It's no wonder pool doesn't go anywhere.

swrooster

A HOTDOG ROAD PLAYER!!
Silver Member
Yeah Baby!!!!!

SpiderWebComm said:
Man, why don't they do THAT? McCready vs Earl. That would be the entertainment of the YEAR! Where's JAM--- Hook that up!!!

Dave
The Miz (RIP) and Dick Lane could hold their own also. At the finals in the NM Open a few years back Keith had Danny Medina ready to fight,cry,scream,etc. The best formal finals I have ever seen in my life. Back in the day at Rusty's off Loop 12, if those money matches would have been recorded and aired today,ratings out the roof. However; after reading this thread and reflecting deep within my inner sanctum I will now elevate my thoughts, actions and posts to a higher plane for the sake of the sport. I'll miss you cur dogs.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Pool has wasted 30 years trying to make it look like what it isn't. I believe it was the BCA that started that drive...and look what they've done to help the player over the years:rolleyes: . Pool is what it is. As far as what sponsors like or don't like, well this is a different era than 30 years ago. There is a line in an old country song, "most girls don't like boys like me...ahhhh but some girls do." Johnnyt

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Koopa said:
There's something to be said about hockey and pool. I played the sport for 12 years and one thing I always had to explain to people is that hockey players don't really hold grudges outside of the rink. Two guys have a problem on the ice, they trade a few punches and get the aggression out. The worst they get is 2 minutes in the box.

Around here, in many rec leagues, you fight and you get the game plus a few more. Second fight in the season and you get the game and the season (for you non-hockey folk, that's a game misconduct, and you are suspended from league play for the remainder of the season). The suspensions for fighting are creeping up in other serious leagues as well. As an example the "instigator" rule in the NHL, and the attention that dingbat Roy caused in the QMJHL. Hockey fighting is being actively discouraged at many levels.

Dave

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sweet Marissa said:
People fighting, flaming, demeaning, baiting, attacking, belittling, cheating, stealing... Bickering over a difference of opinion from anything to aiming techniques to bad grammar... Hatrid over another's political stance... And that's just on the forums! The forums are supposed to be a social network to promote pool and meet others who shared passion for it.

It's easiest to respond to your posts by simply finding somewhere else where you posted something that contradicts your current viewpoint. Following is from yesterday:

Sweet Marissa said:
... you don't have to post on this forum. If you aren't happy, find another.

Sargo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Koopa said:
There's something to be said about hockey and pool. I played the sport for 12 years and one thing I always had to explain to people is that hockey players don't really hold grudges outside of the rink. Two guys have a problem on the ice, they trade a few punches and get the aggression out. The worst they get is 2 minutes in the box.

Meanwhile Earl snaps ONE cue and catches all the flak in the pool world for it. Pro pool is trying to be made into some family friendly clean sport. Why don't we just call it what it is and take it from there? Show it all. Some advertisers might not like it, but many will once they see the ratings and interest.

Earl and McCready commenting on a match that ends with Corey punching Charlie Williams in the face. Who WOULDN'T want to sponsor that?

And what is that? In Asia it is a game of skill. And people watch it for that reason. Americans just have too many choices on TV to settle for a game that actually is about pure skill (no athleticism needed).

girlwon1

Silver Member
You see Marissa, the reason you are getting frustrated is because reality isn't matching up to what you think it should be. Reality is that this is a pool forum, like another poster stated, that has a great many business deals going on, and side bets between people who have never seen each other before. You say the forums are supposed to be a social network to promote pool and meet others who shared passion for it. This forum is that, it has worked as a social network, it has successfully promoted pool, and people do share their passion for this game, which includes both negative and positive reaction.

There is naturally going to be some negativity, someone voicing his or her own frustration to others here when certain expectations are not met concerning quality, or time shipped, or amount paid, etc. The fact that those people have a place to come to resolve it with the help of others is a benefit to everyone. No, not everything you are going to read here is going to be flowery, but all you can do is accept reality for what it is, and you let the change you want to see start with you. All you can do is be a positive force here in your words and actions, instead of frustrate yourself when others do not measure up to what you feel like they should.

I know the avatar thing has been discussed numerous times already. All you can do is present your image in what you feel is appropriate, and be that positive change again by example. I am sure the answer is not to insert two naked guys holding each other's back sides about to kiss. Answering something you feel is offensive with something you think others will find offensive is not productive, Marissa. I could see your having more of a point if that option wasn't availiable to you in our forum's options. It is, so turn it off. Let the moderators decide what is good and too much for their own forum. They supplied you a way to disagree with their decisions, by shutting them off.

I have read numerous times over the years where you yourself have called people names, you disagreed in a very heated manner about someone's opinion. You have publicly yourself have had somewhere to go when you felt you were wronged by Charlie. Is how you conveyed your feelings about Charlie always been in a good way as to convey what happened, or has there been name calling and frivolity?

When you and others decided to follow the Christian path, you make decisions on what you will tolerate to make yourself comfortable. There are many Christians who probably wouldn't hang out in a pool room, or come on this forum. You decided the reward of playing the game itself and those good people you have met here outweigh what you might see. By your own choice, you have to deal with things YOU find are uncomfortable, where I see them as normal pool room behavior.

Do not judge others by the standards you feel are appropriate. Accept who they are and how they are, and you can pray for them that they may find the light that you yourself have said you have felt. Do not frustrate yourself by thinking the reality that is, should be the reality you envision. Be the reality you yourself would like to see, and hope that others might post and conduct themselves by that good example.

Who knows in the end what will sell pool, or if it'll even take off at all. Maybe the guys are right about Earl and Keith getting on ESPN. I know the squeaky family friendly image I have been a part of selling on the WPBA has not worked for ESPN audiences as of yet.

girlwon1

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Sweet Marissa said:
People fighting, flaming, demeaning, baiting, attacking, belittling, cheating, stealing... Bickering over a difference of opinion from anything to aiming techniques to bad grammar... Hatrid over another's political stance... And that's just on the forums! The forums are supposed to be a social network to promote pool and meet others who shared passion for it.

There is so much animosity in the pool world, and not just on the forums. It seems we will continue to be bad representatives for something we claim to love until it becomes a crushed butterfly.

So what is the solution in your opinion.
bowdown.gif

enzo

Banned
since we just had the "challenge of champions" on tv, i recently posted how during the first (or second) year of this event it was held in vegas and the event was put up on the board and odds set on the players. mike lebron went off at 20 to 1.

guess who won? yes, lebron for those that are still naive to the real world of pool.

this was the first and last time pool was on the board (it may not have been the last, not sure actually)..... but my point is, stuff like this is exactly why pool goes nowhere..... i mean that was a big deal what the players did there publicly dissing vegas whether we all know it or not.

cuedaddy

Banned
Zanex, and a cold beer.
Ive had experience to the fact that a good portion of the pool community is addicted to pain medication.. Could the incohesion of our community attribute to this?
Any thoughts

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
There is one thing that baseball,football, tennis, golf, bowling and so on have in common........they are played in schools, or in after school leagues.

TV isn't gonna do much if there is not enough demand.

You want pool to grow and change, get the kids involved, thats the future of pool. When my daughter was a junior in high school, one of her classes she took was bowling. I'm like why not pool.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well when I was a kid growing up in Miami Florida in the 1950's, our BOYS CLUB, (not the PC Boys & Gwirls Club Circa 2008) had 3 or 4 Pool Tables.

The tables were always popular with the BOYS mostly you played until you lost, and then got in line to play the winner when it was your turn again.

We gambled for a Penny or Two Cents, as money was tight. But the point is or was the Boys Club was the place kids went, and participated in Pool, Sports like Footbal, Baseball, Basketball, Checkers, Chess, and the popular games of the day.

We walk to the Boys Club got out in the FRESH AIR, and play Pool as it was a big deal.

When we got older we went to REAL POOL ROOMS, and many of us still play 40-50 years later.

We did not spend out lives in front of the TV, on Cell Phones, or Text Messaging, and getting FAT.

Time are different now.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Sweet Marissa said:

There is so much animosity in the pool world, and not just on the forums. It seems we will continue to be bad representatives for something we claim to love until it becomes a crushed butterfly.

Don't forget all of the hatrid for bad spelling too.
JoeyA

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Da Bank said:
sweet sweet marissa you make a good point.

Although, I must say this isn't just a pool problem, this is a people problem... this is an American problem. Our country is in a bad place right now, people in general are angry, and there is always going to be someone looking to cut corners and cheat someone.

I mentioned this same type of thing in another thread. This forum is simply a reflection of what is going on in our country, and world for that matter. These are scary times, and people are uneasy and unsure. People are going out of their way to make others lives miserable for no reason, not even for their own personal gains. There is definitely a serious problem right now. What is the answer? Not just here, but with people everywhere. I have recently started doing some student teaching and I really am starting to enjoy it and understand how important it is to make an influence and try to breed good, well-accomplished citizens. I guess I have experience and realize that you really truly only feel good about yourself when you know you have made a difference in somebody and made an improvement in their life. I just think it is something we need to think about. Lets quit spending so much time trying to hurt one another, and come together and make this a better place to be, not only the for the forum, for the entire pool community, the country, and the world. Anybody with me?

Danny Kuykendal

Danny K
Silver Member
Marissa, until members start posting who they are, this forum will stay the same, period. You might claim that pool is a different kind of sport and people are generally nicer in other types of games, maybe so.

Once you can trace a name to a face and the person has to take responsibility for what they say, then this would become a much more respectful forum.

If you notice, I don't post much here anymore, it's just too hostile.

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
cuebux said:
Zanex, and a cold beer.
Ive had experience to the fact that a good portion of the pool community is addicted to pain medication.. Could the incohesion of our community attribute to this?
Any thoughts

Pain meds definitely aren't the drug o' choice around here -- pool players or not. That's a bit of a broad statement.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
thanks for the reminder

Sweet Marissa said:

Good observations.

There are many fine people in the pool world today things will get better.

IMO Just pointing it out and talking about this helps too.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Im with ya

1on1pooltournys said:
I mentioned this same type of thing in another thread. This forum is simply a reflection of what is going on in our country, and world for that matter. These are scary times, and people are uneasy and unsure. People are going out of their way to make others lives miserable for no reason, not even for their own personal gains. There is definitely a serious problem right now. What is the answer? Not just here, but with people everywhere. I have recently started doing some student teaching and I really am starting to enjoy it and understand how important it is to make an influence and try to breed good, well-accomplished citizens. I guess I have experience and realize that you really truly only feel good about yourself when you know you have made a difference in somebody and made an improvement in their life. I just think it is something we need to think about. Lets quit spending so much time trying to hurt one another, and come together and make this a better place to be, not only the for the forum, for the entire pool community, the country, and the world. Anybody with me?

I see these things myself.One answer is to withdraw from public entirely.Another answer is to guide and teach young people about life.Not just youngsters but everyone needs a positive role-model sometimes.

RED LITE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try looking in the mirror, Marissa

Say, Marissa -

If you are offended by female avatars, what about your own (male) avatar?

And, by the way, don't you think your sign-off paragraph might be offensive to some people?

It's partially quoted here:

it is as if the chicken and the cow are making love and then simultaneously burst into an orgasm in your mouth!!! :eek:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny Kuykendal said:
Marissa, until members start posting who they are, this forum will stay the same, period.

Yea, coming from a guy who hides behind a goofy screen name. If only I knew who you were!:smile: :p

poke&hope

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its no wonder

Sweet Marissa thanks for this post it makes me realize how lucky I am. Da Bank is right its a people problem but people and pool rooms are not the same everywhere. I have to admit though, like cancer, its spreading fast. The room I attend two pretty girls in their late 20s greet you when you enter the door. If its been a week since you've been there they ask where in the world or h-ll have you been. At 11am if you buy something to eat you can play free from 11 to 2 a hamburger will do. From 2 to 6 they got what they call the special it costs 6 dollars. So you can play from 11am to 6pm for 6 and a hambuger Mon-Fri. Sat the special is from 9am to 2pm. Sunday and all other hours full price. All the old timers(55-80) and young pool players that love the game are there. You will see the old timers playing one pocket because they can think longer than they can walk. One or two young men in ther early 20s will be playing with them. Most are not great players anymore but love the game and love seeing each other. They are explaining to the young ones the strategy of the game and make excuses why they missed the last shot. You will hear someone ask hows your brother I heard he was sick I hope he's doing alright. On the other side of the room with 9 gold crowns, is a player in his late 50's practicing. A lad of about 25 walks over and asks if he can play with him. He says yes but during the play he sees a terrible stance and no bridge so asks if he would like some pointers to speed his game up a bit. The lads eyes get big and of course that was his motive all along. After a couple of hours the old man says thats all I can show you today I will teach you more next time I see you.You hear laughter coming from the one pocket table somebody has told a joke or a funny story about somebody they all know. The reason you can hear and see all this is because its a no smoking room and theres not much rap or music from hell playing because they tried it and the old timers quit coming and told the owner they did not want to hear the f word every other breath on loud speakers and would like to be able to talk to each other. At 6 the girls holler the special is over but the old men say "let us finish the game darling". The girls just smile because they know it will be 30 more minutes to finish their one pocket game but she doesn't put them on time. Now the old timers and young pool addicts start to leave. As their leaving you can hear the music change from music to shoot pool by to music to shoot during a drive by and the crowd and mood slowly changes. The old men stand outside sometimes and tell stories of the 70s-80s when this was a hotspot for poolplayers. You hear stories about Mark Tad, Mizerak, Tony Watson when he was a kid, Kim Davenport, Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, somebody called the hippie and many more from people that were there who make you wish you were. I am sorry this is so long and I apoligize but this is part of my experience where I play and I love it.:eek: Thanks to Marissa I no longer will take it for granted. Oh! by the way Marissa and other posters, if you take a look at Washinton DC I think you will find everything you mentioned on a much larger scale. Its not the pool world its the new world. Good Luck, I think were going to need it.:smile: