Instructor or training material for pattern play improvement

wetwilly58

Registered
Hi AZBers,

2 questions here:

1) Does anyone have recommendations for an instructor who specializes in teaching pattern play? I've worked with Randy G on fundamentals in the past (awesome experience, btw) and now I'm looking to fine tune my pattern game which seems to stab me in the back often.

2) Best drills / training materials for pattern play?

wetwilly58

Registered
Thank you, Scott and Mike for the feedback! Randy is def on the top of my list. The purpose of this post was to get some feedback from the community in regards to some of the other instructors out there. I was curious if anyone had an established reputation in regards to pattern logic, etc. :)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you, Scott and Mike for the feedback! Randy is def on the top of my list. The purpose of this post was to get some feedback from the community in regards to some of the other instructors out there. I was curious if anyone had an established reputation in regards to pattern logic, etc. :)

Where are you located WW?

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can learn a lot by drilling rotation and watching pros play straight pool, but an instructor will help tailor your pattern play to your shooting ability and give explanations that you may not intuit on your own.

There's a difference between ball movement and pattern play. You can practice working through a complicated layout and solving problems with rotation and straight pool. But in other game formats, the optimal pattern is the one that, based on your ability, gives you the best chance at winning the rack, and for many people that may not be the pattern that gives you the best chance at a runout. Picking the right pattern relies on game experience, how you're shooting that day, and the opponent you're facing. Running out in practice won't teach you the pattern play you need in order not to sell out when you're under pressure against a better opponent.

If you want lessons about pattern play to really "stick" in your brain, there's no better teacher than getting your ass beat by a runout player in a tournament, even an informal one. You take lessons to heart really quickly when those lessons are embarrassing.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

WW,
Depending where you are from there might be a pro that might help cover pattern play with you. As an example, I live about 90 minutes from Owensboro, KY and I hooked up with Nick Varner to go over this very same thing.

So, if, say, you lived in the Las Vegas area there is Max Eberle. If you lived in the Georgia area I believe Johnny Archer would be a good one to contact about a pattern play lesson. It just depends where you are from.

Best to ya.....
DCP

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Joe Tuckers guaranteed improvement workbook. It's $11, and if you actually do the drills, your CB will improve.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Pattern play is very simple; don't let anyone tell you different.

When you have the tools the game tells you how to play it, it's far from rocket science.

Show 1000 layouts in all games and 1000 players may attack them differently.
If the balls are sitting in the holes then it's your basic connect a dot, a monkey can do it.

It's about recognizing your options and visualizing the routes, very simple. The same goes for safety play, in any game.
It's almost problem solving, not Mensa problem solving just basic what is 1+1 - 1.

I could show you many ways to attack patterns, would you remember how I think and see them? Of course there are helpful hints, they will not change your life.

You be the pattern, use your own brain, problem solve, figure out the puzzle, make it your own.
Learning to apply insurance position can raise your game to a much higher level; it's the hidden gem of pattern recognition, that is the lesson many players need.

A simple play of 1 ft cue ball movement to the next ball may not be your best option. You could move the cue ball 4 ft and play for a different pocket for more options and easier play to complete a rack.

It's all about the cue ball.

It all sounds good writing and reading this but it's useless without knowing the cue ball inside out and back again. You must have the ability to deliver a straight stroke with the proper speed to the desired location. You can't play a pattern if you don't know how to get there. You can't build a house without the tools.

Learn to play Billiards if there is a table in your area. Play straight rail, 1, 2, and 3 cushion billiards. Play as much straight pool as you can. Your pattern play and safety game will sky rocket.

Combine the knowledge of straight pool and billiards and rotation patterns become no brainers. You will be able to see a 10 ball rack pattern within 10 seconds of the break.

It's all about the cue ball, everything else is simple compared, patterns being on top of the list.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Show 1000 layouts in all games and 1000 players may attack them differently.

1,000 amateurs, sure. Not 1,000 shortstops/pros. There are simple tools you can use to break down non-rotation games, as well as rotation games.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I don't have names for you but I can tell you what I have done that helped me tremendously.

1) Watch a lot of professional matches online and after the break, pause the video and assess the table layout and try to figure out how you would run the table in the scenario that you would never miss a pot or a position and then compare with the actual video. You will soon recognize familiar patterns.

