Ivory Cues and the effect of the Cali incident..

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Looking for cue makers and dealers input on the effect the Gina Cue and other issues with ivory being used. Has the Sales slowed or the demand more for pre-ban ivory cues. Is the value going up and if so what percentage. Or should a dealer stear clear of them....

Attachments

• Derby 17 pics 002.jpg
    Derby 17 pics 002.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,188

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
What happened with Gina involved INTERNATIONAL shipping of ivory inlaid cues. That has been and will continue to be unlawful. There are a few states, including California where there is a state law forbidding the sale of anything involving an elephant even if 10,000 years old. For the rest of the country there was an executive order prohibiting the sale of items with even small amounts of ivory but that order was a bit confusing and will likely not be upheld by the new administration. I am seeing most of the cuemakers in my network move away from ivory to other materials. Cues without ivory are what I am ordering for my site across the board. Ivory is not necessary in a pool cue. Sadly, the law I have to live with does nothing to address the poaching problem. USA cuemakers were never a part of that problem to start with.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ernie's Crime Had Zero Impact On The Ivory Ban

I was recently approached last month about selling two of my custom cues.

Both offers were substantially higher then what I paid for either pool cue and
as FYI, the two cues was a Jerry R. custom and the other pool cue was my EP cue.

I turned down both buyers because these cues cannot be ordered from either cue-maker.
Jerry is retired & Ed resides in California where all ivory of any type or amount is banned.
So rather than make a tidy profit, I'm hanging onto my cues which may increase in value.

When a pool cue is scarce, unique or rare, you are positioned to do well but the cue-maker
name is of enormous importance. Fortunately for me, that works in my favor and all my cues
pass along to my children. But who knows what the market would do 15-20 years from now?

Regardless, that's ultimately their headache to deal with as I'm just enjoying owning & playing
with my cues in the meantime. I played today with a new cue that had to be built using Elforyn
as it was made by a CA cue-maker. It hit okay but the sound of the hit and the feel was indeed
different. Nope, I'm hanging onto and hording my cues although I am trying to get just one more.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/06/china-ban-ivory-life-worse-elephants-poaching

It was forewarned... I have read that there is a rush in China to stock up until the ban is "enforced". This article outlines what could be a worse scenario and it is coming.. If you haven't been reading.. a very large "tusker" was taken down by a poison arrow. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/africa-tusker-elephant-satao/

I told you the ban would actually be worse.. and here you go. Did you notice the poacher in France that walked right into a zoo and slain a Rhino.. All that burned and discarded ivory could have paid for some real protection and put a kink in the supply.. Liberals.. so smart.. yet so stupid.

JV

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/06/china-ban-ivory-life-worse-elephants-poaching

It was forewarned... I have read that there is a rush in China to stock up until the ban is "enforced". This article outlines what could be a worse scenario and it is coming.. If you haven't been reading.. a very large "tusker" was taken down by a poison arrow. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/africa-tusker-elephant-satao/

I told you the ban would actually be worse.. and here you go. Did you notice the poacher in France that walked right into a zoo and slain a Rhino.. All that burned and discarded ivory could have paid for some real protection and put a kink in the supply.. Liberals.. so smart.. yet so stupid.

JV

What's even worse the idiots don't have enough sense to realize that the destruction of the confiscated ivory just raises the value of the poached ivory. Which means the poachers can make more money killing elephants. And like you say the money for the confiscated ivory could be used to help save some animals, maybe by shooting some poachers. At my age all this really doesn't affect me as I haven't bought a cue in 20 years and will sell some before I will likely be buying.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe cuemakers who live in a state that allows it and they can find ivory in their state or currently own some will continue to make a few ivory inlay cues. The majority of their cues will be ivory-less with some type replacement product, bone or plastic.

In the long run, short of Trump's Administration changing the Obama executive order, there will be fewer and fewer ivory inlay cues built. You can only sell one to someone who lives in your State.

Prices will go up to the buyers who still prefer ivory.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen asking prices going up. I don't know how much of that is being realized in the final deal but the market is changing.

Higher asking prices, but cues are harder to move because of shipping. Not sure how that will end up.....

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the above rational, local and federal authorities should sell all the drugs they confiscate to pay for addiction programs. Conservatives, so well educated yet so damn ignorant.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the above rational, local and federal authorities should sell all the drugs they confiscate to pay for addiction programs. Conservatives, so well educated yet so damn ignorant.

Wow.

Is that an attempt to get the thread shut down or moved to NPR?

My post is above yours...were you talking to me? I didn't offer any sociopolitical rational.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, it was aimed at those who stated selling confiscated ivory would help the situation.

With regard to the original question, the only local maker in the Portland area has decided not to use ivory at all as he doesn't want to deal with any potential hassles.

My personal belief is the cues with ivory will demand more, but the market will be much smaller as it will be within state lines.

With the new administration, who knows what's going to happen. Odds are Fish and game will be defunded and it won't matter.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Nothing even remotely the same between the two issues.

JV

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pass all the laws you want......elephants will still get poached which has nothing to do with
banning ivory in the entire USA if you will. The fact of the matter is intelligent regulation of
sales of ivory that was brought into the USA 50 years ago....got that.......pre-ban ivory 1978,
not poached ivory, would accomplish a lot more since it can be heavily taxed and licensed
with the resultant revenues being directed to fortify & improve animal conservation programs.
Pushing that old line of bullshit that stopping the sale and use of ivory brought into the USA
decades ago is just being aberrant minded and stubborn. Watch what happens after 2019
when China stops all ivory traffic and the elephant population continues to shrink. China is
the largest consumer of ivory in the world & even that won't curtail the poaching of elephants.
Pre-ban ivory here in the USA does not foster or invite the current poaching of elephants today.

Matt B.