport requires good fundamentals. Of course there are always exceptions, some people practice so much they overcome bad habits and learn to succeed anyway. A good and compassionate, sensitive, smart, coach would be a big help, BUT only with the right student.
Hope this helps, PM me if you want to know more I'll be glad to answer any questions. I learned by watching great players and then by playing straight pool, then nineball, but One Pocket is my passion and has been for forty plus years.
JerseyBill

Last edited:

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
instruction

Watch pros on video and get lessons from a real instructor. Keep doing that and before too long, you will become fairly skilled in no time. It is unbelievable how much kids pick up just by watching and imitating. Kids learn so many of the small things from observing their parents... especially the things we don't want them to learn! Your kids will just sit there in awe watching Earl stroke balls in, and I can just imagine the bond you will form with your children over the years spent hanging out together learning the game. You are a great father. I wish you and your kids the best.

Very True,
What you say is how I learned to some degree and it's how I developed a passion for the game, by watching great players play.
Bill

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the additional information gentlemen. I think I have a good initial starting point now. I'll make sure the fundamentals get the attention they deserve and will take the rest one step at a time. As long as we keep it fun, it should be a nice rewarding journey for us all.

RG

P.S. Bill, I may just take you up on that advice thing after we get going. It sounds like you have a wealth of information that needs pickin' :D.

Cheers

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ratta...Just FYI, Play Better Pool can benefit ANY skill level...not just beginners! I know you mean well...and you're right, it's one of the best "learning" dvds out there! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Hussa :)

right on the beginning it s important to teach good fundamentals-
Stance
alignment
Stroke

get the DVD from RandyG and Scott Lee- very good for Beginners!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great advice!

To MN Kid...Mike Fieldhammer is a fine instructor. Also, I'll be in Minnesota the end of the first week of May. If you're interested, PM me and we can discuss your needs and desires. Also, the Play Better Pool dvds are available on the internet, and from me. For an AzB discount, PM me.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Steve

Last edited:

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Scott. If your around this summer, I might give you a call. I'll keep Mike in mind as well.

Cheers
RG

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
please see my post in the following link.. but basically, buy the book I recommend. The mental game is absolutely essential to being a good player, and if you start practicing your mental game the right way NOW you are going to improve very rapidly and have a huge edge in the long run. I cannot overemphasize this enough, seriously. Get this frickin book.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2363688&postcount=13