2) Play with a much stronger player and really let him/her know not to take it easy on you and really pay attention to what they are doing and don't be shy to ask them how they executed a certain shot or why they played it that way. I am lucky enough to have the chance to practice with one of the best player Canada has ever seen and it has really helped me a lot over the years.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, the Burt Kinnister tapes focus a TON on pattern play. You might want to try a 1 month subscription, and watch a few of them. The production value is low, but if you actually do what he says, it will help:)

Caution, it will automatically charge you cc every month, so stay on top of it if you want to cancel.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi AZBers,

2 questions here:

1) Does anyone have recommendations for an instructor who specializes in teaching pattern play? I've worked with Randy G on fundamentals in the past (awesome experience, btw) and now I'm looking to fine tune my pattern game which seems to stab me in the back often.

2) Best drills / training materials for pattern play?

I really like Tor Lowry's new 3 cd set on pattern play

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, the Burt Kinnister tapes focus a TON on pattern play. You might want to try a 1 month subscription, and watch a few of them. The production value is low, but if you actually do what he says, it will help:)

Caution, it will automatically charge you cc every month, so stay on top of it if you want to cancel.

I will second that. When it comes to drills that is really what Bert Kinister is all about. He has a ton of drills about pattern play. In particular his "Advances angles and speed" drill is very good.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Dominic Esposito and Allen Sand each have multiple position play books and references materials, all with progressive drills included. Very good stuff.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dominic Esposito and Allen Sand each have multiple position play books and references materials, all with progressive drills included. Very good stuff.

Pattern play has to do with the order in which you pocket balls. It's not a synonym for 'position play.'

Pattern play refers to non-rotation games, such as 8 ball, 14.1, or one- pocket. Each game has different issues regarding pattern play, which is why I asked which game the op needed help with.

I suspect that there seems to be a misunderstanding of the term here by more than one person.

Last edited:

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pattern play has to do with the order in which you pocket balls. It's not a synonym for 'position play.'

Pattern play refers to non-rotation games, such as 8 ball, 14.1, or one- pocket. Each game has different issues regarding pattern play, which is why I asked which game the op needed help with.

I suspect that there seems to be a misunderstanding of the term here by more than one person.

Fran makes a good point. The Kinister drills are really about position play. The Tor Lowry are more about selecting the correct patterns and choosing the simplest way to run a series of balls with or without respect to their numerical order.

I do think there is a lot to determine about the correct patterns even with rotation play. Deciding in advance which pocket you intend to shoot each ball into and which side of each ball you need to be on to be able to get easy shape for the subsequent balls is a pattern choice. Even deciding which ball you plan to use for a breakout ball is a pattern choice. Pattern play as I see it is mapping out a full table run out before shooting the first shot which applies more to non-rotation play but is still a part of rotation play. Ball sequence is part of a pattern but pocket selection and a break out strategy are also pattern considerations to me.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran makes a good point. The Kinister drills are really about position play. The Tor Lowry are more about selecting the correct patterns and choosing the simplest way to run a series of balls with or without respect to their numerical order.

I do think there is a lot to determine about the correct patterns even with rotation play. Deciding in advance which pocket you intend to shoot each ball into and which side of each ball you need to be on to be able to get easy shape for the subsequent balls is a pattern choice. Even deciding which ball you plan to use for a breakout ball is a pattern choice. Pattern play as I see it is mapping out a full table run out before shooting the first shot which applies more to non-rotation play but is still a part of rotation play. Ball sequence is part of a pattern but pocket selection and a break out strategy are also pattern considerations to me.

I know what you mean about pattern play and rotation games, and I thought a long time about whether or not pattern play could apply to rotation games before I posted my answer. I agree that an argument could be made as to whether mapping out a rotation table could be considered pattern play, although I think it's stretching the definition somewhat and combining it with position choices. What makes pattern play so different from position play is the choice of which ball to shoot next.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right, there is a difference. For most players, position play should be the priority in your mind as far as improving. The moves you have to make to work your way through 15-ball rotation means you develop a lot of ball movement tricks to keep up your sleeve when you're looking at a pattern so then you'll see and be comfortable all sorts of options you wouldn't have had before. Then straight pool is good for learning pattern choice to solve complex problems. Straight pool on its own isn't great for practicing intensive CB maneuvering and 15-ball rotation on its own isn't quite what you need learning the percentages for options when you need to solve problem balls, you need experience with both. Then, the trick is stay creative with patterns sometimes in practice to see how far you can push your shotmaking, and remain flexible. You don't want to become too set in your pattern play early on, because hopefully you'll develop positional skills (and carom skills!) that you should add into your pattern play. Unfortunately knowing when to roll the dice as far as which shots you can execute under pressure requires actually attempting these things under pressure so well-rounded practice also means playing against an opponent with at least something on the line.