Is it bad etiquette when ......

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
It's simple as TD you make the rules. When your not shooting you should be sitting in your chair if you aren't the first time you loose the game the second time it's loss of the match, that will make them sit. You announce before the tourney you have a couple new rules and explain them and why you adding it, everyone will get the message. If anyone has a problem with the new rule you are probably better off without them. Good luck.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see this kind of stuff all the time, especially in league. I can never tell if the player is being a gamesman or just ignorant. I was watching one of my teammates play Monday, and just as she was bending over to hit a shot, her opponent (who was already standing too close to the table IMHO) walked up, grabbed a piece of chalk, and chalked his cue while she was lining up to shoot. She didn't seem to notice, but my thought was "dude, you're not going to miscue while she is shooting!"

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I see this kind of stuff all the time, especially in league. I can never tell if the player is being a gamesman or just ignorant. I was watching one of my teammates play Monday, and just as she was bending over to hit a shot, her opponent (who was already standing too close to the table IMHO) walked up, grabbed a piece of chalk, and chalked his cue while she was lining up to shoot. She didn't seem to notice, but my thought was "dude, you're not going to miscue while she is shooting!"

I have a friend that would have taken the shot and followed through right into that guy's face....hard. "Excuse me sir, you have my cue tip up your nose."

It works to stop the sharking, but it also stops the game. :eek:

Jeff Livingston

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a weekly 9-ball tourney this player plays in which I'm referring to, but the calcutta purse alone is sometimes 4 figures with up to $500 for first place, so it is serious business for most players. I feel like sharking moves such as this should absolutely not be tolerated and that player should be called out by either the opponent or myself, as the TD.

Perhaps pick some week when the offender is there. And before you start calling matches, do a broad low-key reminder to the group about a few etiquette issues.

Something like... "Hey folks, just a reminder on a few etiquette issues. It is respectful to your opponent to not get up and wander around when he is shooting and to not get up to see if he is hooked, etc. If you are worried you may need to call a ref, just politely say to your opponent 'may I take a look at that' before getting up'....... Thanks!"

If the offender is just clueless, this will clue him in. If it is a shark move, this will at least make it a bolder shark move...

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I like the ones who say, "good game", like it's over. I ask them if that means they concede the game, and are ready to start the new one. They always say no that's not what they meant, and never say it to me again.

LOL .. had same thing happen to me - and I did the same damn thing. Worked like a charm.

Yes - poor form to be walking around the table when opponent is shooting. Personally I'd get up from the shot - walk over - and ask him if something was wrong. But admittedly I can be a bit of a snot at times if someone's being a jerk.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just try to help them and tell them that they would get a better view of the run out from over there, pointing at their chair

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a rotation game you know what ball is the next target for your opponent after you miss so if you want to take a quick look at the layout you should do it as you're leaving.
Nothing wrong with this. Inquiring minds want to know.

Just don't come back for a second look until I miss. I consider approaching the table when it's not your shot a concession of the game as the only possible activity that involves you at this point in time is racking the balls. So I assume that's what you have in mind.

JC

This^

Only time I get near the table when my opponent is shooting is to concede and pull the balls out. Whenever someone walks up to the table as I’m shooting the game winning ball, I stand up and say “is that good?” If they say no I ask why they’re standing next to the table. Most of the time they’ll say yes though. Because they know they’re being rude.

JC

Coos Cues

Sometimes people stand "too close" to the table while others are shooting because they genuinely want to see what the player does so they can learn. This doesn't bother me as long as they stay still. Particularly among friends.

JC

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are playing in our weekly tournament with considerable $$ involved for the top finishers, you are shooting, and your opponent gets out of his chair to go take a look from the opposite side of the table you are preparing to shoot the shot from, to see exactly what the shot looks like or how hard a shot it is?

No, he doesn't stay there for long and goes back to his chair before you start in to your pre-shot routine, and no, it's not a shot that could potentially be a bad hit to need an observer called to the table to make a call on.

This player has done this move to a number of different players. As an opponent or a TD, do I have a right to instruct this player that this is really bad etiquette and that he should stay in his seat, unless he thinks the shot might need to be judged?

We have a few other players that wonder all over the poolroom when their opponent is shooting at the table. No, they are not getting in the way of matches on other tables, but they just can't stay seated and close to the table when their opponent is shooting. Is this a sharking move, and again, as an opponent or a TD, is it reasonable to instruct this player that he needs to stay in his seat while their opponent is shooting? We have plenty of spectator chairs located adjacent to each table, for players to make use of during matches.

- Thanks for all thoughtful and honest feedback!

He should sty in his seat unless the shot needs to be judged for a possible foul, and then someone else should be called over to do that.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A classic shark move.

True statement. I hate it when players peek at a shot after they just missed or tried to play a D. It's a sure sign that they are not certain of their positioning skills.

You miss a shot, you walk off the table. It's not your turn anymore. Don't look at what shot I might take.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Just made me think..... tonight I'm going to sub in for a league, and we're going to a place that only does this sort of stuff. i.e, grabbing chalk off the table on your shot, looking at your difficult shot, not sitting/standing in front of the pocket.

I absolutely agree with others;
The amount you're playing for should have no determination of how you display good sportsmanship.

Just like the car you drive shouldn't reflect on your mannerisms of the road right? Interesting that it's the people with the flashy cars that are more often than not cutting off other people in the merge lane. At least those who do it in a more nonchalant fashion.

This falls in line with people that spend more money on pool games, and how some believe they should have the utmost of professionalism.... because their playing for more.....? Get real

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if they are intentional trying to shark you say something. but heck most arent such great players in bar league and are there for fun. not to blindly follow rules because some want the game to be pure.
you do have to learn to play with distractions or your pool life will be miserable.

lots of players after missing want to go back and look what they left or how it turned out. if you havent gotten in position yet, just let it go. maybe you will make a friend.
if that simple thing sharks you then you are the problem.

usually the ones complaining are the ones losing

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Standing and watching; absolutely still; until they catch your eye ask them“whatta ya think.”
Befuddled answer
“Then step back until it is your turn”

Seemed to work pretty well the last few folks that are inconsiderate (but not being sh1/$)
When you KNOW they are trying to psych you out; smile at them and POUND that puppy home!
��

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good way to handle yourself

if they are intentional trying to shark you say something. but heck most arent such great players in bar league and are there for fun. not to blindly follow rules because some want the game to be pure.
you do have to learn to play with distractions or your pool life will be miserable.

lots of players after missing want to go back and look what they left or how it turned out. if you havent gotten in position yet, just let it go. maybe you will make a friend.
if that simple thing sharks you then you are the problem.

usually the ones complaining are the ones losing

This is a good attitude and the right approach. In almost all competitive situations, there is a lot going on and you have to block it out. When you run into that one rare opponent, who is really trying to work you. You have to deal with it, or it might work.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
...Just like the car you drive shouldn't reflect on your mannerisms of the road right? Interesting that it's the people with the flashy cars that are more often than not cutting off other people in the merge lane. At least those who do it in a more nonchalant fashion.

I dunno. I've spent a lot of time on the road and have seen plenty of a-holes in every type of car: cop cars, cabs, semis, sports cars, suv, 4x4, luxury and pos.

About the only one that has a lock on class is a hearse.

MickeyMantle

Mickey Mantle #7
Is it bad edituitte

First time it happens, just ask him really nice to please refrain from moving in front while its your shot.....after that, you are on your own to say or do whatever you want. Actually, think that a lot of people don't realize what they're doing is not proper. Maybe we could put Earl Strickland as the shooter, and see how he would probably handle this situation.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I like the ones who say, "good game", like it's over. I ask them if that means they concede the game, and are ready to start the new one. They always say no that's not what they meant, and never say it to me again.

I lije the ones who make a bad shot, leave me an easy shot and say "there you go"
Like they threw me a bone on purpose to let me win.
Players even women do that all the time and I find it annoying, especially when you're probably going to win anyway.

As far as the OP is concerned, the guy nust have been overly concerned to the point that he had to look, and I see guys do that all the time.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I lije the ones who make a bad shot, leave me an easy shot and say "there you go"
Like they threw me a bone on purpose to let me win.
Players even women do that all the time and I find it annoying, especially when you're probably going to win anyway.

As far as the OP is concerned, the guy nust have been overly concerned to the point that he had to look, and I see guys do that all the time.

My friend hates that saying so much that when someone uses it towards him, we all turn and look at each other knowing there will be words and maybe even a physical fight. The poor guy that muttered it will know what he did in no time.

We now use it to shark him....hee hee hee...so, there ya go.

Jeff Livingston

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time it happens, just ask him really nice to please refrain from moving in front while its your shot.....after that, you are on your own to say or do whatever you want. Actually, think that a lot of people don't realize what they're doing is not proper. Maybe we could put Earl Strickland as the shooter, and see how he would probably handle this situation.
You may be right. He actually is a nice guy, so my plan is to have a private conversation with him to let him know it is not cool for him to get up out of his chair to check out the shot when his opponent is at the table, unless he needs to determine if an observer needs to be called on to judge the hit. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely disagree with the people saying if your opponent does that, you should stand up and wait, or tell him to sit down, or respond in any way. If you do that, you've been sharked. The only thing to do is ignore it.

What's worse than poor etiquette? Overreacting to it.