Is a custom cue really worth the hassle these days?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Someone explain this to me....

AGREE COMPLETELY...

i never built a cue that wasn't for myself...

..just that i would build one and someone in my travels would want to buy it and being the whore that i am i would sell it cuz i had enough good wood to build another....did that for decades until i finally realized the insanity that is required to do that and quit.....now i am still insane, i am just not building cues anymore.

Cheerzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dennis Dieckman

...and whenever i made a cue for somebody

my only promise was when I WAS HAPPY WITH IT only then would they get it, and only after their check had cleared.........AND every time you callled me to ask how it was going i would move you to the back of the list again....
cHEERZZZZZZZZZZZ
dENNIS dIECKMAN

Dennis the last time I saw somebody on here referring to themselves as an artist and contradicting themselves like that was when brags was here

pudgie100

Registered
I ordered a custom cue this year. I sketched a design and sent it to the cue maker last January, specifying the wood, joint type, joint collar length and material, what materials I wanted in the inlays, what weight, I wanted the cue. Basically I specified every detail of the cue.

To get all the above done took about a month of back and forth. Then I was told approximately nine months to build the cue and 20 percent down to get it started.

A several months later, the inlay work was about to start, I was sent cad modeled pic's to verify the inlays being done, I had a few corrections to make about a week later, I received more cad pic's which were correct and the cue continued.

A couple of month later received pic's of a cue with 90 percent of the inlay work done. That got me excited to see the progress of the cue. It is looking like my sketch.

Two weeks ago got a call saying inlay work is complete, ring work on shafts done. I have a problem with the weight because of the materials being used the cue will finish 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce over specified weight. Will that be ok. I was fine with that so the cue will be 19.5 oz instead of 18.5 not a deal breaker. Will send pic's next week, really excited to see the progress, but never got those pic's. I was a little bummed about that oh well.

From the time I paid the 20 percent nine months would be Nov., so cue is coming along fine. All the interactions above conversations, texts, pic's., e-mail were all initiated by the cue maker.

My personal experience with him has been positive.

OP sound like you answered your on question. Depends. If you want something unique or custom to you, then yes a reputable cue maker is the way to go. If you are happy with what you have, then no.

Hope this helps.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer for me is yes. The easiest way to buy a custom is to buy something that is already built. If you do want something custom be prepared to wait and use a reputable cue maker. I’ve waited anywhere from 12 years to 8 weeks. The last cue I got took about 16 months.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I ordered a custom cue this year. I sketched a design and sent it to the cue maker last January, specifying the wood, joint type, joint collar length and material, what materials I wanted in the inlays, what weight, I wanted the cue. Basically I specified every detail of the cue.

To get all the above done took about a month of back and forth. Then I was told approximately nine months to build the cue and 20 percent down to get it started.

A several months later, the inlay work was about to start, I was sent cad modeled pic's to verify the inlays being done, I had a few corrections to make about a week later, I received more cad pic's which were correct and the cue continued.

A couple of month later received pic's of a cue with 90 percent of the inlay work done. That got me excited to see the progress of the cue. It is looking like my sketch.

Two weeks ago got a call saying inlay work is complete, ring work on shafts done. I have a problem with the weight because of the materials being used the cue will finish 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce over specified weight. Will that be ok. I was fine with that so the cue will be 19.5 oz instead of 18.5 not a deal breaker. Will send pic's next week, really excited to see the progress, but never got those pic's. I was a little bummed about that oh well.

From the time I paid the 20 percent nine months would be Nov., so cue is coming along fine. All the interactions above conversations, texts, pic's., e-mail were all initiated by the cue maker.

My personal experience with him has been positive.

OP sound like you answered your on question. Depends. If you want something unique or custom to you, then yes a reputable cue maker is the way to go. If you are happy with what you have, then no.

Hope this helps.

That's professional service rt there. That's what I would expect.

Care to tell us how much, post some pics?

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know, the answer is "it depends". But this question goes through my mind every time one of these cuemaker nightmare threads like the current one pops up.

Buy one already made and ready to ship.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on what you value and desire.

If you just want a good playable cue you do not need a custom cue. There are plenty of great playing production cues these days that you can order for a few hundred bucks and get deliver in a couple days.

But if you want something special, something that matches an image you have in your mind, and you want a certain style of construction that production cues don’t offer, then it can absolutely be worth it.

