International Open 9-Ball 2024, St. Augustine, FL, Nov. 18-22

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have info on the amateur event?
It's the 18th through the 22nd -- same dates as the Open. I think I saw that they'll have 32 tables total.

Here's the info from the website:

Description​

The 2024 International 9-Ball Semi Pro Event is scheduled for November 18 – 22, 2024 (Monday-Friday). $10,000 added, $125 entry fee, $25 registration fee. Single Elimination, race to 7, with a $50 Buy-Back Option. Single Elimination for final 16 players. Alternate Breaks and rack your own. If you lose your first two matches, your $50 Buy-Back fee will be refunded to you! If the race to 7 is not done in 2 hours (no need to be ashamed 😊), the players will continue the match by lagging for each rack win until a player reaches 7.​
(I read the "no need to be ashamed" as "you need to be ashamed". ;))

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a pretty weak amateur event. I'd say amateur speed goes up to about Fargo 720 these days, maybe higher.
That's roughly in the Ernesto Dominguez or Tommy Tokoph range. I think a 700 belongs in the main tournament. Another consideration is that if the semi-pro level is set lower, there is a better chance to fill the 200 places.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the other hand, could there be APA 6s who are also 650s? :devilish:
Doubtful, unless their LO is an idiot. Usually a 600 fargo would be an APA9, or whatever the max is. A 600 in APA is God. It is a huge mismatch to make it 650 and/or APA 6. Pat must not have any idea about APA ratings is the only explanation. It's quite possible, as he's been entrenched in pro pool for 50 years.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I want to play this event with a buddy of mine that lives in Florida. IDK if I should do the pro or amateur event. I'd obviously be a better fit for the amateur.