Ivory

Jhunter354

Should be practicing
Silver Member
What are the reasons for an ivory ferrule? Are they worth the money?

Also, what are the pads under the tip for? Advantages?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
There are no advantages to ivory and as a matter of fact, there are distinct dis-advantages.
Ivory is heavy, therefore it produces more QB deflection.
It's brittle and subject to crack.
You have to kill an elephant to get it.

The pad used under the tip serves a purpose of protecting the ivory ferrule because it is brittle.
No, it's not worth the money or the bad Karma.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no advantages to ivory and as a matter of fact, there are distinct dis-advantages.

The pad used under the tip serves a purpose of protecting the ivory ferrule because it is brittle.

Good post!! Was just wondering about that yesterday and today. Thanks for clearing it up.

fiftyfifty

FiftyFifty
Silver Member
Ivory Ferrule

I would say that I mostly agree with the post above but would like to add a little, Ivory does offer a very specific hit which some people really like, and also all ivory should be pre ban so if laws are followed there should be no more elephant deaths.

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What a slanted post.....

Ivory is without a doubt - in my opinion - the best ferrule material there is. It's very sleek, does not get dirty, and has a hit you cannot replicate.

I own many cues, and all but one (maybe two) have ivory ferrules, and I've never killed an elephant. Guess that means you don't have to kill to have one....

It's not brittle, and like anything - yes, it can be subject to crack. My playing cue today has an ivory ferrule on it - with no pad. I use it to play, break, and jump with. I do have a pretty hard break as well.

I've never broken, cracked, or damaged an ivory ferrule.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
What are the reasons for an ivory ferrule? Are they worth the money?

Also, what are the pads under the tip for? Advantages?

only advantage to me is it stays clean. I don't mind how they play, but I like lbm more. Never broke a ivory ferrule, or cracked one for that matter. Have seen some crack, but none on any of my cues over the years.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member

all ivory should be pre ban so if laws are followed there should be no more elephant deaths.

Elephants are not the only animals that produce ivory. For those that would like an ivory ferrule or anything made of ivory for that matter then the preban ivory is the answer. A lot of people dont realize all the things that are made of ivory and I bet some of those people that knock a cue for having it as a ferrule or inlay has never thought about it when looking at a high quality piano or lots of other things.

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elephants are not the only animals that produce ivory. For those that would like an ivory ferrule or anything made of ivory for that matter then the preban ivory is the answer. A lot of people dont realize all the things that are made of ivory and I bet some of those people that knock a cue for having it as a ferrule or inlay has never thought about it when looking at a high quality piano or lots of other things.

All this coming from a guy with Ivory in his middle name.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I think I saw or read somewhere that elephants are having their tusks removed so that pochers have no reason to kill them. Not 100% sure on this but if this is the case I wonder if they are selling the ivory.

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
I wouldn't own a serious player without an Ivory ferule.

Like 1pRoscoe, I also feel Ivory is the best ferule you can get. Nothing hits like Ivory.

FeltMaster

You Get The 8
Silver Member
What a slanted post.....

Ivory is without a doubt - in my opinion - the best ferrule material there is. It's very sleek, does not get dirty, and has a hit you cannot replicate.

I own many cues, and all but one (maybe two) have ivory ferrules, and I've never killed an elephant. Guess that means you don't have to kill to have one....

It's not brittle, and like anything - yes, it can be subject to crack. My playing cue today has an ivory ferrule on it - with no pad. I use it to play, break, and jump with. I do have a pretty hard break as well.

I've never broken, cracked, or damaged an ivory ferrule.

I just started playing regularly with an Ivory ferrule without a pad. I was a devowed Predator fan, but this cue Paul Sumrall made me is the nuts.
I play the same as I would with my predator, no deflection difference at all.
Probably had alot to do with Paul's shaft making than just the ferrule...

Oh, and no chalk stains!

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I like the hit of an ivory ferrule, but I like the hit of LBM just as well. I can miss balls all day with either one, lol.

Joe

nc9ball

Registered
I have ivory ferrules on my Josey. I like the hit but it is a matter of opinion. Never had one crack or break and I don't have the pads under the tips. I think that you will find maybe different opinions on the hit of a ivory ferrule. Just as with any cue , tip , joint type some will like 1 while others hate the hit. The only way to find out is for you to shoot with one and see if you like it.

Jhunter354

Should be practicing
Silver Member
For those who have used them, are they worth the $$$ to have one installed plus a new tip? I have two shafts for my cue and Im just curious about experimenting with one shaft to see if I like the hit of ivory or not.

Last edited:

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like ivory ferrules, but even more so..............ivory joints. AND, I don't mind the fact that an elephant had to die (LEGALLY) for me to enjoy my ivory. Datz just duh way tiz my friend. Yes, it would be nice if animals didn't have to die in order to accomodate our lifestyles, but not in this world. Moderation, and respect are the keys to the balance of nature.

dave

scottyr44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pad under the tip has two purposes one to protect the ferrule as mentioned and when changing tips the end of the ferrule is usually sanded lightly to unsure it is flat. So when they cut the tip off they leave the pad and sand that as not to wear down the ferrule.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I insist on ivory ferrelles and usually ivory joint.

I prefer the hit, and feel.

Ken

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I insist on ivory ferrelles and usually ivory joint.

I prefer the hit, and feel.

Ken