For me I really wanted a traditional sharp pointed cue with green veneers and a simple overall design. Not something you can just find at a shop typically. So I made a custom order with Bob Runde. There was zero hassle involved in that deal. Some waiting, sure, but no hassle. I placed my order through a friend who’s worked with Bob in the past and very clearly laid out what I wanted (design, weight of butt and shafts, balance, shaft diameter, etc). 9 months later a cue showed up that was perfect! Actually, the shafts came in .1oz over my requested weight with the caveat that he’d rebuild me new ones if needed....haha, for .1oz off! Now that is service and of course I said they were fine, I was honestly super impressed how perfectly everything came out. At this point I hadn’t even paid a penny....he shipped the cue when finished and so I had it in my hands when I handed over payment. Talk about a hassle free experience.

I’ve now had that cue for two years. It’s now my only playing cue and I think I love it more now then the day it arrived. It has pretty much erased my desire to get other cues because it’s the exact cue I’ve always wanted and I get a ton of joy out of playing with it.

So yeah, was absolutely worth doing for me, but it was also hassle free.

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy whatever you like most of the players i know in league use production cues mostly predators some players poison etc.not many customs.I had a few customs but now i play with a Tiger sneaky and plays good but that,s only my opinion.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some cue makers use special construction designs, or materials you won't commonly find with production cues...
No matter how much people talk up Mezz, none I've tested have hit any better than any Lucasi;
in my humble opinion.

Money, knowledge/level of ability, convenience, and urgency seem to be the determining factors for why people choose the cues they do.
Looks come into play somewhere along the line for sure.

The main difference I've noticed between custom,
and production lines, is the quality of the shaft wood.
Allot of cue makers will pride themselves on the
old maple they use.
To combat lack of quality wood in amount,
there are now several laminated low deflection options;
that will indeed push the cue ball forward at your level of ability.

To me, they feel like my foot's asleep and
don't allow me to run as fast. Lol.
Whether it be peer pressure, or, because they're sponsored by a company; I see many people using them.
They make every cue feel identical, and shorten the
learning curve I've been told. Blah blah.

Ultimately, regardless of price, you need to learn how any
cue performs and you can become a beast!
I bought a sneaky pete conversion for $200, that sadly,
performs at the same level of many high end cues.
Why? It's probably the old growth shaft wood.

I had a $170 cocbolo Lucasi, with a curly maple handle, that hit better than a buddy's $900 Mezz.
The old Indian vs the arrow saying always comes into play when splitting hairs over cue quality.
Personal pride and preferences will usually influence a person's curiosity toward having a custom made.

If you're a monster on the table,
then nothing can change that.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Sure it is, if its the right custom cue. Most production shops have great machinery, what they don't have most, is the time to "select" great shaft wood, or even fully dried wood. But the quantity is so much that replacing a warped shaft or butt, is not a big deal. Since they are making money in "speed" manufacturing.

A good, custom guy, has had aged shaft wood, if you're still a purist, (No l/d) that means something. Plus you build a relationship, with that maker. Which is better than a relationship with a middle mans, customer relations department. You design the cue, and there is personal satisfaction within the cue, the transaction and an appreciation you will not have buying a cue that is made in the thousands.

Hey I don't wear watches, but there are guys here that LOVE watches.. I have no need for time, other than my smart phone... To me any watch purchase is overkill...

JV

William

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take McDermott as just one example....They're absolutely beautiful, flawlessly constructed....

If you really believe this to be true, then I would say buying a custom cue is not the right choice for you.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you really believe this to be true, then I would say buying a custom cue is not the right choice for you.

I certainly can't speak for all of them, but of the ones I own it's true. I may wake up in the morning and they may be twisted like a pretzel, but right now it's hard to imagine how the fit, finish and construction could be any nicer or prettier. One of the few items I've ever bought that looks even better in person than in the photos. Design factors are of course completely subjective.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, if that's what I want. I'll say this again, if I EVER find a production cue that plays like any of my custom cues I'll buy it. Until that happens I won't own a production cue.
Simple.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I know, the answer is "it depends". But this question goes through my mind every time one of these cuemaker nightmare threads like the current one pops up. Thirty or forty years ago if you wanted something pretty or special you had no choice. But today, no so much.

Take McDermott as just one example. I recently bought a couple, a G407 for $416.00 and a G502 for $463.00. Look these up if you get a chance. They're absolutely beautiful, flawlessly constructed, come with a lifetime warranty (with a good chance that the builder will be around to honor it) and they took about 3 days to get. Try that with any custom maker today and see where it gets you.

So if we eliminate exclusivity, collectibility and bragging rights (which admittedly are valuable to some), what reasons are left in this day and time to go custom if you just want a very nice cue that you're actually gonna use?

I do know this: if I were going to buy one it'd almost certainly be on the secondary market.

so ...
Is a custom cue really worth the hassle these days?

IMO - everyone has to make that decision for themselves. Some will say yes - others no. I'm guessing it's not worth it for you.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom Cues Can Be Well Worth The Hassle.........."if"....there's always an if.

Some custom cues will retain real value much better than others and it depends on the cue-maker,
lead time to get a new cue, the actual design of the cue being sold and the cue specs. The majority
of custom cues hold their value better than any production cue and some customs will actually yield
a profit if you were to sell the cue. Some examples I can recite sit right in my own pool cue collection.

My Scruggs cue is worth a lot more than I paid & my Prewitt cue is worth more than I paid because Ed
isn't producing cues using ivory since California enacted its ivory ban on July 1, 2016. My Runde Schon
is worth a lot more than what I originally paid and so is my Palmer cue. I sold a Paul Mottey to offset
the price for my EP cue and I netted well over a grand profit on that sale.......so absolutely yes, you
can assuredly make a profit with some cues but it depends on what you paid for it & the cue -maker.

I am not implying, so please do not infer, that custom cues are an investment. Heck no, that's not the
case. What I am saying if you buy smart, the cue's intrinsic value will always be there when you
sell or trade the cue. And if you select the right cue and cue-maker, a profit can be realized when sold.
However as an investment, I think it's the wrong vehicle to place your money if profit is your primary goal.

Matt B,

Last edited:

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all these nightmare cue maker threads out there maybe a thread of reputable cue makers who are a pleasure to work with would be nice.
Off the top of my head Jerry Olivier out of TX comes to mind. I talked to Jerry about designing a simple cocobolo leather wrap player. I wanted cocobolo cause I like the look of the wood and the stiffness of the hit. Playibility is my main concern with the cue. He told me about 6 months wait and I'd have it. 6 months later I got the call. He started off the conversation by saying I hope you don't get upset cause I changed the cue. He said the piece of cocobolo was just so damn beuituful he didn't want it to leave the shop that plain. He added rings in all abcd spots and a special wrap at no up charge because he said the wood deserved it. He was polite, easy to talk to, on time and a complete pleasure to work with. A++ in my book.
Another one is Keith and Sherry Josey. They make absolute monsters to play with and are some of the nicest people in billiard industry and the way they do business refects that.

Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Yes , they are worth the hassle

Yes, they can be worth it for sure. After 20 years of playing off and on with both production and custom cues alike, but never having a custom cue designed for me, I finally took the plunge and went the custom route and I really enjoyed both the end produuct and the process.

I saw here on AZB an Arounceville blank I liked and had Kelly Peterson, aka mvp cues fnish it out complete with inlays. Kelly helped me tailor the specs to my tastes and executed a tip top end product. He was in constant contact with me throughout the project and he was really a joy to work with. The process ended up almost as fun as playing with it, lol.

If you pick the right maker, you can have an enjoyable experience, as I have had. One of these days I'll hit up Kelly for another cue. In fact, I can recommend Arounceville for a blank as well...both tip top Craftsmen for sure!

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
With all these nightmare cue maker threads out there maybe a thread of reputable cue makers who are a pleasure to work with would be nice.
Off the top of my head Jerry Olivier out of TX comes to mind. I talked to Jerry about designing a simple cocobolo leather wrap player. I wanted cocobolo cause I like the look of the wood and the stiffness of the hit. Playibility is my main concern with the cue. He told me about 6 months wait and I'd have it. 6 months later I got the call. He started off the conversation by saying I hope you don't get upset cause I changed the cue. He said the piece of cocobolo was just so damn beuituful he didn't want it to leave the shop that plain. He added rings in all abcd spots and a special wrap at no up charge because he said the wood deserved it. He was polite, easy to talk to, on time and a complete pleasure to work with. A++ in my book.
Another one is Keith and Sherry Josey. They make absolute monsters to play with and are some of the nicest people in billiard industry and the way they do business refects that.

Actually I have seen a few threads which discuss the great qualities of our better cue makers. Folks do enjoy being proud of a quality cue they got from a cue maker that's treated them well. Granted, there are a LOT more threads about discontent; but I think that's common with most things in life. Folks seem more apt to speak out when they're unhappy than when they are content.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is a custom cue really worth the hassle these days? - Yesterday, 04:36 PM

Short answer ~ no
Long answer ~ no it's not

Hope this helps you!