Is your home table the same as the ones you compete on?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a used Gold Crown 1 for sale near where I live for around 4k Canadian Dollars but the thing is I have never played on a GC, no pool rooms here carry them and I'm not sure I trust that store to do a perfect install but it would be about half as expensive as getting the same table that I compete on (brand new) straight from the manufacturer and they are the ones that do the installation all over so at the very least I know it would probably be installed and setup the same way as what I'm used to.....which is what my instinct is telling me to do.
IMO, $4K is too much unless it is completely restored. If it was, I'd want to know who did the work and exactly what work was done. I was fortunate to have one of the best mechanics in the country do my rail work and setup so I know it's done right. I knew I could make it look pretty but I wanted it to pay just as good as it looks. It actually plays better than it looks.

TrxR

IMO, $4K is too much unless it is completely restored. If it was, I'd want to know who did the work and exactly what work was done. I was fortunate to have one of the best mechanics in the country do my rail work and setup so I know it's done right. I knew I could make it look pretty but I wanted it to pay just as good as it looks. It actually plays better than it looks.
About the cheapest I've seen a Gold Crown in Canada was 3000.00 as it set right out of a pool hall in Quebec which would have been a long drive for me being in NB. They are not all that common here.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About the cheapest I've seen a Gold Crown in Canada was 3000.00 as it set right out of a pool hall in Quebec which would have been a long drive for me being in NB. They are not all that common here.
Call Trent from Toledo. He moved to Maine so won't be so far from you. He is all about GC's these days. 419-740-0133

Yes

I purposefully got a 9ft diamond with 4.25s (plays slightly smaller) . 95% of all the gambling I do and matches I play is a table very similar to what I have. It’s helped a lot, since I just bank balls generally the adjustments are not that bad when going from place to place.

If it’s within someone’s ability money and space wise I think you should be practicing as close to competition conditions as you can.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Care to educate me on GC and what made you know if was a III and not a I.

Is it a good deal?
The small rail counters are a dead giveaway as is the profile of the aprons.

IMO, the GCIII is the least desirable of the run with some having poor rubber from the factory (first use of Brunswick SuperSpeed cushions) as well as a redesigned frame prone to sagging at the corner pockets.

I personally would not pay $4K for a GCIII regardless of how hard they are to come across in Canada.

Last edited:

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Good grief.
A few years ago I picked up a GC2, with the upgraded GC4, flush pockets and rails for $500.
I sold it last year when I moved for $1500.

To the OP:
Yes, I have the same table and cloth at home as the local pool room.
The pocket sizes are close as well.
There is a huge difference in lighting, however.
I have a perimeter light that seems twice as bright as the Diamond light at the hall.
It takes quite a while for me to adjust to the darker table. I wish my perimeter light could handle a dimmer switch.

NobodySpecial

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question for those of you who have their own table at home and also compete in many tournaments.

Is your table the same brand and/or configured the same as the tables you compete on?

If you do, is it because it just happens that it's your table of choice or because your want to remain "fine tuned" for your tournaments?
For quite a while, my home table/cloth/cushions/balls were exactly the same as way they had at the Derby City Classic. I've done my best to keep up with the changes, but I still have a Diamond Professional with 3-piece slate, and the DCC has switched to Diamond Pro tables with 1-piece slate. I'm not made of money, after all.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My 9ft table is wildly different then the local room's 9ft abominations. Closer to the norm in a typical room, but still a unicorn in terms of rail action. That's a fault of mine when buying cushions for a reconditioning.

As mentioned earlier by someone. I also do not play on my own table leading up to a local event. That's a fault of the room owners, not mine. Their equipment is in such a horrific state of disrepair that the regulars that play there would have strokes if they experienced what pool is meant to be played on/with.

Juan A

Registered
i live in a city without any actual pool rooms. All my league matches, and local tournaments are played on Valleys of varying degrees of Maintenace and care. I have a 7 ft Diamond Pro-am at home. I love having the nicer table at home.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Interesting question ...

I have a 9' Dufferin Challenger table at home covered in Simonis, work by Al the owner of Snooker Shack.
Where I play, at the Snooker Shack, they have 9' Dufferin Titan tables, also covered in Simonis, work by Al the owner.

The Challenger is a model older (and maybe better) than the Titan. They play about the same in terms of banks and pockets accepting balls.

But this is all coincidence, the Challenger came up for same when I was looking, and these older Canadian Dufferin commercial tables are popular here in Canada :) And Al is a great guy and was available last time the table moved and was re-covered. :)

Dave <-- in Canada

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Interesting question ...

I have a 9' Dufferin Challenger table at home covered in Simonis, work by Al the owner of Snooker Shack.
Where I play, at the Snooker Shack, they have 9' Dufferin Titan tables, also covered in Simonis, work by Al the owner.

The Challenger is a model older (and maybe better) than the Titan. They play about the same in terms of banks and pockets accepting balls.

But this is all coincidence, the Challenger came up for same when I was looking, and these older Canadian Dufferin commercial tables are popular here in Canada :) And Al is a great guy and was available last time the table moved and was re-covered. :)

Dave <-- in Canada
I had to google that table.
The Challenger looks like a great table.
A timeless look to it too.
Very nice!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I had to google that table.
The Challenger looks like a great table.
A timeless look to it too.
Very nice!
Ya, they may not be very common in the USA. I like it a lot, plays real well IMO. Some crappy pictures of my table (there is lots of room on the sides, and just under 5' on the ends ... but for some shots you can open the door that one of the picture is shot from :) ). One GREAT thing that every table should have, a rest on each side !

Daves Challenger 3.jpg
Daves Challenger 4.jpg

Dave

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the link for the GC1 for 4K CAD

My mechanic who lives 1000+ miles from me, told me the GC1 is a very good table.
Of course that depends on if all the parts are there.

There's no shortage of table mechanics for me.
I just consider yesyura the best there is. No doubt, Carom tables.
We all have to realize a Mechanic can't survive working on Carom tables.
His main income has to come from Pool Tables. Likely 80-20, pool- carom.