Is there such a thing as a soft tip that doesn't mushroom?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using a milk dud for some time and they have already been compressed and therefore don't mushroom. I wouldn't mind a softer tip but I prefer to spend my pool time at the table and not maintaining a tip.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sumo tips were pretty good for me.

A miscue might cause a chunk of it to separate, in ny experience

You havethe best option, in that dud...i say.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I'm having really good luck with the Kamui SS Black that I'm using right now on a Predator
Z3. I break with it and the whole works, play every day.
I've had pretty good luck with the G2's (the real ones) and Zan's also.
I have also got in the habit of tapering the tip slightly when I change them. That seems to
help quite a bit

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Single layer - almost certainly will mushroom.
Multi-layer - way better luck preventing mushrooming. As noted, Kamui SS is really good.

-td

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Single layer - almost certainly will mushroom.
Multi-layer - way better luck preventing mushrooming. As noted, Kamui SS is really good.

-td

Laminated are okay but my problem is miscues when the tip gets to the glue layer part which is one reason I went to milk duds. No mushrooming and no glue.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I haven't had any mushrooming on my pred victory soft & it's goi g on 2 months now

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Elkmaster Compressed

A friend of mine installed a compressed Elkmaster on my cue and I really liked the grippiness of the leather so much that since I have a decent tool to take care of the side the small amount of work that I have to do on them since he compressed the tip is a very small price to pay for a superior tip.

When the tip was about played out it was very similar to a Triangle in the end when it was thin and it lasted well over a year. I was very pleased and won't be changing again.
Also since it was soft there was lesser squirt.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used a soft Ki-Tech tip and it has not mushroomed at all in the time I was using it and stayed soft for far longer than the Kamui soft I used.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sniper tips are fairly soft.

Mine never mushroom and I play with them for a long time between replacing.

I don't break with the cue and I would say I shoot most shots a little softer than average, but I do hit them hard when needed.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tips

I bought a used 314 shaft for my Schon about a year ago and it had a Kamui black super soft on it. It was pretty thin, (compressed, well used ) but I loved the way the thing hit so I had new black SS's put on the 314 I had previously had been using and the used one I bought. I asked the installer if these would mushroom much and he says he would compress these some before installing them. I shoot with one shaft probably 80% of the time and maybe 20% on the other. Neither tip has mushroomed at all but I have noticed the tip on my main shaft had compressed maybe 20% compared to the one I don't used much.

The Kamui SS's haven't required much maintenance. I will pick/tap it very carefully every now and then. I don't break with this cue. I've always been leery about layered tips but I cannot fault the super softs and really like the way they play.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sniper tips are fairly soft.

Mine never mushroom and I play with them for a long time between replacing.

They certainly feel when they are new. But after a (short) while they loose their springyness and are a good allaround medium tip.
While the Onyx is a little softer I'd still put both of them into the "medium" category.
Both require a little maintenance to keep their nickel/dime shape, but they do not mushroom, at all.

Soft? Take Phoenix layered waterbuffalo "S", or Talismans. Both are a little slimmer, but have a great, defined, soft hit.

Cheers,
M

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using snipers for over 10 years now. I love them. I put them on, and never touch them again until it's time to cut them off. Never tap them, shape them, trim sides, etc. Your mileage may vary.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you trim the tip after mushrooming it gets much harder.
If it gets burnished, yes it mushrooms again, but the feel of the hit won't change for you.
Taper a new unpressed Elkmaster like suggested above, and it'll just play out to be flush with the ferrule eventually.
You'll only need to maintain it with a scuffer or pick.

I have different tips on my cue's just for variety.
Lately, there's been more desire to play with the
kamui clear soft; and an Elkmaster (no milk)- lightly pressed in a quick clamp, and istalled with a fiber pad underneath.
Blindfolded, I bet you couldn't feel the difference if installed on the same shaft. That being said...
After several months of play, I've never miscued with the Kamui. They are expensive though.

I know you said you don't like glue-
but that's the purpose of soaking the Elkmaster in milk.
It turns the whole tip into a solid piece of natural adhesive impregnated leather.

Check out the contact point from the milk dud on the cue ball.
You'll see a ghost spot on the ball that doesn't wipe off as easily as a different tip.
Milk duds really do "grab" the cue ball nice for a reason.
There's a guy at the place I shoot who always busts my chops about dirtying the balls up with my milk dud.
Starts blaming rolls on the "glue spots."
Hahaha!

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it takes like 4 seconds to trim a mushroomed tip. I use tips for the way they play, not how they look.