Is using an Aramith "Measels" ball, cheating??

musicmanryann

Registered
A couple of weeks ago, I bought an Aramith Measle ball to practice with, based on things I read on this forum and elsewhere. I absolutely love it. It has wicked action compared the old chipped cue balls used before at my local pool hall, and I can see much better what happens when I contact the ball.

Anyways, I was practicing by myself the other night, and some guy walks up and goes "Oh you're using a cheater ball, huh?" I just ignored him, but since I haven't played in league or tournaments yet, I wondered what he meant by that. So is it cheating to use, or is the guy an a$$-hat? :cool:

Kinda new here so thanks for answering my newb-style question!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
sounds like the guy was a banger, and was without clue :)

Of course, nobody thinks the pro's are cheating when using the ball.....

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of weeks ago, I bought an Aramith Measle ball to practice with, based on things I read on this forum and elsewhere. I absolutely love it. It has wicked action compared the old chipped cue balls used before at my local pool hall, and I can see much better what happens when I contact the ball.

Anyways, I was practicing by myself the other night, and some guy walks up and goes "Oh you're using a cheater ball, huh?" I just ignored him, but since I haven't played in league or tournaments yet, I wondered what he meant by that. So is it cheating to use, or is the guy an a$$-hat? :cool:

A cheater ball? LOL

No, you are not cheating. The measles ball was created for television, to give viewers the opportunity to see how the cue ball spins. It's a good training ball and is debated often that it plays heavy compared to a red circle ball.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Tell the guy yep its the cheater ball. Your wife's been passing it around the pool hall for weeks. I'm surprised ur taking it so well.

I totally envy you guys relationship. Now f*ck off @$$hat

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL, if you hear that, the guy probably calls playing safeties "cheating". The issue you would have with using a different cueball that does not match the rest of the balls is that it will react differently and often times in a bad way. A heavier cueball than the object ball will follow and push though the ball more while being harder to draw. A lighter ball with be too bouncy off the balls and be TOO easy to draw.

The only "cheater" equipment I'd call that are jump cues :)

Last edited:

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, if you hear that, the guy probably calls playing safeties "cheating". The issue you would have with using a different cueball that does not match the rest of the balls is that it will react differently and often times in a bad way. A heavier cueball than the object ball will follow and push though the ball more while being harder to draw. A lighter ball with be too bouncy off the balls and be TOO easy to draw.

Safeties are called dirty pool not cheating, it's usually followed with real men don't play like that. And the rake is the sissy stick. Well that's a few I encountered anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
Sweeeeeeet. I captained a team for a bit. Our table had the oversized cueball, so I opened the table on practice night and league night and swapped in a measles cueball. I had team members quit the team! I supposed I should have asked first, but I damn sure didn't expect the reaction that I got. Yes, a$$hats. They weren't missed.

DanielDeTinne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a cheater ball. I always try to use a measel ball when I play in leaque. It allows me to see what the higher level players are doing when they stroke shots and I can learn. It also allows me to see how I am stroking the ball.
Only a few times have I had an opponent complain. When it happens I just change cue balls to make them happy.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Here ya go...

Attachments

• asshat.png
    asshat.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 585

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tap, tap, tap

The only "cheater" equipment I'd call that are jump cues :)

Everything you say is correct. Especially your last statement.:thumbup:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it may not have meant you were a cheat. cheater ball could easily mean a ball that is designed to help you. just like a cheater bar in building.
still i would complain at anyone bringing in his own cueball on me.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When in Rome..

Yep. Cheating.

Your measles ball rolls too straight.

Their chipped cue balls have a variable wobble based on speed. Takes a long time to develop speed wobble touch.

Yep. You're cheating.

Bounce it off the concrete floor hard enough to hit the ceiling a couple of hundred times, and then you will be OK. Then you have a regulation wobble ball, with spots.

Problem solved.:eek:

Scottyboy716

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, he prolly thinks that the dots all over it are for aiming and that's why he calls it a cheater ball. You guys forget what it's like to be clueless? I had NO clue about anything 15 years ago.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
The measle cue ball is my favorite cue ball to play with. I have a home table and that's the ball I use on it. I play in a local 9 ball league and we play on Valley bar boxes (I'm not a fan of these but that's what we have to play the league on) and the tables have the Aramith bar box cue balls. This ball is heavier than the measle cue ball and I bought one to use at home when the league night comes around if I have time to practice a little. Some nights my opponent wants to use his own cue ball which is usually a red circle ball and I always say let's use the same ball everyone else is using (the Aramith bar table cue ball on the table). Most guys don't mind and I'm not about to start a match with my opponents personal cue ball that he brought with him.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

He's a retard. I carry a CB with me and I will switch it out before a match if the old CB looks bad..
I will also let them use there ball as long as it's a CB I'm familiar with

Last edited: